Thurmond Chatham Access

DeerMechanic

Ive never been up to thurmond chatham game lands, but I plan on going up there in the next couple of weekends and doing some serious scouting so I can bow hunt it some this season. I would love to know what section is the D section and how to access it. Im guessing by looking at the maps that you can access it from behind the Brinegar Cabin but not sure if thats allowed. I really hope someone with some recent knowledge of this land could give me some insight to it. Thanks in advance!

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Only access was Air bellows gap the cabin was disabled access but now with the changing in open carry I think you can access by cabin now as well easy and best way to know is call park HQ or catch ranger on road and talk. I know the Air Bellows is still open just remember to stay n designated access trail and remember wherever you hunt in there the drag out will be brutal trust me I know from experience

DeerMechanic

Only access was Air bellows gap the cabin was disabled access but now with the changing in open carry I think you can access by cabin now as well easy and best way to know is call park HQ or catch ranger on road and talk. I know the Air Bellows is still open just remember to stay n designated access trail and remember wherever you hunt in there the drag out will be brutal trust me I know from experience

What do you mean by the changing of open carry? Are you allowed to open carry a pistol at this game land ?

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I hope you're in good shape. I mean real good shape. You ha e to hike in about a half hour straight down hill before you get to game land. I was there just before Christmas and met a guy who wasn't playing by the rules. He was hunting deer off the BRPKWY. Not cool.
Lots of hardwoods and not that much deer sign unless you cross a ridge or two.
You'll need to get a pack frame for the fastest way to bring your game back to your truck. Can you de-bone a deer and carry 80 pounds for a slow uphill hike?

DeerMechanic

I hope you're in good shape. I mean real good shape. You ha e to hike in about a half hour straight down hill before you get to game land. I was there just before Christmas and met a guy who wasn't playing by the rules. He was hunting deer off the BRPKWY. Not cool.
Lots of hardwoods and not that much deer sign unless you cross a ridge or two.
You'll need to get a pack frame for the fastest way to bring your game back to your truck. Can you de-bone a deer and carry 80 pounds for a slow uphill hike?

Im from west virginia brother, ive hunted mountains all my life and i know how tuff it can be. Thats the beauty of it for me though. The experience , trials and tribulations , all for the chance at a monster. I do realize that a 30 minute walk downhill is about 2 miles. So you are telling me you have to walk 2 miles before you make it to gameland? Are you walking really really slowly?

gameland

Twelve Pointer
I've walked into the gameland from the access off of the parkway. It wasn't a thirty minute walk for me but it is all down hill. I wasn't lucky enough to have to pack or drag a deer back up that hill but it is tough hunting.

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Im from west virginia brother, ive hunted mountains all my life and i know how tuff it can be. Thats the beauty of it for me though. The experience , trials and tribulations , all for the chance at a monster. I do realize that a 30 minute walk downhill is about 2 miles. So you are telling me you have to walk 2 miles before you make it to gameland? Are you walking really really slowly?
Lol. I was just trying to deter you because I fell in love with that place and will be going back. I also plan on hunting McDowell County in VA as well. I love the mountains. Hoping to go out west again for elk and muley next year. Need a scouting partner next week, I'm in.

Last edited:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Did you mean McDowell county West Virginia? If your used to hunting the southern part of West Va public land you'll be fine as far as monster goes I wouldn't hold out to long never seen any monsters in there and been hunting it for 20 years but it has potential for decent one. ANd no its not a 30 minute walk in but its decent drag just along the access trail that used to be a disability road at one time where disabled hunters could take 4 wheeler into but they had to stop that due to wash out and them not being able to go in and repair it their is no real management in that section due to same thing while all the other sections have good cutovers and food plots they can't get in there to that there. As far as law I wasn't referring to pistols I would highly suggest you call the rangers office they will tell you exactly and you will also need to know about transporting game on the parkway do not let people tell you that its OK if you get checked and they do patrol you will have a very uncomfortable conversation. Make the call and save some inconvience and maybe a ticket down the road I talked to head ranger up in Avery he gave me his card and specifically told me everything need to know very nice and easy to deal with people they would rather you do things the right way makes their jobs easier

DeerMechanic

Yes, WV not VA.

I got a house in mcdowell county a mile from the game lands that i have been renting out but im going to turn it into my hunting headquarters this year. Ima hit that all bow county hard this season because i know those strip mine mountains like the back of my hand. Hopefully ill have a nice one to post on here this bow season for you guys to enjoy.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Good luck there are some nice ones in there I don't fool much with deer just turkey the strip mines seems to have helped the bird population in Va and West Va as well as the gas wells