Painting Trees, Purple

witler

Eight Pointer
I thought I had seen on here about using Purple paint on trees as a sign of No Trespassing. If so, is there a specific color or mix to use?

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Best thing to do is go through the mistint bin at the hardware store and have them change it to purple

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
I think, by law, you have to use the ugliest purple paint that the hardware store has on that particular day. After that, you are required to slather it on at about that high.

GW seriously told me to just get the cheapest and/or ugliest purple. No specifics on shade of purple. He said that once that's on, he'll write anyone up on that property that doesn't have written permission.

Last edited:

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
I think, by law, you have to use the ugliest purple paint that the hardware store has on that particular day. After that, you are required to slather it on at about that high.

GW seriously told me to just get the cheapest and/or ugliest purple. No specifics on shade of purple. He said that once that's on, he'll write anyone up on that property that doesn't have written permission.

Read the law. it says the paint should be in a vertical strip at least 8 inches long starting 3-5 feet from the ground {2 inches is wide enough} a purple painted t-post fence post is good too. I use alot of saplings about 2 inches wide if they are there. Minimum of 200 feet apart for all purple paint strips.
You will see great big squares painted purple on trees 6 feet high but they don't meet the letter of the law.
Part of reason for purple paint was that it would not be as ugly as a line of posted signs along the roadway and not easily removed.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
I have used the spray cans of purple paint from Lowes for a while now. The coverage is good and you can cover ground quickly [3X-4X faster than a roller or brush] and it lasts 2-3 years before needing a touchup. One can will go a long long way.

Last edited:

GTO ONE

Eight Pointer
A gallon of cheap exterior latex and one of the cheap horsehair brushes was what I used to do the perimeter of our 18 acres. I had less than $20 in it, and it has held up well for three years. Try to paint trees with relatively smooth bark, sliver maples and poplars if you can, doesn't take as much paint to get good coverage compared to a sweet gum or willow oak...

bigbkhnter

I seen in a store the other day, it may have been a rustoleum product but it was called "hunter purple" in a spray can

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
I seen in a store the other day, it may have been a rustoleum product but it was called "hunter purple" in a spray can

Lowes and believe me 1 can will go around 20-30 acres.
What I do is go up a line and paint every 200 feet. Then I turn around and walk that line back to the corner, filling in any light/weak color. Do this with 2-3" wide strips-10" long vertically-starting at waist level and you will be done.
I posted 121 acres properly while scouting deer this fall and used only 5 cans.
My backpack held them, 5 bottles of water, snips and my phone. Easy as pie.
This could be done while turkey scouting this spring as well.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Yes, it is a family only hunted farm. To keep everything legal and remind trespassers is the reason for painting.

oldest school is talking about properties in counties where written permission is required even if the land is not posted. The state Landowner Protection Act requires the land to be properly posted. Orange Co. is one counties where the land doesn't have to be posted.

Last edited:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
The Landowner Protection Act with the use of purple paint, only those trespassing for the purpose of hunting, fishing, trapping or removing pine straw without written permission would be in violation of this law. Use posted signs in accordance with the law and general trespass would also be illegal under state law, in accordance with GS 14-159.13 Second Degree Trespass. http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/PDF/ByArticle/Chapter_14/Article_22B.pdf

In counties with written permission required to hunt, fish or trap the law works similar to that of the LPA, without the paint. Boundary lines, I would also paint with an additional color band around the tree. We ran into a problem with just the purple paint. A neighbor of a neighboring landowner was accusing us of trespassing. All the boundaries had purple paint. I crossed the boundary I painted and leased and the neighbors neighbor thought I was trespassing while hunting.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
I see purple everywhere and still occasionally have people ask me what it means, even a few hunters. Wonder how many out there still do not know what the purple means, or if they even care.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
I see purple everywhere and still occasionally have people ask me what it means, even a few hunters. Wonder how many out there still do not know what the purple means, or if they even care.

A Wildlife Enforcement Officer told me once, "Ignorance is no excuse for the violation of the law.". Just in conversation. Since I'm in a county where land doesn't have to be posted, I liked what he said.
Edit: But there are still the idiots that just have to push it.

Last edited:

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I have still never understood why it is incumbent on the property owner to post private property. Anyone, within reason, should know if the land is public or private, and if private, that they either have permission to be there or not. As with a lot of regulations, this one is completely backwards.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Yes, it is a family only hunted farm. To keep everything legal and remind trespassers is the reason for painting.

THAT's why you paint BOTH sides of a tree, so folks coming AND going know where the lines are....and paint closer than spec to make trespassers look even more pathetic when prosecuted.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I have still never understood why it is incumbent on the property owner to post private property. Anyone, within reason, should know if the land is public or private, and if private, that they either have permission to be there or not. As with a lot of regulations, this one is completely backwards.

Out west in some states if it's not posted you can access the land without permission. The US model typically favors public access thus putting the burden on the landowner of restricting access.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Out west in some states if it's not posted you can access the land without permission. The US model typically favors public access thus putting the burden on the landowner of restricting access.

Good info there but......................getting caught trespassing out west is a big deal, a really big deal if the landowner pushes it.
In NC it is at most a small fine. So everybody does it with no worries.
Could be like Florida, trespassing with a firearm there is a felony down there and they don't have a trespassing problem.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Good info there but......................getting caught trespassing out west is a big deal, a really big deal if the landowner pushes it.
In NC it is at most a small fine. So everybody does it with no worries.
Could be like Florida, trespassing with a firearm there is a felony down there and they don't have a trespassing problem.

Right, the catch out west is that the law heavily favors the landowner. If it's not posted you can access it however the burden falls on you to make sure it's not posted. There is a section of the law that says even if the landowner does not post it properly it is still considered posted. Another difference is that the signs are required to have contact info on them making it much easier to ask for permission.
I agree that we could use stiffer penalties to help deter some of the trespassing. Access in the east is just fundamentally different. Smaller acreages results in less sharing of resources.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
A Wildlife Enforcement Officer told me once, "Ignorance is no excuse for the violation of the law.". Just in conversation. Since I'm in a county where land doesn't have to be posted, I liked what he said.

Now if a judge had said that to me then it would mean something,a Wildlife Officer well he just writes the ticket a judge decides if its a violation of the law.If you own land or lease land you need to post it.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Now if a judge had said that to me then it would mean something,a Wildlife Officer well he just writes the ticket a judge decides if its a violation of the law.If you own land or lease land you need to post it.
It sounds to me like you have no respect for Leo or Gw....... was that your intent? If it was then you are part of the problem!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
It sounds to me like you have no respect for Leo or Gw....... was that your intent? If it was then you are part of the problem!

no, he was stating fact,,,,,,,,,LEO and GWs can only bring the charges,,,,,,,,it is JUDGES (well and then juries if it goes there) who decide if there was an actual violation and then levies the penalty,,,,,,,

just reality of our system,,,,,,,,

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Doesn't matter who said it.....it is a factual statement

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Right, the catch out west is that the law heavily favors the landowner. If it's not posted you can access it however the burden falls on you to make sure it's not posted. There is a section of the law that says even if the landowner does not post it properly it is still considered posted. Another difference is that the signs are required to have contact info on them making it much easier to ask for permission.
I agree that we could use stiffer penalties to help deter some of the trespassing. Access in the east is just fundamentally different. Smaller acreages results in less sharing of resources.

That's way you need to post with signs for trespass for any purpose. I imagine a good lawyer can win in a case where paint is used and not properly executed, according to the Landowner Protection Act. This being the law states how the paint is to be displayed.

I person can be charged with second degree trespass if there is reasonable notice, ie a posted sign. No mention of having property posted at certain intervals.

§ 14-159.13. Second degree trespass.
(a) Offense. – A person commits the offense of second degree trespass if, without authorization, he enters or remains on premises of another:
(1) After he has been notified not to enter or remain there by the owner, by a person in charge of the premises, by a lawful occupant, or by another authorized person; or
(2) § 14-159.13. Second degree trespass.
(a) Offense. – A person commits the offense of second degree trespass if, without authorization, he enters or remains on premises of another:
(1) After he has been notified not to enter or remain there by the owner, by a person in charge of the premises, by a lawful occupant, or by another authorized person; or
(2) That are posted, in a manner reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders, with notice not to enter the premises.
(b) Classification. – Second degree trespass is a Class 3 misdemeanor. (1987, c. 700, s. 1; 1993, c. 539, s. 102; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)(b) Classification. – Second degree trespass is a Class 3 misdemeanor. (1987, c. 700, s. 1; 1993, c. 539, s. 102; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

Last edited:

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
My neighbor painted his property lines with big horizontal purple rings around his trees. It's well marked but does not meet the legal requirements so it is not legally posted. I told him to put up signs. He's upset but hey, you can't fix stupid. If you don't know the difference between what is horizontal and what is vertical you shouldn't even be allowed to go outside. ;)

Personally, I don't think a landowner should have to post anything. It ain't yours so stay the hell off it!

Last edited: