New guy looking for some information

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
But of NC haters here. I moved here from Miami, FL and hardly ever regret my choice to live here. ;) The most important question is why is the GF moving here?

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
But of NC haters here. I moved here from Miami, FL and hardly ever regret my choice to live here. ;) The most important question is why is the GF moving here?

And where does she fall on the hot/crazy matrix! I kid....I kid.........but seriously :)

BrandyWaffle

Button Buck
And where does she fall on the hot/crazy matrix! I kid....I kid.........but seriously :)
Damn I can't reply to everyone at once but I can at least try to sum it all into one post. Were looking now into down in the Cary/apex area. I don't care about being around liberals, I live right by Portland so I mean that's mostly who I deal with anyway. The gf and I are at a point were ready to move and get to a new area that we both really like. And of course on the hot crazy scale all hot no crazy right guys? I'm sure you would all day the same when you're woman is in earshot or you're gunna get all the crazy!

Last edited:

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
Don't misunderstand what I say; I grew up in N C and I don't hate it but I lived in others states for many years. I moved back almost ten years ago due to an elderly Mom and frankly was surprised at how much higher the cost of living was in N C compared to Tn where I had lived for fifteen years. Property tax, high gas tax, vehicle tax, personal property tax, state income tax, sales tax equal to or above other localities, as stated in the other post you name it they tax it. If you have no ties in N C and just want to move into the southeast then my advice is to give Tn a serious look, anywhere other than Memphis. As someone else suggested the Tri-Cities of East Tn is a very nice area.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks! I probably won't hunt the first year with just moving there. I'll probably spend my time researching so I can hit the ground running.

The only issue I can see (if you have already had hunter education) would be getting a resident license. The option of obtaining a non resident license is there. Cost is more, but that option does exist until you qualify as a resident..

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Apex and Cary is nice but alot of traffic and the rent is going to be pricey. Good hospitals close by. You are still within a hour drive of the Jordan lake gameland, Sharon Harris gameland , Chatham gameland and over an hour to the Sandhills gameland.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Welcome! You mention moving from just outside of Portland and my wife and I are looking at moving To Sandy in the next couple of years. Small world. As for the Raleigh/Durham area, avoid it like the plague. Greensboro is an expanding aviation city and new jobs open often for welders. There are many rural towns that offer country living with easy commute to Gboro/Winston Salem area. Forsyth Tech starting an aviation program leads me to believe that more aviation opportunities are on the horizon in Winston too. Airplanes need fabrication, just like anything else. Good luck in your search for where to live.

GregC

Six Pointer
Oregon? GF wasn't a cheerleader by chance? You guys hack the black panther thread and not jump on this soft ball? Come on in to NC - Raleigh and Charlotte are where the jobs and consequently traffic are. Guys and gals that want more country living are heading toward Sanford and Johnson County. Come on in - rent for a year figure it all out and then find a place. Your quality of live will improve drastically if you locate country side of these cities where you work. Really good waterfowl hunting down east and better hog hunting in SC.

BrandyWaffle

Button Buck
Welcome! You mention moving from just outside of Portland and my wife and I are looking at moving To Sandy in the next couple of years. Small world. As for the Raleigh/Durham area, avoid it like the plague. Greensboro is an expanding aviation city and new jobs open often for welders. There are many rural towns that offer country living with easy commute to Gboro/Winston Salem area. Forsyth Tech starting an aviation program leads me to believe that more aviation opportunities are on the horizon in Winston too. Airplanes need fabrication, just like anything else. Good luck in your search for where to live.
Sandy? Haha you're kidding me I lived all my life right by it in estacada. When you guys make the move reach out to me I know the area fairly well. It's good to know that Raleigh area is fairly bad. Luckily we will just be renting for a year and then that gives us time to find exactly what we want over there, whether it be in Tennesse or somewhere in NC.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Sandy? Haha you're kidding me I lived all my life right by it in estacada. When you guys make the move reach out to me I know the area fairly well. It's good to know that Raleigh area is fairly bad. Luckily we will just be renting for a year and then that gives us time to find exactly what we want over there, whether it be in Tennesse or somewhere in NC.

If/when we pull the trigger, I'll definitely get in touch with you. IMO, you've come to the right place for advice, be it outdoors or other. The men and women in this forum are laid out from the coast to the mountains and many on here have made the move from other states. There's a lot of knowledge to gain here on most every thread that's posted.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
That's funny that you feel like you escaped NC but I am trying to escape to NC,

Heat and humidity are my enemy......I got spoiled out West where there is NO humidity.

Plus, there is no winter to speak of here, making my fun days of sledding, good fur trapping, making snowmen, women, dogs, goats, etc are very limited.

Once the kids can manage the farm, we can consider a move to a more enjoyable climate. I can always put on more clothes to keep warm, but once I'm in boxers and work boots bushhogging on the tractor, and still getting heat stroke, Southern life is not enjoyable at all.

chef

Ten Pointer
What is wrong with Durham? I'll take a look at sanford!

i live in durham and aside from the crazy libs and higher taxes we really like it. you can move to northern durham county (outside the city) and avoid most of the city life but still have access to it. if you have kids though the schools SUCK and (trust me) private school is expensive. from durham you have access to jordan and butner gamelands as well as some of the other really good hunting counties in the state like person and caswell. you are 2 hours from wrightsville beach another hour puts you in the outer banks (waterfowl) or 3 hours from the mountains.

durham has its issues but if you want city luxuries but the ability to be able to live away from them AND you aren't worried about the public school situation it is a great place to live.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
You couldn't pay me enough to live anywhere near Raleigh, Durham, Winston/Greensboro, Charlotte area. And just so you realize it the Boone area is not at all cheap. Other than the taxes in the Boone area it is probably as good a place to live as anywhere in the state. Crime rate here is very low, mostly petty theft, DWI's and some drugs (mostly university students) but serious crime such as murder or robbery are very low. But also be aware that if one goes looking for trouble it can be found, some of the "old timers" are pretty set in their ways and won't take much crap before they decide enough is enough. LOL.

Unfortunately the Boone area is not noted for water fowling. There are three primary lakes from a half hour to a two hours drive. I haven't done any water fowl hunting since back in the days when I was stationed at Rapid City, S Dakota therefore don't have any info on hunting those lakes. There are a few public lands areas available for deer hunting again within an hour to a couple of hours driving but again I don't hunt public land so not much info there. There is an abundance of deer available and land can be found thru clubs, leases and sometimes just by asking. Grouse hunting is almost a thing of the past, quails (bobwhite) don't exist, Coons are a general nuisance, Turkey's almost the same, coyotes are more than abundant, rabbits are plentiful (but due to deer hunting mania), permission is hard to get.

Boone was not my preferred location when I retired but aging parents became the deciding factor.

Welcome to the forum, to NC (or if you decide Tennessee, which is only 20 miles or less as the crow flies). Hope you find a place you like and don't regret the move.