Good trip

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Went out to west TN for our annual duck hunt. This hunt never disappoints. First day was slow and ended with 10 but fri and sat were on fire all day long. Think we had 28 on Friday and Saturday ended with 48. As is always the case, we killed the majority of our birds between 11am and 3pm. Killed mainly mallards but had gadwalls, teal, pintails, wigeon, shovelers, wood ducks and a couple ringnecks.
If y'all guys never hunted these areas on the Miss flyway, y'all owe it to yourself to try it. I love my home state and all it has to offer, but I'm completely satisfied at my age to hunt three days there and not worry about anywhere else.

agreenchicken

Ten Pointer
You are making me regret my decision. Got a call last week to go hunt west ten for 2 days. Decided not to go but looks like I should have gone! Congrats

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
Went out to west TN for our annual duck hunt. This hunt never disappoints. First day was slow and ended with 10 but fri and sat were on fire all day long. Think we had 28 on Friday and Saturday ended with 48. As is always the case, we killed the majority of our birds between 11am and 3pm. Killed mainly mallards but had gadwalls, teal, pintails, wigeon, shovelers, wood ducks and a couple ringnecks.
If y'all guys never hunted these areas on the Miss flyway, y'all owe it to yourself to try it. I love my home state and all it has to offer, but I'm completely satisfied at my age to hunt three days there and not worry about anywhere else.

Public land or guided? I keep telling myself I'm going to go but never have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Guide. Been hunting with him for last 7 years and he and his buddies have all became good friends. Plan on hunting with him as long as I'm alive. Haha

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
You are making me regret my decision. Got a call last week to go hunt west ten for 2 days. Decided not to go but looks like I should have gone! Congrats

You may not have missed anything then. Things were slow from about last Friday thru Thursday. Friday, a lot of birds moved in. I've never seen so many pintails in my life. Started seeing pintails about 930 and for the next 6 hrs, there may have been 10 minutes total when there was not flicks of pintails flying over. And then Friday, teal were flying pretty much all day, so there was a lot of new birds, showed up those two days.

duckhunterwst

Eight Pointer
Very nice!! Would you mind sharing some of the finer details of the outfitter? Cost and lodging? How far of a drive to the water? How far of a boat ride? Flooded timber? Thanks!

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Matt Barnett. Mallards Unlimited. Wekillducks.com
I can guarantee you no matter how bad you want to kill a duck or think you like duck hunting, he wants to kill a duck worse. Haha. Man eats, sleeps and breathes ducks.
No lodging. We stay in a motel in dyersburg and his place is about 20-25 minute drive. Take about a mile boat ride in a ditch that winds through the woods where it opens up into a huge buck brush swamp. $200/day/person and he wants groups of 4-8. Get breakfast in the blind.
He's a good guy and proud to call him a friend after hunting with him this many years.
Many say his place is possibly the best duck hole in west TN. He is fully booked by March every year and I'd be scared to guess how many he turns away.
He also guides in Canada and if your looking a bang up hunt there, he can hook you up.

Last edited: