Annual Arkansas Hunt

The Hargrave Boys got into them thick! First fog hunt in Arkansas was something Ill never forget! Limited out every day on fatback mallards, shot speckle bellies, even shot my first pair of snows (drake and hen)! Hearing mallards work you before you can see them was incredibly exciting. Just doesn't get any better than Arkansas.

A8.jpgA5.jpgA4.jpgA2.jpgA6.jpg

Last edited:

fowlplay'n

Twelve Pointer
Looks like an awesome trip!

Thanks for sharing with those of us that haven't been able to go out and experience that first hand. It's on the list though!

skydog

Nice going. We were out there hunting this past weekend as well but the fog messed us and the birds up good. We killed a decent number of birds every day but nothing like this. Were you hunting timber or fields?

CBD21

Eight Pointer
Nice going. We were out there hunting this past weekend as well but the fog messed us and the birds up good. We killed a decent number of birds every day but nothing like this. Were you hunting timber or fields?

Some of the worst fog I've ever hunted and no wind.

skydog

Some of the worst fog I've ever hunted and no wind.

Yep. Couldn't see 20 yards in front of us. And the no wind was the killer...when we would catch a breath of wind we would usually have a duck or two work but when the wind doesn't blow out there the ducks just sit in the same field all day and don't fly.

CBD21

Eight Pointer
Yep. Couldn't see 20 yards in front of us. And the no wind was the killer...when we would catch a breath of wind we would usually have a duck or two work but when the wind doesn't blow out there the ducks just sit in the same field all day and don't fly.

That's how it was for us but we were in the timber. Had to listen for the birds since you couldn't see them. We ended up with a group of surprise red heads that was the highlight of the trip.

I hear that. What part of Arkansas were you hunting? Cash? Fog will 100% ruin a flooded timber hunt. We switched to pit blind in a flooded rice field and every bird wanted in.

skydog

I hear that. What part of Arkansas were you hunting? Cash? Fog will 100% ruin a flooded timber hunt. We switched to pit blind in a flooded rice field and every bird wanted in.

We were hunting rice fields about 15 miles below Stuttgart. Plenty of birds around but they didn't want to fly for us in that pea soup and no wind. Came close to limits of ducks and specks one day but the other two days were slow.

Last edited by a moderator:
We were hunting rice fields about 15 miles below Stuttgart. Plenty of birds around but they didn't want to fly for us in that pea soup and no wind. Came close to limits of ducks and specks one day but the other two days were slow.

Shoot! Well Im glad you bagged some specks....sky ribeye! Flying Fillet Mignon!

labman63

Ten Pointer
I was there for the last 12 days. Seems like after the foggy day the ducks turned on. It was real slow before the fog. We shot them up good up to the last day. Ducks and specks