Bass boat wipeout

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Poor boat handling from what it looks like. It is very difficult to cross a wake at a shallow angle, especially a following one in a bass boat on plane like that. At the very least you need to let off the throttle a little. The boat is running on the pad and falling off a following wake like that drops if off the pad and catches the chines.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I would help to read the whole article. I guess that could do it too and the timing was just coincidence. It still does not appear to be a failure causing all lose of control.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
The Jesus Nut....
That is what happened.

It is the big lock nut on the hydraulic steer....
It comes off only Jesus can help you at speed...

mbh78

Ten Pointer
Contributor
The Jesus Nut....
That is what happened.

It is the big lock nut on the hydraulic steer....
It comes off only Jesus can help you at speed...

Bingo. It doesn't matter how skilled you are at driving a boat or what kind of wake you hit, you are going for a swim.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
The amazing part to me is the number of boats that past right on by without stopping...typical bass fisherman from my experience.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Glad the guys are okay, getting thrown out of a boat can happen and it happens with the blink of an eye been there done that..

As far as people on the water helping others in trouble out there don't count on it. I have experienced that also, not in a life threatening situation but we needed help that we did not get on Santee-Cooper down in SC many years ago one day when my 35 Johnson blew a head gasket. Several boats came by but all were either too busy to tow us a couple miles or they had someplace else they just had to go and no time for us.. Luckily my cousin and I were able to paddle the boat to a boat landing where I called my Wife and told her of our situation. It was a 160 mile drive round trip for her and my cousin's Dad as my truck and boat trailer were on the opposite side of Lake Marion on the Santee River. We could not paddle my boat upstream because of the current and we were lucky that Low Falls Landing was only about a half mile away..

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Easy sir, painting with a broad brush there. ;)

Painting with my experience. You are correct all are not like that but its clear in the video how many boats blasted right on by without stopping?...if I was the teacher in the class...I would fail every one of them that didn't stop. There will always be another tourney but to loose life in such a event is sad. It can and has happened.

BTW..next time you can blame it on the ol sorry catfisherman that drives past a broke down bass boat. ;)

mbh78

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Painting with my experience. You are correct all are not like that but its clear in the video how many boats blasted right on by without stopping?...if I was the teacher in the class...I would fail every one of them that didn't stop. There will always be another tourney but to loose life in such a event is sad. It can and has happened.

BTW..next time you can blame it on the ol sorry catfisherman that drives past a broke down bass boat. ;)

Lol. I'm a sorry ol' catfisherman too, as well as anything else that swims. I would never leave anyone stranded on the lake, especially in a potentially life-threatening situation like this. I fish a lot of tournaments, mostly local stuff, but they still cost money. 2 different times last year I stopped fishing to tow a stranded boat. I have been in need of assistance before and had numerous boats pass without any offers to help, and I remember how that made me feel. I will never give anyone the opportunity to feel that way towards me, no matter how much money is on the line.

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
My guess is someone had already stopped and started helping, as soon as he gets in back in the boat you can see a boat beside them. At least in the video I watched you could. If a couple of boats had already stopped then it would not make sense to crowd the scene. Bass Fishermen are some of the first to stop and help another. I have seen guys carry 2 extra people and their catch to weigh in, then bring them back to their boat after. Now don't get me wrong, there are some who think they are the next KVD and look down their nose at everyone, but they are in even part of every sport!

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
My guess is someone had already stopped and started helping, as soon as he gets in back in the boat you can see a boat beside them. At least in the video I watched you could. If a couple of boats had already stopped then it would not make sense to crowd the scene. Bass Fishermen are some of the first to stop and help another. I have seen guys carry 2 extra people and their catch to weigh in, then bring them back to their boat after. Now don't get me wrong, there are some who think they are the next KVD and look down their nose at everyone, but they are in even part of every sport!

Now you telling us that a bass fisherman running 60 plus MPH was smart enough to access the situation at that speed and know he was better off not to "crowd the scene". That's a good one...a real good one.

Maybe the these bass fisherman done the same thing in the dark for me and my dad one night...http://www.nchuntandfish.com/forums/showthread.php?105260-A-little-boat-ride

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Lol. I'm a sorry ol' catfisherman too, as well as anything else that swims. I would never leave anyone stranded on the lake, especially in a potentially life-threatening situation like this. I fish a lot of tournaments, mostly local stuff, but they still cost money. 2 different times last year I stopped fishing to tow a stranded boat. I have been in need of assistance before and had numerous boats pass without any offers to help, and I remember how that made me feel. I will never give anyone the opportunity to feel that way towards me, no matter how much money is on the line.
Last boat I assisted cost me 4 broken ribs. I was fishing late fall and an older couple came by me in a large runabout and went about 3/4 mile and stopped. They weren't there 10 mins and tried to move and it didn't start. I hear them grind on it to the batter went dead. I had made up my mind that when I moved I was going to go by and help them. I didn't set there 20 more minutes and watched 3 boats go by ( am not going to say what type) that had to see the fellow waving a paddle at them and I couldn't stand it anymore so I picked up all my stuff and went down there.

I have no idea what his initial problem but he had cooked his starter, I couldn't even jump it off so I was going to tow him to the ramp he put in at which was about 5 miles. I told him I would have to rig a bridal up since his boat was so big. I was rigging that and told him to tie a rope off on the front of his boat. He did and threw me the rope, I tied it in the middle of the bridal and we started in soon as the rope pulled tight his knot came loose. I eased back and had him tie it back and same thing, soon as it pulled tight came loose. I realized he couldn't tie a knot so I pulled up beside him and was going to step over in his boat. You guessed it, when I stepped over I slipped and hit my side on the gunnel of his boat and I heard the ribs crunch before I hit the water. It was rough coming up with broken ribs trying to breath. It was all I could do to get in that big :donk:donk:donk boat and get a knot tied then get back in mine. I got him towed in, and couldn't even turn my head sideways to then. He tried his best to pay me but I just declined and made my way to the boat ramp and went home. Then had to have my wife take my feeble old :donk:donk:donk to the dr. SMH

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
NCCatfisher - does that fall into the "no good deed goes unpunished" category ?

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
bass fishermen are a callous bunch.
In a redman regional on fort loudin, i asked another NC angler how he was doing.

he replied that he was upset at losing most of his fishing day. He had to report a dead body they discovered, one that had floated up blocks and chains.
I doubt he would have helped a stranded boater. :)