Biking hot topic at D-9 wildlife hearing

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
At the D-9 wildlife hearing tonight a number of folks spoke about banning or restricting cyclists on game lands during hunting seasons.

The wildlife folks said they were looking at the issue.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Gamelands rules (BFNGL) currently only allow bikes on designated trails and when hunting. There is a website that tells riders when a trail is closed due to weather (erosion control). I use mine a lot when hunting and would be very disappointed if they outlawed it.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah, that would cause problems for folks that use bikes TO hunt. I've done it a few times myself. I can understand restricting "recreational cyclist" during hunting season, but if you are toting a hunting weapon, you should be exempt.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I think that if a bicyclist ruins your hunt, you need to get a little further off the trail. Restricting access won't do much for hunters IMO.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I think that if a bicyclist ruins your hunt, you need to get a little further off the trail. Restricting access won't do much for hunters IMO.

Some folks complained bikers (mountain bikers?) were going "off trail" and riding through the woods

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Some folks complained bikers (mountain bikers?) were going "off trail" and riding through the woods

They do this crap all time in Pisgah bunch arseholes will ride right through your decoys when your sitting there with disabled hunter in middle of field. Once I had to take the gun from an older gentleman I was hunting with he was about to send a shot through their spokes. I would be 100% for stopping non hunters from riding bikes during hunting season on all public land

Last edited:

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
This is where semantics come into play. Established trails is a term open to interpretation....I have no problem with cyclists staying on game land roads. It's when they cut their own paths through the woods that I have an issue. Many places I have hunted on Jordan and Uwharrie have self made mountain bike trails, well off the GL roads. Goes back to the thread about a recreational license for non-hunters using the game lands

I would also like to see a BO requirement for them, just for safety....

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Fun fact, deer don't care about the bicyclists. Killed a 6 point on Falls with the muzzleloader a few years ago about 30 minutes after a guy on a mountain bike rode by on the Falls Trail (didn't know it ran by right where I was). That buck crossed the trail and didn't have a care in the world - until I shot him. We've killed I don't know how many deer there since then, it just doesn't bother them at that spot or others I've noticed.

Last edited:

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Triangle area cyclist seem to value the trails on BFNGL because they get really upset when a trail gets closed. Closings come from weather and punitive measures from trash and rogue riding. The cycling community frowns on rogue trails because of closures. They work with BNFGL to keep the trails in order. It's not unlike the 4x4 community and the URE offroad area.

I am pretty sure that stopping cycling on GL will be faced with an opposition bigger than we could defend. If cyclist are riding off of established trails, and there is a rule/law/ordinance against it, and there is no enforcement then that needs to stop.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Triangle area cyclist seem to value the trails on BFNGL because they get really upset when a trail gets closed. Closings come from weather and punitive measures from trash and rogue riding. The cycling community frowns on rogue trails because of closures. They work with BNFGL to keep the trails in order. It's not unlike the 4x4 community and the URE offroad area.

I am pretty sure that stopping cycling on GL will be faced with an opposition bigger than we could defend. If cyclist are riding off of established trails, and there is a rule/law/ordinance against it, and there is no enforcement then that needs to stop.

One section I hunt of BNFGL has numerous bike trails. The biking community is brutally upfront about not abusing the Sunday only during hunting season rules. But sure enough, a small % of idiots ride there whenever they feel like it.

Imho, it matters not whether the deer are greatly affected. My question is, which user of those lands is paying for the privilege to use them? The hunters? Or the Bikers? If it's 100% the hunters, then if 1% of the hunters are anti bikers, then it should be an easy solution.

Personally (selfishly) I like the trails on that section as I have ridden the easy ones, AND, they make for nice quiet walking for spot and stalk with a shotgun.

But....another example of a few bad apples.