Talon or power pole ?

THERYANO311

Twelve Pointer
Anyone have experience with these ? From what I can tell everyone has a favorite but just Wanted to hear from someone who actually used them thanks

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
I have a Talon and have had it for about 8 years now. Advantage to the Talon is only have to hook it up to your power supply. Power pole requires a separate hydraulic pack and two hoses going to the pole itself.
Power pole is quiet, while the Talon tends to rattle.
Power pole is slightly shorter than a Talon if height is an issue.
Both mount in the same way, so make sure you decide how you want it mounted and get all the needed hardware.
Talon slightly low price than power pole.
Make sure you have a Battery Off Switch as any of these type of products tend to drain your battery over weeks of non-use. (Jack Plate, Power Pole, ...)
EITHER WAY, I AM SPOILED AND WOULD NOT HAVE A BOAT WITHOUT ONE!

2boyz

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have a Talon. If I'm on a boat without a power pole, I use one (or two) of these. They work very well.

8' and 10' models are available from several sources.

12100000000http://www.basspro.com/Stick-It-Anchor-Pin-System/product/1308170621386/?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions

Last edited:

Markfromflorida

Eight Pointer
I have lots of experience with power pole. I grew up 10min from inventor, and the marine shop I worked at installed the first power poles. Their customer service is top notch too.
Sorry, I've never dealt with talon.

Markfromflorida

Eight Pointer
So does the hydraulic pumps give trouble . Only have a 2 year warranty

Not too much trouble. The early pumps were just mercruiser hyd pumps. They did have some corrosion issues with the solenoids. But, that was in a saltwater boats mounted in bilges etc...
The solenoids are cheap too.
Back before I got out of the boat biz: the talons had just came on the market. The complaint I heard was that they did not have the same depth as the pp. but, obviously both companies have made changes to their models so you should be able to get what depth you want.

The powerpole was a game changer for flats/bay boats. We started selling/installing them more often than trolling motors. For most guys they became mandatory. Then, guys started putting two on the transoms!

Last edited:

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Been in boats with both the Talon and Power Pole. I lean more to the Talon for simple one press button to send the unit down or up. It protrudes straight down when activated. The Power Pole arm swings out and down. The ones I have dealt with you have to hold the button to get the arm all the way down and up. Newer versions may not be that way, not sure.