Any black panther sightings???

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
These panthers are getting way out of hand. Maybe Mr. Trump can handle them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
The last one is a Pitt Panther:p

The others need further investigation. Please send GPS coordinates for field study:D

Nope, the last one is a Cane Corso panther. I have a friend who has one and he is a long way from a Pitt bull.

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Ncdogs.........Don't be insulted by some of the Forum Fools posting pictures and making comments about "cougars"! It's a long-held tradition on this Forum and it sometimes gets out of hand!:p

Also the fact is that some people just cannot maintain concentration more than a couple minutes without their brains turning to
sex! :rolleyes:

wow4.jpg

4thFishing.jpg

We are well aware that the Eastern Cougar once inhabited almost the entire East Coast but was more or less exterminated several weeks ago!! (tongue in cheek) :(

There are those who swear that they've seen one and so have I, but I'm the only one who actually has the picture to prove it!:cool:

black_panther_1.jpg

That looks lake a Neapolitan Mastiff ..........good dog but a Bandog is a better breed. Give me a bandog over a N. Mastiff anyday. but a Bandog is 1/2 N. Mastiff

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
I have studied predators for years and there could easily be a few big cats that we never see sign of just think we have a pretty good population of bobcats in North Carolina how many tracks do see really not all that many I don't know if we have big cats in nc or not I'm just saying it's not as far fetched as some would think

Except black panthers don't exist.

MoBucks

Old Mossy Horns
I have studied predators for years and there could easily be a few big cats that we never see sign of just think we have a pretty good population of bobcats in North Carolina how many tracks do see really not all that many I don't know if we have big cats in nc or not I'm just saying it's not as far fetched as some would think

How much studying have you done on predatory cats? There are no, have been none, and are not going to be any black phase cougars in NC. There aren't any standard color ones either. The bobcat comparisons do not make much sense as people kill many bobcats her win NC every year... and just as many trailcam pics.... people have claimed to see them all over the state.... people have also claimed to see Bigfoot here... people make mistakes.....people shoot people every year claiming they looked like a turkey or deer....don't trust people.... until there is proof... there aren't any.... Not one person in this state can provide me with any proof... but hundreds of seen and several say they have pics.... but can't find them or will send them when they get back home..... I'm guessing those folks never made it home because they still haven't sent them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Jaguars can be black (melanistic). But the only Jaguars found in North America are in Southern AZ and Southern NM and they are very rare and extremely low in population there and in Mexico. I don't know if they have ever documented one of those Jaguars as black.

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Don't know anything about panthers; but this thread has given me a sudden desire to go surf fishing!

Ncgundogs

Spike
My bobcat comparison simply stated for the number of bobcats we have hunters don't kill or trap that many realistically hunters trap a shoot a very small amount and Yes I know there is no black variant of cougar I guess some people have trouble with reading comprehension because I'm not saying they exist is ask for accounts or sightings

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
FYI - there were nearly 4000 bobcats killed in NC in 2015-2016 season,,,,,,,

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
you all stop with the reality stuff,,,,,the man get's calls and was just wondering who else was on the "black panther" call tree,,,,,,,,,,

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
As I mentioned in another thread, I am familiar with the calls, they were pretty east to field. It was the face to face encounters that was hard to deal with and have diplomacy, many times keeping a straight face was hard.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
I have seen several panthers in the wild and just went thru a bunch of Google images of them.
I think that I can shed some light on this "black panther" hype.
Most of them are seen from dusk into full dark, they are usually tinged with some dark hair/hair tips, they are usually moving fast and they often are running away from the observer {which would accentuate the dark hair tips}.
My theory is that if you take all these things together, a normal mountain lion WILL appear darker and MIGHT appear to be "black".
I have seen alot of deer that looked very dark right at dusk.
The only cougar that gave me more than a fleeting glimpse of him was about 8 years ago in Kansas. He crossed the two-track road and ran angling away from me until he got out of the headlights. Best I can remember, he was dark and got darker as he ran into the dimmer area of the headlight glow. Not black but way way from tan.
All my other sightings were in the mountain forests of Oregon and all of them were quicker than a ghost. They too appeared dark as well.
Yep, this is it IMO. What do y"all think?

Last edited:

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
I in no way think that there is a wild mountain lion in NC. Probably a few released pets or such but no wild cats.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
As I mentioned in another thread, I am familiar with the calls, they were pretty east to field. It was the face to face encounters that was hard to deal with and have diplomacy, many times keeping a straight face was hard.

I can only imagine the kind of calls you fielded during your career,,,,,,,,

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
I've shot more than a few bobcats, seen a whole lot more on my deer cameras. Dang I sure wish those two species of 'Bobcats' inhabited the area where I hunt.

Tried to upload a video I retrieved from a deer camera this morning. It's a video of about the biggest, if not the biggest bobcat I have seen. Seems like my off again on again feud with Photobucket is on again.