Painting Trees, Purple

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
Was going up 55 headed out of New Bern and seen a property marked with purple posted signs every couple hundred feet. Pretty ridiculous to me. If your gonna put a posted sign every 200 feet, might as well use a regular one people can read.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
It sounds to me like you have no respect for Leo or Gw....... was that your intent? If it was then you are part of the problem!

My intent was to show that a GW can write a 100 tickets for game violations but when it gets into a court room he has very little to do with someone being convicted of it.I have spent many hours in courtrooms watching how judges and D.A.s deal with certain violations of the hunting regs.You would think that in a county that has a hunting by written permission only reg. that when a GW writes a ticket there a conviction would be a assured it is not I have seen over the years If your land is posted any LEO stands a better chance of getting a conviction than if the land is not posted. As far as respect for LEOs I have the highest respect for them however I did have a certain loss of respect for GWs after some of their actions were exposed on certain undercover operations they ran.

Last edited:

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
would you paint in a county requiring written permission to hunt?

Yes, paint or post. I would.

Its against the law for someone to steal my car, but I am not going to leave it unlocked, not leaving the keys in the ignition.

Trespassing is the same thing. It might happen, but I certainly don't want the "I didn't know" argument.

witler

Eight Pointer
That's way you need to post with signs for trespass for any purpose. I imagine a good lawyer can win in a case where paint is used and not properly executed, according to the Landowner Protection Act. This being the law states how the paint is to be displayed.

I person can be charged with second degree trespass if there is reasonable notice, ie a posted sign. No mention of having property posted at certain intervals.

§ 14-159.13. Second degree trespass.
(a) Offense. – A person commits the offense of second degree trespass if, without authorization, he enters or remains on premises of another:
(1) After he has been notified not to enter or remain there by the owner, by a person in charge of the premises, by a lawful occupant, or by another authorized person; or
(2) § 14-159.13. Second degree trespass.
(a) Offense. – A person commits the offense of second degree trespass if, without authorization, he enters or remains on premises of another:
(1) After he has been notified not to enter or remain there by the owner, by a person in charge of the premises, by a lawful occupant, or by another authorized person; or
(2) That are posted, in a manner reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders, with notice not to enter the premises.
(b) Classification. – Second degree trespass is a Class 3 misdemeanor. (1987, c. 700, s. 1; 1993, c. 539, s. 102; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)(b) Classification. – Second degree trespass is a Class 3 misdemeanor. (1987, c. 700, s. 1; 1993, c. 539, s. 102; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

Either or on paint or signs but property needs to be posted at corners and entrance.

on lands posted with signs no more than 200 yards apart or purple
paint 100 yards apart.The property should also be posted at
entrances and corners

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Either or on paint or signs but property needs to be posted at corners and entrance.

on lands posted with signs no more than 200 yards apart or purple
paint 100 yards apart.The property should also be posted at
entrances and corners

You are referring to the Landowner Protection Act it does not make trespassing a violation on the law, only when combined with hunting, fishing, trapping or pine straw removal is it a violation.

The 14-159.13. Second degree trespass, cover any trespass and is a different law and there are no requirements for posting as long as it posted so people are reasonably aware the owner wants no one to enter on the property.

Therefore, if person post their property with trespass signs in accordance with the Landowner Protection Act, instead of using purple paint, all bases should be covered.

Last edited:

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
however I did have a certain loss of respect for GWs after some of their actions were exposed on certain undercover operations they ran.

I may be late to the party.....what actions/GWs are you referring to? Asking, not questioning, I have never heard of GWs being busted undercover but I dont get out much.