Duck-n-Pastry

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
As a kid, I remember helping clean, pluck/torch mallards before my granddad and dad would quarter the birds like a chicken. The quartered mallards eventually made their way to my plate as duck-n-pastry.....just like chicken-n-pastry. Anyone ever had it? It's been probably 30 years for me. May try it sometime.....gotta kill a couple mallards first!

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
I've made it in the past with duck and even dove breast with fairly good results. It isn't a 1 to 1 replacement for chicken in a given recipe so you typically need to add more seasoning and some fat of some kind to the mix as the wild fowl totally lacks the fat that chicken provides for flavor and texture.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Never tried duck with pastry but on an elk hunting trip to CO my BIL shot a mallard hen in a beaver canal and we cubed up the meat, browned it and then made a pot of grits-n-duck and that was some fine eating indeed. No reason why the pastry shouldn't be equally fine.

Trappertod

Six Pointer
I have had it many times, my granny used to stew them ducks a while before putting in the pastry, she also liked sage in it. Add some flat stove top cooked corn bread and you had a feast fit for a king.