signs of spring

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
My peach tree is blooming, real pretty.

I'm guessing we won't see a one this year...

I was down in Middendorf, SC yesterday and alot of the peach trees were in full bloom. There are some very large orchards there and when you see 50 acres + of pink blooms surrounded by 100s of acres of purplish buds, its impressive. Really pretty but no time for a photo.
As to turkey birds there, they are out in force too.
For folks wanting to hunt some pretty good public land, the Carolina Sandhills NWR has a draw hunt for turkey [youth and adult]. Call 843-335-8401 to get an application, which has to be completed and returned by March 1, 2017.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Heard one gobbling at wood ducks, crows and my owl hoots and everything else while on the roost Saturday morning.

Sounded good....

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
I saw pines starting to show their male cones this morning, so we can expect to see the pollen everywhere pretty soon, I reckon.

But I see freezing temps in the forecast Friday night....

Randy

Ten Pointer
I saw pines starting to show their male cones this morning, so we can expect to see the pollen everywhere pretty soon, I reckon.

But I see freezing temps in the forecast Friday night....

My wife was in the Brunswick and Bladen Co. area last weekend for a educators workshop and her vehicle was yellow with pine pollen by the time she got home Sunday night.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I noticed this morning the new green cattails are coming up in the pond. This is about the earliest I have seen spring show up.

Still no turkeys in the fields around here though. Around the house, they only show themselves in the spring when they are strutting. Must still be flocked up for now.

Last edited:

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Finally got a sign of spring I like. Only one pic and only one bird but he would be worth it if he is still in the neighborhood come the season.

Aps3zIZ.jpg

RDn2Gy5.jpg

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
like the curve on that hook hope he hangs around for you kinda odd for him to be all alone this time year be curious if you get more pics

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Go ahead and name him wolfman so we can keep up with your pursuit of him.

Good Luck on that one.

Let's go with "Dagger". This is a small 50 acre property a mile from my house that I've never killed a bird on and has rarely held birds at all. We will see. The property is sandwiched between two new neighborhoods being built.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
like the curve on that hook hope he hangs around for you kinda odd for him to be all alone this time year be curious if you get more pics

If I had to guess with no information, I'd guess he got that old and sharp-spurred by being a timid, walk-away bird....

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Let's go with "Dagger". This is a small 50 acre property a mile from my house that I've never killed a bird on and has rarely held birds at all. We will see. The property is sandwiched between two new neighborhoods being built.

he's dead. :)

I hate to put the hex on you but he is in the wrong place with the wrong man aware of his presence. What a perfect set up.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Bradford pears have had leaves for two weeks, and I pruned maples today that had leaves on them.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Saw a big flock of turkeys in a field this AM and had a few toms in there all puffed up. They were way off the road but IO tried to get a decent pic.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Now that is one more good sign of spring Shaggy.Thanks for posting.

My dad caught some bass on a buzzbait last friday. I had them hit jigs on the surface Sunday. early topwater action for sure.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Nothing but cold for use around here in forecast nealy every night in 30's with few n 20's day temps 50's all good news to me I wish it'd frost every day till mid-April I hate hunting in hot weather in spring

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Looks like after tomorrow for next 6-7 days were not gonna get out of 40's for highs and 20's at night that'll put slow down on this early spring

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
My dogwood is starting to open up. Just in time to kill the blooms. I love dogwoodseeing in early turkey season. Doubt I'll see it this year.

skydog

Looks like this early spring is definitely hitting the pause button for at least the next week ...fine by me!