Shooting ducks on the water?

Jack's PA

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I am new to duck hunting. Only been a couple of times. Missed only two shots I have attempted.

I have not shot at ducks on the water. Last time out I had several land in the decoys but I chose not to shoot.

When they got up it was going away and I didn't want to shoot them in the butt.

What to do? Is it "ok" to shoot them on the water?

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
It aint against the law if that's what your asking. I imagine the responses to this will be about the same as the shooting hens thread. My thoughts are this, the hard part is tricking a duck into thinking those are his buddies sitting on the water and getting him to land amongst a bunch of plastic decoys. Not making a shot.

I have no problem with the ground swat. It impresses me more when you can get a duck to land in the spread, than it does pass shooting them at 35yds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no problem with a water swat especially on woodies. Can't count the number of times those antisocial creatures have buzzed my decoys and the swam to the edge to investigate. Not the preferred method but at the end of the day who really cares? Your ethics are different than mine and so on. Don't care for shooting them flying away but again that's my ethics. I find there's too much room for error and producing a cripple that could fly for several hundred yards before dying.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
folks advocate waiting till deer/elk/etc stop before killing them,,,,,but then shoot upland birds and ducks flying as fast as they can,,,,,,,

folks say to shoot turkeys sitting when they stick their heads up and stop,,,,,with shotguns,,,,,,,but doing the same with a rifle is "bad",,,,,,,,,

we shoot squirrels in the head,,,,but doing it to some other creature is "wrong",,,,,,,,

it's all about what is right to you,,,,and what's legal,,,,,,,

my only input is go for a clean kill and use the animal,,,,,,,,

other than that keep it legal,,,,,,,

as with any creature,,,,,make sure what's beyond in the swamp/marsh/lake,,,,,,,,,,,I got peppered once out in Washington state by a guy ground swatting one,,,,,,,,,,,,so be mindful of that (and I know you are a careful man Jack's Pa,,,,,,,,,)

coachcornbread

Ten Pointer
I let my kids waterswat them if they want to. Me personally would rather shoot them on the wing or flush just to keep it sporty. I'm not against waterswatting by any means, just don't prefer it.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I would never do it. I might jump them and let them get a good rise on them but would never do that with a merganser or woodie, only big ducks and probably only greenheads or known male birds.

Jack's PA

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I must say, this is not the response I expected.

I expected most to saw though it is legal, it is wrong.

While I don't believe it is wrong I also don't think it is the most sporting thing to do...like I said, not the preferred method. But that is my preferred method. I randomly happened to link up with a guy in my new home of NOVA the other day in some public land. He has only been hunting for a couple years and we got to talking while getting ready and eventually hunting together twice now. Good guy and I enjoy his company but he's not the best shot around. So, in order to provide him with a couple birds I started to let the birds land so he could water swat them. Once he shot I would take them on the rise. I could tell he was kind of embarrassed and unsure if he should be doing it. I told him that my ethics are not his ethics and while emulating them would be flattering, it is not necessary. He's a good guy and I'll hunt with any day. That's just an example and I didn't mean to get rambling. Just like shooting hens...not shooting them is mighty sporting but unnecessary and I doubt those that say they never shoot hens can tell the difference between a hen and drake woodie at LST (even if they claim they can). I've been at this game far too long to wish my ways upon any other man...other than skybusting birds working to my spread. That may still result in a bout of fisticuffs. You enjoy it how you want to enjoy, let others do the same and we can all carry on our merry way.

James

Last edited:

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I've shot them on the water a lot and probably will continue to do when the need arises.
But honestly, as far as straight killing a bird, it's easier to kill them flying. We've all done it. Shoot one on the water and it takes off. Happens over and over again. Unless they're right on you, you have more vitals exposed on a flying bird. Wings out, necks stretched, etc.... When they're sitting, basically all you got is a head shot. Anyone who's tried to finish a cripple at 40-50 yds knows how hard it is to do. And even then, some will still get away.

Einstein

Six Pointer
If he lands on the water, I won. That's exactly what I was trying to get him to do. However as another posted, I believe it is 100% easier to kill shot them when they are back pedaling about a foot off the water coming into land.

ChasinTrophies

I'd rather shoot them 2' above my spread while they're back peddling because I get tired of rattling decoys. I am not afraid of water swatting, but I'd say 50% of the time that swatted bird gets up and I have to shoot it again anyway. As far as birds flying away, I try not to shoot them straight away, but if they have any turn in their path (at a reasonable distance) you can guarantee I'm sending hot steel their way.

Greenhorn

Six Pointer
Water swatting ain't exactly easy either. I've swatted quite a few this year that got up and flew away (I either shot them again and they dropped or lost them in the background landscape darkness just at legal, which sucked), when pellets landed all around them. You gotta realize, when you water swat, you are not getting that BB trail anymore that the bird will fly into and, therefore, you are losing a good deal of punch. That's my theory, anyway. I'll water swat all day long but like I said, I've had better luck this year on the wing.

Last edited:

chevync20

Twelve Pointer
If they land on the water, I have obviously done my job. Steel shot is too expensive and duck hunting here is hard enough without trying to be "sporty." Chitty chitty bang bang on the water for me and less damage to the eatable meat.

Mallard Cutter

Six Pointer
If he lands on the water, I won. That's exactly what I was trying to get him to do. However as another posted, I believe it is 100% easier to kill shot them when they are back pedaling about a foot off the water coming into land.

THIS exactly !!

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
Ethics..hunters choice.. doing what's right, even if its not against the law is it right in YOUR eyes. Ducks on Water, dove on powerline, turkey on roost, button bucks, running deer with dogs, bow hunting, wearing orange on your own property.. All the choices you as a hunter have to make and none are against the law and its all your choice. Do what you think is right.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I must say, this is not the response I expected.

I expected most to saw though it is legal, it is wrong.

There just aren't a lot of birds inland, it's challenging enough just to get on them good. Finding birds is more challenging then shooting them in NC.

skydog

Like others have said, the trick is getting them to come into the decoys, how someone decides to kill them after that is up to them.

If one is on the water close in to the blind, I'll usually try to flush it and then shoot it on the wing. If one is 40 yards out and it's a slow day, I'll water swat it to avoid taking a long shot at it's back side.

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
Like others have said, the trick is getting them to come into the decoys, how someone decides to kill them after that is up to them.

If one is on the water close in to the blind, I'll usually try to flush it and then shoot it on the wing. If one is 40 yards out and it's a slow day, I'll water swat it to avoid taking a long shot at it's back side.

A 40 yd water swat is one of the most challenging shots in waterfowling and doing it without emptying the gun is a true feat.

skydog

A 40 yd water swat is one of the most challenging shots in waterfowling and doing it without emptying the gun is a true feat.

With a diver, absolutely. Slightly less so with a puddle duck because they have more of their body above water

EGrdneck

They call me "water swatter hen killer" for a reason.....I'll swat one in a minute....you don't shoot a deer while he's coming to the corn pile? No you let him start eating broadside and then shoot em....why is a duck any different

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Anyone who has ever said water swatting a duck is too easy has obviously never tried swat a sea scoter. It's like they're wearing kevlar.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Honestly does it really matter except for your own personal ego what you do? No one is going to know what you do besides your hunting buddies and maybe the whole world if you feel guilty about doing it and confess on the forum.