wanting to start reloading

waymoe1

Ten Pointer
Ok so im wanting to get into reloading my own shotgun shells. I have no idea what I need to get other than go to midway usa or something. I want my main focus on loading 3.5 turkey loads and buck shot loads. Would love to load a 3.5 inch #1 buck load. Is that possible? Don't need the best rig just something that is good and gets the job done. thanks

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
Can't go wrong with a MEC. I would question one how much shooting you'll be doing with loads like that to justify your cost, but that is your money. Keep in mind the shells you are reloading and not all shells built alike.
Go by the charts with whatever powder you decide. It will give you all the details you need to get started.
You'll need to decide on the powder, to find out the charge bushing for power volume and then get the correct charge bar for your shot volume.
Then you need shells, primers, shot.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
^ I agree. Can't go wrong with MEC ... and I can't imagine shooting many of the loads you want to load.

I used an MEC to load 2 3/4" #7 trap loads, and it was well worth it. Make sure you get a good loading manual and follow it. Have fun.

Last edited:

waymoe1

Ten Pointer
thanks for the help guys. I agree I will not be shooting those loads as much as others but think they are fun to play with on trying to get a killer pattern. and I miss 3.5 #1 buck for deer drives