Did they change my engine?

nckeith

Ten Pointer
Playing off the other thread, I wanted to give a heads up to anyone in the Union County area regarding Indian Trail Chrysler Jeep Dodge. I will keep the story brief. however in July 2015 I purchased a 2015 Jeep JKU which is the 4 door wrangler. I proceeded to turn it into a real jeep with a Fox lift, new wheels, tires etc. It was a fun summer and fall with my doors and roof off. I stored inside all winter and took it for rides on the weekend. Summer of 2016 I take the doors and roof off again. Still running great. Early September its starts to rain and at this point I'm waiting on my new 2017 Super Duty. I had promised my nephew my 2010 F150 so I put the roof and doors back on for work commuting and figure I will drive the jeep for 3-4 months. Needless to say I noticed a humming and rattling.
Here's where the story gets good.
September 17th I drop the jeep off with 8000 miles. I'm told its a torn transmission mount. Ok, two days later pick it up and it still vibrating and humming.

Between 9/17-12/3 They replace the Transmission mounts, the engine mounts, the harmonic balancer, the exhaust manifold and exaust, the body mounts, the torque converter and misc. other half assed measures the Jeep STAR Team directs them to do.

Turns out the engine has some internal machining that is bad and creates a harmonic resonance, confirmed with some type of diagnostic oscillator. new motor delivered to the dealer on 12/3/16.
As of today I still don't have the Jeep back. At some point they ruined the transfer case, the new motor leaked oil. Today the owner of the dealership told me its still not put together and the lost OEM bolts.
I obviously hired an attorney but when they offered a replacement I would have to pay the difference out of pocket between the old MSRP and the new MSRP. Not to mention I have 5k in accessories. Needless to say I am spitting nails mad. I'm Still waiting on a buyback offer but I will still be out.

I see it as I had 3 options. Replacement, Buyback or the darn thing returned to me in working order. The dealership is incompetent. The owner had the nerve to be mad at me for leaving bad reviews on Yelp.
Anyway, I would strongly warn anyone against them. I see 9/17-12/3 as the fault of the legendary reliability of Jeep Dodge Chrysler. However, since 12/3 its pure incompetence on the part of the dealer. I am blessed this is a 3rd "formerly fun" car, but at this point I hope I never see the damn thing again. I've been insuring it, paying taxes and registration and the opportunity cost of not having my 30k in the bank vs sitting on his lot. not to mention how bad is it for a car with a softtop to be sitting outside all these months. Anyway consider yourself warned.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My 2500 with a 6.4 had an engine swap at 8K miles due to a recall. I will say I was apprehensive but I got in it and drove it 670 miles home. It now has 40K miles on it and hasn't missed a beat. It is all in the competence of the mechanics and dealers.

Hank

Old Mossy Horns
Have you googled to see if this is a common occurrence on these vehicles? Is this the 3.6 Liter V-6?

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Let me give you some good advice.... RUN from a Jeep. I will never own another one. Inferior product.

I feel the same way about a Jeep, I would never buy one..My former BIL bought one new back in the nineties not sure what year model. It was a fairly good vehicle but repairing the thing after the warranty ran out has cost him a lot of money. He still has the darn thing but about all the running gear has been replaced on it..Then he went and bought his daughter a Wrangler and she says its nothing but a piece of junk and she is very unhappy with it..

I do hope nckeith that you get your problems resolved with this issue..No matter what happens you will most likely still be the loser with this mess..

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
My brother also bought a new Jeep a year ago. It's been in the shop more than it has been out. He also bought a new Chrysler (can't recall the particulars but top of the line) and it's also been in the shop as much as it's been out and neither have hit the 5K mark yet.

I'm in complete agreement with the others: I'll never own a Jeep/Chrysler product.

jim67

Eight Pointer
I have owned a 2004 Grand Cherokee for several years and it has been a very good vehicle. Has the 4.0 6 which from what I hear is a bullet proof engine. Sorry to hear your problems. I hope they work out.

PG2

Ten Pointer
I bought a 2014 Cherokee from them and I won't ever go there again... Chrysler should pull that dealership from them.....

nckeith

Ten Pointer
I bought a 2014 Cherokee from them and I won't ever go there again... Chrysler should pull that dealership from them.....
Now you tell me!
I see the problem as two fold. First is the issue that a brand new 3.6 V6 grenaded with 7500 miles on the odometer. The second problem started with their incompetence when they were given a new motor 6 weeks ago.
They called Saturday the vehicle is ready to be picked up. So I will no go over at lunch and pick it up and then promptly leave it in my driveway until I bring it back to be picked up by a third party vendor due to the lemon law. ironically, each mile driven costs me money. You can't make this stuff up.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
Dang I brought a vehicle there for a recall and didn't have a problem. They had my wife who brought it there go to an enterprise place because they do not do rentals out of there which I thought was strange. PIA go there, leave the car, wait for a ride to the rental place, get the rental, then return the rental, wait or a ride abck to the dealer. P-nutz compared to what you went through, but we'll be going to the dealer in Matthews from now on if needed.

I inherited my father's cherokee after he passed away last summer. Not a vehicle I would buy but I needed one and my Mom didn't at the time. Pops owed another cherokee he drove into the ground. Never had an issue with it. My brother had a new in the 90's renegade or wrangler. The tranny went within 100 miles of the warranty expiring (of course they didn't honor it), he then had a replacement installed and that did the same, right after the warranty.

Hank

Old Mossy Horns
If you buy a Jeep that has a 4.0 Inline 6 in it, you can expect years upon years of great service out of it. They do tend to leak oil from every possible place, but they will run for ever.

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
Lemon law....

Yes but lemon law does not just get you a new one. There are rules to it and what they offered is common. The difference in MSRP from his to the new one, now I will add they should pay to have all of his aftermarket stuff moved over to the new one. I hate the OP has been through this but I have seen this happen with every brand out there, that is why the Lemon Law exist.

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
I guess we got lucky from reading this, we bought a 05 Grand Cherokee limited with a Hemi, other than a few minor recalls we have not had any trouble
with this jeep. It has 183000 miles and still runs fine.