Snow goose

blbranch

Six Pointer
I hunted with froggy for swan and all 12 got one sweet set up. I have ran into him at outfall canal and let's just say I wouldn't get on a boat with him. Not bad guy just interesting but aren't we all. Check out the video.
[video]http://vid677.photobucket.com/albums/vv133/phishinout/BumpSwanKill.mp4[/video]

Nice!!! No decoys?

Huntin & Phishin

No decoys birds picked up from pond a flew over our heads. Mine landed arms length away. Have fun and go get it done

Huntin & Phishin

Awesome!! Never got one before. My first year getting a tag. I hear they are tough birds to take down. You use 3 1/2 BB?
They are tough I have seen pellets bounce of their body. Def shoot BB. If u have 3.5 option I would at the time I did. But I only shoot 3" shells now. Less kick and better on the shotgun I think. Hit em in the face��

blbranch

Six Pointer
Yea I have a 3 1/2. Ill be aiming for the head just hope I hit it 😂😂. They are probably moving a lot faster than they look like with that 7ft wing span.

Huntin & Phishin

You will hit one just be patient. Let us know how it goes. I'll be headed to swamp and then field for geese this weekend had two public hunts recently swans were to high to kill. GDL

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
I Should have went!! Couldn't make it work. Maybe I'll get lucky and get a tag next year!! Congrats on the birds!!
If you ever get a chance, you should check Conman's out. Mike and Andy will treat you right! My cousins almost fell on him, lol
dbacb77ed90d076a6daa1305005d43cd.jpg

Sent from.......wait....where am I?!

blbranch

Six Pointer
You will hit one just be patient. Let us know how it goes. I'll be headed to swamp and then field for geese this weekend had two public hunts recently swans were to high to kill. GDL

I will post the pics!! had several buddies draw a permit this year but weren't able to get one. I'm hoping one of them will want to go with me. We Were at j Morgan Futch Thanksgiving day saw maybe 30 and they were all way too high. Of course last season on the same day they were close enough to spit on but nobody had a permit. Thanks for the video looked like fun!!

blbranch

Six Pointer
If you ever get a chance, you should check Conman's out. Mike and Andy will treat you right! My cousins almost fell on him, lol
dbacb77ed90d076a6daa1305005d43cd.jpg

I definitely will...I bet that wouldn't have felt good. I use 3 inch #2 for everything never thought to use it for a swan. Maybe I'll load a #2 and 2, 3 1/2 BB's to follow up just in case 👍👍

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Zombie, Conman once told me years ago that any guide in NC that promises to put people on snows consistently is lying!

Nc is spotty

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
Zombie, Conman once told me years ago that any guide in NC that promises to put people on snows consistently is lying!

Nc is spotty
Yep, I asked him about it and Canada. Said due to that, and that part of the state only having one Canada per day by permit it wasn't something that he ever set up for.

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
Yep, I asked him about it and Canada. Said due to that, and that part of the state only having one Canada per day by permit it wasn't something that he ever set up for.

I dont understand the Canada Geese law down there. If you want to hunt Snows I suggest going to AR or MO for the conservation season. But get a big group to go, I have hunted them out there in a regular season and seeing the amount of birds coming down on you is unreal! But Specks are where the good eating is!

pendletonhunter

Button Buck
I went on a duck hunt with froggy mid Dec. I was able to fill my swan tag with a single that was decoying in shot it with one shot 3 inch #5. Didn't have enough time to put in a 3 1/2 BB. Also scheduled to go on a late season snow goose hunt first weekend it opens in Feb I'll post and let you all know how it went.

60a653a6d9f4430b3e79f120af9ae56f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I forgot that I put together of our snow hunt with Troy Boyd. It's 20 mins of boring video and a lot of it is go pro. Skip to 14:40 for better shots.
[video=youtube;Zc0zjw3UDW0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc0zjw3UDW0[/video]

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
I still swear by #2 hevishot on swans!!lights out

Put on top of nose, pull trigger, and watch them miss their own butt

Trappertod

Six Pointer
Well I have booked a snow goose with froggy in march, I will definitely report back. He seemed to be honest with me, as I already knew from a trip a few years ago with aaron Matthews from 4th generation, snow goose hunting in NC is hit and miss. Froggy told me that straight out, he also said he would call me and tell me if the birds were not around and he would set a date for next year. This is my son's first trip snow goose hunting, I chose to stay close by. If he likes it and if I could get some additional folks interested I might make a road trip next year.

ceanderson

Six Pointer
Well I have booked a snow goose with froggy in march, I will definitely report back. He seemed to be honest with me, as I already knew from a trip a few years ago with aaron Matthews from 4th generation, snow goose hunting in NC is hit and miss. Froggy told me that straight out, he also said he would call me and tell me if the birds were not around and he would set a date for next year. This is my son's first trip snow goose hunting, I chose to stay close by. If he likes it and if I could get some additional folks interested I might make a road trip next year.
I've hunted with Aaron and have had some good hunts. I was booked with Froggy last year and the birds headed north early with the warm weather. I'll be surprised if you have birds here in March, but I hope you do. It is absolutely a blast when the birds are there and working the spread. I have a contact in SE Missouri and am headed there in a couple weeks. Would love to have a group do a hunt there next year.

Last edited:

Shine

Six Pointer
Contributor
I'll try to get the info from my friend. His buddy is a guide and we are currently trying to set up a hunt as well. He goes all the time for ducks and gets put on birds like its nothing.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
I hope the person that booked a swan hunt with Froggy does ok. really any guide with a field swans use in Hyde county should be able to get you a swan. I have never hunted with him but know many dissatisfied former duck customers. How he got his Capt. license is a mystery. probably the least capable outfitter operating in Hyde county. there are many capable outfitters in Hyde, Froggy is not one of them.

Trappertod

Six Pointer
Me and my son are seriously talking booking in Arkansas for next year conservation snow goose. Not that much more money and the hunt is a full day. We are going to try froggy in march if the birds are here. If not I will get my deposit back and move to another.

skydog

Me and my son are seriously talking booking in Arkansas for next year conservation snow goose. Not that much more money and the hunt is a full day. We are going to try froggy in march if the birds are here. If not I will get my deposit back and move to another.

You will be amazed at the # of snows in Arkansas but they still aren't easy to hunt there and plenty of people strike out on them. I know this probably goes without saying, but be sure to do plenty of homework and reference checking on any outfitter out there before making the long drive.

Also, just in general- if you're hunting them south of the Mason-Dixon, don't book something in March. Obviously there's no way of predicting the weather but even in colder than normal winters, they are on their way out of here by then.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd book a snow goose hunt in December or January for Arkansas. Feel free to PM I know an absolutely outstanding goose Guide that's working over there right now. He's been hunting the white devil since the 60's (maybe 50's he's an old man lol). Great guy and knows snow geese.