signs of spring

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
The day of our big ice event a couple weeks ago, I saw some forsythia blooming.

Today, I drove by that warm spot in town, and sure enough, the big maple was in full bloom....

If this warm weather keeps up, we are going to get some premature blooming of more fragile stuff, I fear.

:cool:

Last edited:

Thutty-thutty

Eight Pointer
I'm ready!! Going to get my 8yo daughters new crossbow ( she got for xmas) sighted in this weekend. She is pumped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Seen some trees blooming real early. Hope a heavy frost or freeze does not come and kill them off.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I saw a snake in the yard last week! Right after the snow melted completely and it got warm.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Not raining on the parade, but I think it is going to be just another case of cruel Mother Nature. Helping out those who may be short on warmth for a bit in the winter months is nice, but giving those of us who are anxious for spring false hope is just really cruel. If we don't have more cold weather I will surely be yelling global warming. Buds are starting to swell up here as well which will probably result in anything fruit bearing getting slammed later on. I'll be surprised if winter doesn't linger a bit this year.

waymoe1

Ten Pointer
I cant stand these temps in jan it needs to be cold for a while so I can enjoy spring when it comes. the temps are sure going up to much lately

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
we have caught some bass in the last week very shallow. that's a nice sign of spring. Ponds have really been good as well.

bass dont care if it's January or march just give them a little warm water and they bite.

Last edited:

skydog

Once duck season is done bring on Spring as far as I'm concerned but it seems like the bulk of winter in recent years has come in Feb and early March...I'm guessing this Winter isn't done with us yet.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I'm really hoping for late spring last year was crazy 80 in March then was snowing opening morning turkey season

GTO ONE

Eight Pointer
I heard the tree frogs in the creek bottom for the first time this year last night, they were going at it a little while ago when I putting wood in the water stove. Spring's only about 7 weeks away...

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Cardinals singing their Spring songs this past weekend and flowering plums already blooming....it's gonna be another year where my poor plum trees get hit by a freeze during full bloom and I get no plums....again.....or peaches, or nectarines, ect. Mother Nature has a bad attitude and a poor sense of humor around my house it seems.

Randy

Ten Pointer
A co-worker experienced an unwelcome sign of spring last weekend. He found a tick after clearing brush on his farm.

Last edited:

skydog

The grasss...err more like weeds...in my yard think it's Spring and have started growing over the last couple of weeks.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Forgot to mention I also saw a pair of geese by themselves the other day, at a pond where they nest every year.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
about a week and a half ago I saw a group of turkeys in a line right of way . Right on highway seventy in haw river at the river bridge. one of the turkeys was "blowed up"

that is the best spring sign i have seen. :) i do expect a gobbling report from you guys with backyard flocks this week.

the warm weather has everyone that can hold a fishing rod catching bigguns so that is a nice sign as well.

buttercups coming up.

Another early spring it seems.

Last edited:

Randy

Ten Pointer
about a week and a half ago I saw a group of turkeys in a line right of way . Right on highway seventy in haw river at the river bridge. one of the turkeys was "blowed up"

that is the best spring sign i have seen. :) i do expect a gobbling report from you guys with backyard flocks this week.

the warm weather has everyone that can hold a fishing rod catching bigguns so that is a nice sign as well.

buttercups coming up.

Another early spring it seems.

I saw two "blowed up" in the flock of about a dozen that was roosted near me while I was sitting in a deer stand New Years Eve morning. Also heard about 6 gobbles that morning.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Been seeing flocks for over a month, had to slow down for four jakes to cross my road yesterday. Crabtrees are budding and it's suppose to freeze here tonight.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I don't put much stock in the strutting/gobbling reports till mid March I have pics of birds strutting all year long and heard gobbles each monh in fall. Won't be much loger though be hitting that first peak gobbling in just touch over 6 weeks for my area

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
One thing I hate is an early sprng especially one where March is really warm then you get them real hard freezes in early April. Plus I'm no fan of heat I like frost when I go to get up and go turkey hunting

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
they had to be gobbling this am and will tomorrow morning as well.

someone listen and give us the good news. :)

I heard one the other morning gobbling at gun shots from duck hunters. He was fairly fired up. Only one bird talking. The place would normally have 5-6 singing, but there was several groups of duck hunters up and down the run blasting so I'm sure some of them were disturbed.