Yellow Lab pup - name?

cmcarter

Six Pointer
My wife and I got a male yellow lab pup yesterday for our daughters first birthday.
I was hoping that y'all could help us with a name.
He will be a hunting dog as well as a family dog. If anyone has a good name suggestion, post it up! For the time being we've defaulted to Zeus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Not a name for yours but look at all the things around your daughter, what she likes and does maybe a connection.

My last lab I got named her Shadow.
She is one of the darkest black labs I have seen, great color and shine.
We picked her up In a thunderstorm, got home she wanted out and walking around the yard that night she liked to chase my shadow then she found hers and would chase and bark at hers..
When we let her go to my other labs Big water dish she thought it was a lake for her to swim in.
The water dish was large enough for here to jump into and lay down and push all the water out.
At that point we found she loves the water. Would not pass a creek or water hole that she would not play in or just lay down in.
Also she reminded me of a black back Shad Rap bait I love to fish with, she ran around with here head to the ground darting all over the place looking for stuff and wanted to smell everything.
So her name ended with Lady Shadow of the Lake.

I call her Shad or Shad Rap all the time.

Last edited:

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Post a photo of your dog, it'll help with the naming.

Its funny that Mr.Gadget named his Lab Shadow - that's what we named our current dog. He was a stray that wandered down our driveway one day, and when my wife called him to come to her, he struck at her side and wouldn't leave, just like her "Shadow."

I've always preferred picking a name relating to some trait that the dog exhibits.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Post a photo of your dog, it'll help with the naming.

Its funny that Mr.Gadget named his Lab Shadow - that's what we named our current dog. He was a stray that wandered down our driveway one day, and when my wife called him to come to her, he struck at her side and wouldn't leave, just like her "Shadow."

I've always preferred picking a name relating to some trait that the dog exhibits.

yep I had a list of names picked for the dog even before I got to seen her.
All that went out the door and I picked something that fit the dog not fit what I wanted to call a dog before I ever seen or played with her.

wcjones

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Named my yellow lab Hagen. When she was a pup her favorite toy was an empty dip can. Always meant to get a male and name him Cope....so I could have Cope and Hagen but now that she's almost 10 I think I waited to long

cmcarter

Six Pointer
Not a name for yours but look at all the things around your daughter, what she likes and does maybe a connection.

My last lab I got named her Shadow.
She is one of the darkest black labs I have seen, great color and shine.
We picked her up In a thunderstorm, got home she wanted out and walking around the yard that night she liked to chase my shadow then she found hers and would chase and bark at hers..
When we let her go to my other labs Big water dish she thought it was a lake for her to swim in.
The water dish was large enough for here to jump into and lay down and push all the water out.
At that point we found she loves the water. Would not pass a creek or water hole that she would not play in or just lay down in.
Also she reminded me of a black back Shad Rap bait I love to fish with, she ran around with here head to the ground darting all over the place looking for stuff and wanted to smell everything.
So her name ended with Lady Shadow of the Lake.

I call her Shad or Shad Rap all the time.

See that's perfect and exactly how a dog should be named. My daughter loves deer but I can't name the dog deer haha.

cmcarter

Six Pointer
I'll get more pictures up this afternoon. I'm replace a fuel pump right now.

b26e6133af1b1660afb1107a899300fb.jpg

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
There is a lot to do with deer and deer hunting.
See what the dog likes, does not need to be names the first few days.

If I another light yellow male that was like some of the traits of mine I would name him Mr. Bones after the way all labs love deer horns and chewing them and bones

Maybe a different spelling .

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
Keeping with the mythology idea, how bout Argus? Ulysses' loyal dog from the Odyssey. After Ulysses returned home years after his adventures/trials as an old man, Argus was the only one who recognized him when he returned home. He dropped over dead from old age once Ulysses petted his head. My boyhood dog's name and my next bird dog's.

cmcarter

Six Pointer
For a hunting dog I choose something easy to say, short and quick.

That's the plan.

Lots of good suggestions here. My wife and I always wanted to name a dog Crockett because we were planning to name our boy Boone. But Crockett doesn't fit this dog, and I can't call him crock for short

cmcarter

Six Pointer
I'll post some pictures when I get home. Got the fuel pump in and testing her out now.

cowgirl

Four Pointer
I usually name dogs off a weird instinct or feeling. It may take me a few days before I come up with a name. Just spend time with him and it should come. Just looking at his pic the first thing that popped in my head was Argo. I have no idea why lol. Have fun with him and name him what you want. Pretty pup!

GregC

Six Pointer
Neighbor named his Shephard D**mit- pretty funny to here him call him- Come here.....
Real suggestions - love labs named Reagan and Ruger

cmcarter

Six Pointer
Thanks for all the good suggestion guys. I think we're going to stick with Zeus.
As y'all suggested, a dogs name usually comes from the personality of the dog or the experience around it. Yes our daughter had her first birthday party and everyone thought she called him Zeus. So it's going to stick.

Shine

Six Pointer
Contributor
I have two yellow labs back home and both were hunting dogs. Remi (short for Remington) and Gauge (shotgun gauge).