Fake News?

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I don't pay a ton of attention to much news period. I will watch/listen to enough to catch the headlines...occasionally. I have heard more and more about this fake news stuff. I see on facebook fairly often bogus stories on peoples news feed which I assume is what people are considering fake news? I always called that stuff bullS***, not even worthy of being news. I know we have to take everything we see on mainstream news with a grain of salt but I do not recall seeing some of these stories that are obviously bogus on the mainstream news channels or sites. The story about the coffee shop being a front of child molesters and human trafficers that was back by Hillary Clinton was one of the major "fake" stories I recall. Aside from social media, what are the main outlets for distributing fake news? If my posts sounds as if I'm totally clueless and in the dark about this stuff, you'll have to forgive me..I am.

billyearl

Six Pointer
Contributor
Fake news ...

NBC is known to create and disperse fake news. Remember the use of pyrotechnics to create a fiery Ford pick-up crash ? The footage of electro-shocked fish struggling in mountain trout streams as evidence of ecological damage by loggers ? Also,IMO, a lot of the "news" coming from the White House and the DNC has been proven to be fake. Bill

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
powerball-lottery-re-size.jpg
Lol, I'm not trying to get anything going, I was honestly unsure about what all this fake news stuff is about.

haha, no, I wasnt saying that in regards to the subject per se, but it seems these types of things tend morph into a partisan discussion. As if only one party/news organization is the issue. Just more finger pointing, does nothing to solve anything IMO....no doubt fake news is an real issue and is fueled by social media and our apparent desire for controversy. Both parties are corrupt. They are all politicians, they just are using a different angle to get your vote and increase their personal power/standing.

I remember when I first noticed how quickly obviously wrong info can spread. REmember about a year ago when there was some huge lottery and there was that Meme out there that tried to divide the total winnings by the number of people in the US and they somehow came to 3 million each? Well, those with a brain, or calculator, could quickly do some math and determine the answer was 3 dollars per person, not 3 million. YET, despite simple math that could be debunked in 3 seconds, that Meme was being passed around facebook like aids in a gay bar. Now, if that can happen with something as simple as a math equation, imagine what can happen when the person actually needs to fact check to make sure its accurate? plain and simple, you cannot trust anything you read on social media. Anything on main stream media should be vetted before you go passing it off as fact because you read it on the internets. Its not going to happen, I know that, just sayin......

Last edited:

Harpoon

Most of the mainstream media, CNN especially.

Not true.

"Fake news" is downright lies and "made up stories". So outlandish most people with half a brain would know its "fake".

MSN agencies have a system for verifying sources and facts, so majority of the "fake" news stories would never make it through the first layer of scrutiny at MSM.

That doesnt mean they dont take liberty with reporting....different animal.

Pres Elect Trump often gets the term "fake news" confused with news hes not happy about, further confusing the masses.

Yesterday, an article came out that described the man behind one of the more popular "fake news" regarding ballots found in a OH warehouse marked for Clinton...all of it lies. He was using the domain (he bought for $5.00) called: www.ChristianTimesNewspaper.com

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/18/us/fake-news-hillary-clinton-cameron-harris.html?_r=0

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Harpoon...It's absolutely true. Every time we turn around the MSM is getting busted for lying. CNN is among the worst.

Ex. The fake trump prostitute piss report.
Ex. Cankles dodging sniper fire in the middle East.
Ex. Brian Williams doing anything he claimed to do.
Ex. The Russians hacked the elections.
Ex. All those polls showing trump losing. (Which I believed)
Ex. The Rolling Stone rape story that never happened.

The list goes on and on.

Fox News and MSNBC are two extremes of BS media.

"fake news" as we know it has always been around, but the term has recently been used to describe junk "news" outlets on social media. You've probably seen them at one time or another, usually forwarded by your paranoid great uncle. "OBAMA IS TAKING OUR GUNS!"..."WATCH OUT! THE ANTICHRIST BARACK HUESSEIN OBAMA WANTS TO HANG CHRISTIANS!!!!"..."OBAMA ADMITS THAT HE WAS BORN IN KENYA!"

All 100%, grade-A, BS!

mekanizm

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
"fake news" as we know it has always been around, but the term has recently been used to describe junk "news" outlets on social media. You've probably seen them at one time or another, usually forwarded by your paranoid great uncle. "OBAMA IS TAKING OUR GUNS!"..."WATCH OUT! THE ANTICHRIST BARACK HUESSEIN OBAMA WANTS TO HANG CHRISTIANS!!!!"..."OBAMA ADMITS THAT HE WAS BORN IN KENYA!"

All 100%, grade-A, BS!

Now I'm confused......

Muzzleodor

Eight Pointer
For me fake news is not the obvious tabloid BS, its when supposedly legitimate news organizations fabricate or pass on information that they know is mostly or completely false in order to shape public opinion or blast someone that doesn't follow their agenda.

Muzzleodor

Eight Pointer
Not true.

"Fake news" is downright lies and "made up stories". So outlandish most people with half a brain would know its "fake".

MSN agencies have a system for verifying sources and facts, so majority of the "fake" news stories would never make it through the first layer of scrutiny at MSM.

That doesnt mean they dont take liberty with reporting....different animal.

Pres Elect Trump often gets the term "fake news" confused with news hes not happy about, further confusing the masses.

Yesterday, an article came out that described the man behind one of the more popular "fake news" regarding ballots found in a OH warehouse marked for Clinton...all of it lies. He was using the domain (he bought for $5.00) called: www.ChristianTimesNewspaper.com

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/18/us/fake-news-hillary-clinton-cameron-harris.html?_r=0

You have your definition, I have mine. Sounds like you got yours from the mainstream media......

Last edited:

Harpoon

You have your definition, I have mine. Sounds like you got yours from the mainstream media......

Figures...you didnt read the article before you shot it down as "fake news"...and thats what it was, a flat out LIE...(the story he told).

* people that know how to google image search found the picture right away and it came from another Country and was photoshopped (iirc)

Fake News just by the mere definition of it is news that is "not truthful".

Whatever fits your narrative though....keep on believing and I will keep investing in tin foil..... lol

Muzzleodor

Eight Pointer
I don't need to read your article, I read several hours a day. I only responded to the "not true" part of your post, perhaps I should have only quoted that part. I wasn't aware that we were all supposed to consult with you for official definitions of media lingo. Have a blessed day.