Snow goose

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
Anyone used an late season snow goose guides in NC? Was looking at one place called Capt. Froggys...

That Swan hunt has me hooked on shooting bigger birds now, lol. Saw where the snow goose season extends into march, and was hopping to possibly find a hunt somewhere...

Sent from.......wait....where am I?!

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
may have better luck out of state if you really want some shooting. Guide prices will be similar and licences are cheap. For example in Arkansas you just need a valid hunting license for any state and a free authorization code from the state.

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
Thought about that. But for a first hunt, though about NC to save on travel and all. The place I looked at had some good videos on YouTube and tons of hunt pics and for 3 of us was only $350

skydog

I think you already know this but hunting them in NC is going to be very spotty. I don't think there is anyone in the state that can consistently put you on good hunts for them but at that price you could always roll the dice and hope you catch them on a good day. If you have the ability to watch the weather and not book a month or two in advance, you ideally want a day that is windy, sunny, and cold.

Even the guys in Arkansas and North up the flyway have a hard time killing them consistently. It takes a huge operation (thousands of decoys) and access to many farms to be able to kill them on a daily basis.

Last edited by a moderator:

Greenhorn

Six Pointer
Froggy hunts public. Anyone can pretty much do what he does. I tried him duck hunting last season and it was a total bust, but the season was pretty much a total bust. I'm going to try him for a snow goose hunt this season. The reason I went with him duck hunting was b/c I had scheduled a snow goose hunt the year before and when I called he told me it wasn't worth the trip (no birds) so I decided to duck hunt with him the following season instead of getting my $$$ back. I'll let y'all know about the geese at the end of February. If he says no birds again I will be getting my money back this time.

Last edited:

ducknut

Eight Pointer
Be careful booking goose hunts with foggy. He hunts around here. I'll second the troy boyd. One of the farms he has rights to is where the snow geese are if they are down.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Have not heard or seen good results from Froggy's hunts. I've seen him pull up to the big trout at lunch time in Englehard and run his boat all over the dock trying to get tied off and have 4-5 hunters in the boat with 4-5 total when we limited out the same morning by 8:00 AM. I talked to a group down at the coast last year that totally struck out with Froggy as well.

Greenhorn

Six Pointer
Yes, I understand that. He's hunting public. That's how it goes. I'm not defending him but I've been at PP and limited out and guys 1 over shot zero. That's hunting. I was specifically talking about the guys goose hunts and his "be careful booking goose hunts with Froggy" statement.

Last edited:

FowlHunter09

Four Pointer
Have not heard or seen good results from Froggy's hunts. I've seen him pull up to the big trout at lunch time in Englehard and run his boat all over the dock trying to get tied off and have 4-5 hunters in the boat with 4-5 total when we limited out the same morning by 8:00 AM. I talked to a group down at the coast last year that totally struck out with Froggy as well.

We were running out the other day and he about run into us on the way out. I hear guys around here don't like him because a a few run ins with him. Few guys who who hunted with him that stayed at the motel said he had a blind burnt a few weeks ago. I don't know how true that is.

Sapperman

Spike
Hunted with Froggy this past week and we did ok should done better but that was mostly poor shooting.

Two of his blinds most assuredly had fire damage.

Not sure if it was worth it in the end, but overall we had a good time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sapperman

Spike
I haven't had time to call Troy Boyd about Snow Goose yet but he doesn't answer email or Facebook PM and at least Froggy does both...

blbranch

Six Pointer
Well dang I got a swan hunt with froggy booked on 30th. I was told by whoever I talked to they have never had anybody not shoot one. Is it not worth making the drive??

FowlHunter09

Four Pointer
Hunted with Froggy this past week and we did ok should done better but that was mostly poor shooting.

Two of his blinds most assuredly had fire damage.

Not sure if it was worth it in the end, but overall we had a good time.

That's what I figured. He's not from around he so he will have to always deal with that. Looks like he crossed the wrong one. I'm glad you guys did okay. Been a tough year. I had better hunts before Christmas then I have had this split

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Well dang I got a swan hunt with froggy booked on 30th. I was told by whoever I talked to they have never had anybody not shoot one. Is it not worth making the drive??

I believe the boy that posted the picture of him holding a untagged swan on here a few years ago and got in all kinds of trouble for deer hunting at night and other mess................he was "guiding" for froggy when he shot the swan. So they must have a place that at least holds swans.

Some of the threads he started where nearly as good as the ones by Lucky Clucker about their encounters with law enforcement.

Last edited:

blbranch

Six Pointer
I believe the boy that posted the picture of him holding a untagged swan on here a few years ago and got in all kinds of trouble for deer hunting at night and other mess................he was "guiding" for froggy when he shot the swan. So they must have a place that at least holds swans.

Some of the threads he started where nearly as good as the ones by Lucky Clucker about their encounters with law enforcement.

Well dang. Wasn't planning on booking a guided hunt to use my swan tag. Wasn't able to get one at j Morgan this year. Was there last year on the same day and was covered up with them, but of course had no tag. Not sure if it was him I spoke with on the phone but he seemed like a nice guy. Wish I would have got reccomendations on here before I booked. Anybody else have any experience swan hunting with him?

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Well dang. Wasn't planning on booking a guided hunt to use my swan tag. Wasn't able to get one at j Morgan this year. Was there last year on the same day and was covered up with them, but of course had no tag. Not sure if it was him I spoke with on the phone but he seemed like a nice guy. Wish I would have got reccomendations on here before I booked. Anybody else have any experience swan hunting with him?
In fairness, I don't know that that boy works for him anymore. That was a few years ago.

Greenhorn

Six Pointer
That's what I figured. He's not from around he so he will have to always deal with that. Looks like he crossed the wrong one. I'm glad you guys did okay. Been a tough year. I had better hunts before Christmas then I have had this split

My area has been dead after the freeze early last week. Been pass shooting between a roost and wherever they are going to loaf. Found 1 loafing area I'm saving but its slim pick'ns for sure where I'm at right now and the long range aint looking good for another push.

blbranch

Six Pointer
Same guy but was doghunter101 when he showed the internet how you do everything the wrong way.

So what y'all think? To go or not to go? Already been debating cancelling but am afraid I may not get a permit next year and I'll be kicking myself for not going.

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
All of us at Conman's tagged a swan. Birds were thick!

Huntin & Phishin

That's what I was told said he had a group of 11 not long ago all of them got one.

I hunted with froggy for swan and all 12 got one sweet set up. I have ran into him at outfall canal and let's just say I wouldn't get on a boat with him. Not bad guy just interesting but aren't we all. Check out the video.
[video]http://vid677.photobucket.com/albums/vv133/phishinout/BumpSwanKill.mp4[/video]