signs of spring

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
yellow bells and buttercups, that's a sure sign isnt it? seeing those around.

still can believe you guys arent hearing any gobbling. i need to check woth the crappie boys, i'll bet they are hearing some.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Maple is beginning to bloom. I would go listen one morning but so far I have no gobblers on camera. Property that has traditionally held a strong winter flock is a ghost town. over 4K photos and not one turkey.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Maple is beginning to bloom. I would go listen one morning but so far I have no gobblers on camera. Property that has traditionally held a strong winter flock is a ghost town. over 4K photos and not one turkey.

i would follow my own advice as well but have none close enough to be able to do it effectively. maybe this weekend, Sunday morning should be great.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I will be out this weekend little to early for any real gobbling bt may hear some tree gobbles haven't heard any since Dec. but I'll sure be listening.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns

hope they show up for you in spring sucks to have good turkey property and no birds around

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Earliest 80 degree day in greensboro by a full two weeks.

According to accuweather guy this am.

i know it is the earliest i have ever fished 60 degree water temps in early february.

Now about gobbling turkeys, who's hearing them?

dhsten

Ten Pointer
Earliest 80 degree day in greensboro by a full two weeks.

According to accuweather guy this am.

i know it is the earliest i have ever fished 60 degree water temps in early february.

Now about gobbling turkeys, who's hearing them?

Its all about photoperiod OS, lol.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Its all about photoperiod OS, lol.

This for sure only thing getting this time year is the same occasioal gobbling fighting and strutting they do all year long, But it won't be long now I can almost smell it give it about 4-5 weeks and they will start getting real excited and it'll only get better after that it sure is hard to wait with all this pretty weather though

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
We were out good part day yeaterday AM had the trumpet and some other call going sure felt like mid April morning only the calender said otherwise even in Mtns it got warm fast sweating like crazy just walking around

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
60s and 70s in the forecast as far as the eye can see.....

Gonna be ugly if we get a cold snap after all this.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nectarines have buds about ready to pop open, peaches have buds coming on quickly, plums are starting to show white through the buds...it looks like there will be another year without any of those fruits again this year. Last year was a heartbreaker with the late freeze, and this year is shaping up to be the same.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The red heads are still grouped up where I am seeing them. Have seen as many as 12 in one group on a farm where I have traps set. And I am seeing turkeys just about every day going to or from or while running my traps. Have not heard any gobbles or seen any strutting though.

skydog

A couple of the long term weather guys I follow are calling for a cold first half of March...but they've been calling for a winter showing up for months now so I'm skeptical.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Nectarines have buds about ready to pop open, peaches have buds coming on quickly, plums are starting to show white through the buds...it looks like there will be another year without any of those fruits again this year. Last year was a heartbreaker with the late freeze, and this year is shaping up to be the same.

Yeah, hate it when that happens.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Gobblers are starting to bust up. Been watching a field for the last month and a group of 6 gobblers have been using this green field. Well this morning there was just one lone gobbler. They must be moving around now.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
my memory may be off but that is exactly what happened last year during early april; big freeze.

Your memory is correct we had upper 70 days around her several in March and the opening day turkey season was hutning in snow it was bitter cold with wind chill lost all my fruit on my trees except some apple made

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I saw about 50 birds in one field yesterday morning. 3 strutters and several other red heads mixed in. They were out there with the deer feeding. I saw deer and turkeys in the fields yesterday morning up until 9:30 am. The deer sure know the season in closed. They didn't even pick up their heads when I stopped to glass them. I didn't see a single antler.

Last edited:

Thutty-thutty

Eight Pointer
It's seems like every year it'll get warm mid March, but by the time season rolls in it strikes a small cold spell. I used to think this hurt the gobbling but anymore it seems like warm or not ; if they are ready , they are ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
up this way I saw to many to count in a field Saturday and three jakes crossed the road in same area,,,,,

seen 7+ (they were still coming out of the woods) mature gobblers down in the Jones/Lenoir county area,,,,,(don't recall where I was exactly,,,,just drifting),,,,,,

still bunched up some from my observations,,,,,,

Last edited:

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
I hope they are bunched up because I have nothing on camera on two properties. Hope they break up and couple decide to claim some new real estate.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Just witnessed two hawks mating. That was a pretty interesting courtship taking place. Never seen that before.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
up this way I saw to many to count in a field Saturday and three jakes crossed the road in same area,,,,,

seen 7+ (they were still coming out of the woods) mature gobblers down in the Jones/Lenoir county area,,,,,(don't recall where I was exactly,,,,just drifting),,,,,,

still bunched up some from my observations,,,,,,
What I've been seeing here also.