Fox Squirrels

Songdoghunter

Twelve Pointer
My parents live in Onslow county just outside of Richlands. Their home is surrounded by farm land with the closest wooded areas over 400 yards away. To my surprise, I noticed a fox squirrel feeding on sawtooth acorns in their yard back in November. He was mostly silver with some black and grey on his head, a big white spot between the eyes and black, long tufted hair on the ears. Today while visiting, my dad told me he sees 2 of them all the time in the yard and they nest in a large tulip popular full of vines on a field line ditch next to his yard. This morning I saw the other one and it looks like an oversized grey squirrel with a black brown and white head but has white tufted ears. While I've seen dozens over the years in the long leaf pine plantations in the area, some all black, I don't fully understand why these 2 have taken up residence here. I've encouraged my dad to put up a feeding station for them in hopes that they will reproduce. They have a large nest in the poplar tree. I had my big camera with me today but no long lens to get a decent picture. Just curious if any of you have them in your yards and would love to see some pictures so I can see the color variations. Thanks!

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Seen them in multiple colors all in the same areas. Blacks and greys represent the dominate colors in most I have seen.

Boojum

Ten Pointer
I have never seen a fox squirrel in the wild, always wanted to. They are pretty cool critters.

bubba2009

Twelve Pointer
we have tons of them down in Moore and Montgomery counties they loce to steal your corn and esp cob corn.

EMB

Ten Pointer
We have a few on our lease. Usually I see them the most during bow season. I've had them within 12 to 15 feet of my climber a couple times. They just sit there checking me out then move on. The two I see the most are obviously male and female, one all black and the other predominantly white. They are some big squirrels, about 2.5 times that of a normal squirrel. We leave them alone and don't hunt them, as we would like to see more of them

Black Jack

Four Pointer
Yes, I have them in my yard but I have 3 acres of hardwoods that adjoin a 10 acre pine thicket. I built my house in 2015 and they are still skittish. As soon as they see me, they are gone.

C52

Eight Pointer
we had a real cool red and white one, but I haven't seen him in acouple years. I have a black and white one that I see everytime I hunt one of my stands. Both are at woods though.