Finally found him

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
I shot this buck on Dec 10 and could not find him. I was in a ground blind with my slug gun actually hoping to see a bear and this dude stepped into the path 230 yards away. I watched him and knew I did not have him on camera so I figured he was just passing through. I was torn about taking such a far shot and kept hesitating but finally fired. I found no blood that evening and it rained that night but I kept looking for days. I decided to go this morning and give it one more try and finally walked up on him. Bittersweet for me as I hate to have wasted such a nice buck but happy that I have his antlers at least. On a side note it was all bones and nothing else left but some smell so something ate well!! He measured 18.5" outside and was 16.5" tall. Going to let my buddy finish a skull mount for me that mother nature started.
waterhole 2 2016.jpgwaterhole 2016.jpg

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
Actually was about 40 yards from the original shot. Seems he doubled back at some point and got in some thick stuff beside a small pond in the woods. Thing is I never heard him get up that evening when I first shot and there was no blood going towards the pond. No doubt it is the one I shot though. I told a couple of buddies that he was tall and about 18" wide that night. Have since found out that a friend on an adjoining tract had just started getting pics of him and a big 9 point within a couple of days of me shooting him. No other pics of him the entire season.

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Glad you found the skull but sorry you could not recover that first attempt. A tracking dog would probably have taken you right to him- just something to keep in mind for future problems. Nice buck!

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
I wish I knew someone close that had one. I am actually thinking about getting a bloodhound pup and working with him myself just for fun.

ChasinTrophies

I wish I knew someone close that had one. I am actually thinking about getting a bloodhound pup and working with him myself just for fun.

It doesn't have to be a hound! My friend has a lab that I'd put against any dog out there!

Congrats!! I'm glad you found him!

Last edited:

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
At that distance I am not sure if I had an exit wound which explains why I had no blood trail. I went back to the remains today hoping to find the slug but he had been drug around too much so no luck.

cowgirl

Four Pointer
My lab Shepard mix is 100% on finding deer blood or not. She can blood trail or air track. We are in Davidson county if you ever need help in the future.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
good for you
I hope I can find mine someday

Last edited:

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
My lab Shepard mix is 100% on finding deer blood or not. She can blood trail or air track. We are in Davidson county if you ever need help in the future.

Thanks for the offer cowgirl but we are a good ways apart. It would have been awesome to have you close when I shot him!! :greenjump:

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
Are we talking about a sabot slug gun?

It is a 24" rifled barrel Mossberg made around 1970 and it holds the best group of any slug gun I have ever fired. The biggest buck that I have ever killed was taken with this same gun. She LOVES a Hornady slug best of all.