First Hunting knife...

specialk

Twelve Pointer
I bought this knife back in the late 70's at a Kmart store down here in GA. I paid 14.99 and it was german made. I was 14-15 I guess, back then a kid buying a knife was commonplace. I used it a lot for the first few years but bought better knifes along the way. I cut the crap out of my finger about a week after I got it but never let my folks know(lol).....I lost the whetstone out of the holster at some point. I did however put a notch in the sheath every time I killed a buck or tom. I got about 70 deer notches and 19 turkey notches.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
very cool. 70 bucks? I hear ya lol wish I was on my way to that number

not to derail, but its funny you said it was commonplace for kids to buy knives... Im 23 and I got carded to buy a fillet knife at wally world the other day. I thought she was joking at first but nope, had to show her.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I grew up in Surry County and before I could even ride a bike I used to help our next door neighbor in his tobacco fields for the handsome sum of $0.30 an hour!! :cool:

Whenever I was able to get there, I would take my earnings and go to downtown Elkin and salivate at all the treasures in Brendle's!!

Here is my first knife purchased circa 1957 for the outrageous sum of $2.00! :cool:

It's really too big for a skinning knife but I didn't know that at the time........I thought it was a knife I could use in Indian wars while I was riding with John Wayne or traveling the backwoods with Davy Crockett!!

Now, it hangs in the kitchen and I use it often.......like me it has aged gracefully (or not)!!:rolleyes:

EDIT - Forgot to add measurements......the blade is 6" and overall length is 10.5"!

First_knife.jpg

Last edited:

I Hunt

Old Mossy Horns
I still carry an old Case Hunter with the Chestnut Bone handle that I have carried for 40 years and that I got when I was 14 or 15. It was back in the day of soft steel blades and not the newer hardened steel blades. I now have added a couple of custom knives to have but I still carry the old Case knife

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
That's cool. I just told my wife I wished I had some hunting gear from my childhood. I really wished I had the old photos my grandfather had of hunt camps when he was young. But all those are long gone.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I was given a really cool Queen Steel folding s/s skinner with stag scales and in a pattern very much like the Case XX skinners by my uncle at the ripe old age of about 11 or 12. That knife held an awesome edge and I had it for years until I let another "friend" bring his buddies to my hunting camp and it disappeared. The knife meant very little to me at that time since my grandpa and uncle were still alive at the time....now it would mean the world to me to have it back.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I once had a Solingen stag handle hunting knife that a long gone friend had given me when we first started hunting together. Much like yours, Eric, mine disappeared under suspicious circumstances.