Looks As If The Circus is Leaving Town

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Ringling Bros Barnum and Bailey Circus is taking down the big top as of May 2017 so a spokesperson for them says. After a 146 year run its all over for Ringling Bros...Over ten million people each year went to see the greatest show on Earth...Animal activists are elated that the Circus is done..A true American Icon will be gone forever as it looks now..

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I wonder why they caved to the "animal rights" dummies? if they had not would attendance have stayed steady?

either way I hate to see them go

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
Hate this , I'm sorry for the generations of children & adults who will miss out on getting to go to see the circus.

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
FB_IMG_1484606430659.jpg
The circus leaving was decided in Nov. ;)
Wait, wouldn't that mean that the elephants are moving in and in charge now?!

Last edited:

fishinRod

Ten Pointer
I was listening to a call in talk radio show today and this guy said that he took his grandkids and everybody in the audience had their nose stuck in a smart phone....nobody really watching the show...even the adults...I am a firm believer in Creation, but I also accept evolution...and this is a prime example..the telegraph, radio, telephone,TV, computer, cell phone, tablet....continuosly advancing to captivate the mind and be unaware of whats going on around you, only to be indocrinated by suggestive ideas of others

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I am witnessing plenty of examples of the circus coming to many cities and towns all over..it's all over the news.

wcjones

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
ea6a061db78843bf6099a151ae967e8a.jpg
99d4a6eb6a0dd3cbd6c4bca1610fe45d.jpg

Took my niece to see it almost two years ago and she really enjoyed it. We went to see the elephants before they got rid of them....I'll be honest the most boring part was the lions and tigers.

Hate to see it go

Last edited:

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
Sad to see them go. I have taken my kids each year. Once the elephants got kicked out there is only so many things you can do I guess.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I'm ok with it being gone.

The business model it relied on could never be sustained. As mentioned earlier, you can sit at the circus, and youtube daredevil acts while people are performing them right in front of you lol.

I never enjoyed it. Even as a kid I figured the animals must be miserable, I know what I went through from my Dad to mow the yard every week. I can't imagine what the critters went through to stand, kneel, sit, ride a bicycle, etc. I was anti the animals in the circus probably before peta was an organization. Take the animals out you're left with clowns (creepy freaks who can fit into a car that rivals sheetrockers) and crazy humans who do things that you keep part of your eyes obstructed.

Then of course, there was always (in my memory) the "smell" of the circus.

Plus I never liked popcorn.

GregC

Six Pointer
My hometown is Sarasota Fl - winter home to Ringling Bros - our High School had a Circus, the Wallendas all lived there - one was one of my teachers - great history around Ringling and the town. I am sure Cirque D Sole (however you spell it) took it to them. It was just an aging business model starting with the train. Very sad such an iconic part of our history and certainly part of all of our past....

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
My hometown is Sarasota Fl - winter home to Ringling Bros - our High School had a Circus, the Wallendas all lived there - one was one of my teachers - great history around Ringling and the town. I am sure Cirque D Sole (however you spell it) took it to them. It was just an aging business model starting with the train. Very sad such an iconic part of our history and certainly part of all of our past....

Yeah its sad for me as well that the Circus is shutting down but nothing lasts forever in this world. The railroad I worked for furnished locomotives for the circus train it came through twice each year...I remember one of our guys walking down the train to view the Elephants, they all had their trunks sticking outside the cars carrying them...One of the things they did when the train stopped was give the Elephants drinking water..One guy came back all wet, he was laughing about it..One of the Elephants sucked up a big trunk full of water and blew it all over him...Once a person got near the Elephant cars we figured out very quickly why the animals had their trunks hanging outside the cars. The smell from inside the cars would almost knock you down, it had to be darn near unbearable for the Elephants..I guess Ringling Bros. owned the rail cars and coaches for the crew...More than likely they will be cut up for scrap...

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I saw elephants chained together at the foot once at a state fair. Since then I have not cared for the exploitation of wild animals. I've seen plenty of other examples that I don't care for too.

Last edited:

Harpoon

We used to go see them at RFK Stadium complex in DC back in the day.....one year when we were around 11/12 or so, my friends Dad paid for us to ride a smaller elephant around the back lot.

Since their body hair was like needles, they took a propane torch and burned their hair follicles off.

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
I'll never forget son at age 2 clapping his hands heartily as a stuntman rode a motorcycle on a wire through the air. The trapeze artists blew his little mind, too. The marvel in that kid's eyes just tickled me to death!

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
I saw elephants chained together at the foot once at a state fair. Since then I have not cared for the exploitation of wild animals. I've seen plenty of other examples that I don't care for too.

Yeah I have seen that also Elephants chained at the feet. Many years ago my Mother went to the state fair in Raleigh with some friends..She saw two men beating a small Elephant the animal was bloody at the mouth she told us. My Mother not being shy confronted the two men about beating the Elephant. She said one of the men told her Lady, it has to be done this way..That's the only way we can break him so he can be used in our business here..

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I'm ok with it being gone.

The business model it relied on could never be sustained. As mentioned earlier, you can sit at the circus, and youtube daredevil acts while people are performing them right in front of you lol.

I never enjoyed it. Even as a kid I figured the animals must be miserable, I know what I went through from my Dad to mow the yard every week. I can't imagine what the critters went through to stand, kneel, sit, ride a bicycle, etc. I was anti the animals in the circus probably before peta was an organization. Take the animals out you're left with clowns (creepy freaks who can fit into a car that rivals sheetrockers) and crazy humans who do things that you keep part of your eyes obstructed.

Then of course, there was always (in my memory) the "smell" of the circus.

Plus I never liked popcorn.

I think we might have been separated at birth. Do you have a quarter sized birthmark on your back??? Lol

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I've been ... taken my kids when they were little ... I was never much for crowds.

Much rather be out in the woods.

obxfisherman83

Button Buck
I'm going to take my daughter in 2 weeks so she can have the experience. Very sad to see it go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I think we might have been separated at birth. Do you have a quarter sized birthmark on your back??? Lol

NOt sure how to respond to that. No I don't. Scared to say how close you are lol.

Edited to add, I do feel bad for parents whom think their youngins are going to miss a piece of American nostalgia.

The good news, imho, is 20 minutes on youtube with a wicked TV and entertainment system, might give them 10 minutes of similar entertainment, if you take their cell phones away.

And Fwiw, I don't disagree with zoo's, or even sea world (which made news this week also). In that, I hate the idea of Earth's largest land animal stuck in 3 acres, or a whale who's natural range is probably 20K plus miles, stuck in a 1.5 million gallon tank BUT, I believe the sacrifice of those few, to "entertain" or at least be seen, might help raise awareness of those out in the wild trying to survive poachers. The ones kids get to see and gawk at might be true martyrs for their species. Even though they don't realize it. Doesn't make it right, but it might make them last.

But as videos of natural actions become more readily available, perhaps the need for zoo's and animal shows will go away completely?

Last edited:

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
They're going broke fighting AR's in court. I worked for them in the early 80's up in DC at their main offices....I will miss getting free tickets!

Yep, beat em into submission with law suits something that should never happen IMO but they said attendance is way down so that hurts as well..