What Does A Man Need?

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
What does a man need - really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in - and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That's all - in the material sense, and we know it. But we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade. - Sterling Hayden

Last edited:

dundee29

That's a very hard question to answer with many different scenarios ! It all depends on what each persons opinion is ! , no 2 people will have the same needs.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I think we all have the same NEEDS. It's the wants that vary.

you just made any additional posts unnecessary, maslow did this work decades ago. his hierarchy of needs spells it out.

that being said it is incredible in today's time the absolute extravagance that is revered by those that can never obtain it. the worship of rich lifestyles is sickening.

this will be a great thread FishHunt,

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
A Country Boy can survive, but better with a big truck and boat and house and and and and....... cause I need and gotta have em.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
If there was just a way for everyone to experience dead broke for a while.....

Been there many times in my younger life with that, it ain't fun for sure..

A man usually wants much more than he needs to survive...When I was a boy being raised by my Grandparents I would often mention something that I wanted to my Grandmother.. She would look at me and say, boy it has never hurt anyone to want for something...Maybe when you grow up you will be able to satisfy all your wants..

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I've been dirt poor with holes in my shoes on the rough streets of a NJ ghetto. At one point I had $4 to my name. I now live very comfortably in a large home we just had built. I hate it. I'm grateful my wife and children can enjoy this home and need not worry much. As for me, I feel the NEED to hunt, to kill and eat game. I feel the NEED to be in nature, in the mountains, in a field or in a stream with a rod in hand. I get depressed when I go too long without time spent in the woods. I feel like less of a man. I'm very simple in many ways. Many of today's men have lost their way. They go against nature and a man's i
NEED to hunt and gather. They hunt and gather money, possessions, downloads, and other worldly goods. I honestly feel I was born in the wrong day and age. Most of us live an impure life filled with greed and exhibit a false persona while we suffer silently. Thoreau said it best "most men lead lives of quiet desperation".
What can we do? Finding a healthy balance between today's world and a more peaceful and natural existence isn't easy for me. Sometimes I have to just say ":donk:donk:donk:donk it" and head off into the woods for my own peace of mind.

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I started dead broke, but have been blessed with good income through hard work. I like my "preposterous gadgetry", but understand that it's all about owning your stuff, instead of your stuff owning you...

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Throw in a good woman to make love to... ;)

It isn't what a man needs...it what his wife ends up demanding ;)

I was perfectly happy in a very old apartment with no dishwasher.

After a little while, the lady demanded an upgrade.

I will say, that I am happier in the newer, bigger, place, but that doesn't have to do with the dwelling.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
What does a man need - really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in - and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That's all - in the material sense, and we know it. But we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade. - Sterling Hayden

I'd add a little for my own. A man needs:
1. The knowledge and means to protect family and loved ones.
2. The knowledge and means to provide food/shelter for one's self, family and loved ones.
3. Never quit learning and reading. A person who can, but doesn't learn and read has no advantage over anyone who can't.

<>< Fish

Last edited: