How many of you film your hunts?

redbow

Ten Pointer
Just curious. I'm gonna buy a used JVC camera from my buddy and I was looking for pointers on filming, editing, etc.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I do as well. It adds a huge challenge when self filming and it will ruin a hunt or two. I chose to start doing it so I could re-live my wife and kids first deer. When I started passing on a lot of nice young bucks in bow range, I wanted to get them on film, I enjoy watching deer. I've actually found that self filming keeps me from getting buck fever, since I'm preoccupied before drawing back.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've thought about documenting the outrageous number of squirrels I see, but am in fear of more moving in after having viewed the lack of deer competition for food.

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
I have not yet but I got a Go Pro for Christmas and will start trying to film my hunts.

HuntinCop

Twelve Pointer
I tried it this season and it is hard. One piece of advice is get a decent camera arm and fluid head. The cheap ones have a friction head and it is stiff and makes the footage jumpy.

If you want a fixed camera on you for a second angle, look online at the Ion Sports Camera. They are very good for the price (cheap) and have as good or better quality footage as the GoPro.

Last edited:

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
I have filmed lots and lots of varmint hunts, mostly groundhog hunts but some squirrel, rabbit and even a few deer and coyote hunts. I'll be the first to tell you it "ain't" easy doing both the hunting and filming, not even the groundhog varmint hunts. It's hard to keep the camera on the animal and the scope on at the same time.

I have the JVC video camera and also the GoPro. GoPro takes some getting accustomed to because you have no view finder and generally if you wear it on the head harness it takes practice aiming the camera correctly. With the JVC when varmint hunting I just use a tripod. If hunting from a tree stand I have the mount that screws into the tree, has three joints with a head that can be tilted in any direction (can't recall the name brand). Regardless of the equipment used it's a hundred times more fun (and successful) when hunting with a partner.

Like bowhuntingrook stated it's cost me more than a few easy shots at deer. That's when keeping the camera on the target and getting the bow or rifle aimed at the target at the same time becomes really tricky. However when you get everything right you have a treasure that will last a life time.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Go pro is good for fill in film but is not good for filming a hunt if you want sound or to see anything good over 10-15 yds. Even a cheap video camera is better.

Last edited:

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
I was going to mention that. That's a fact and good info to know when looking for a camera to film hunts with.

HuntinCop

Twelve Pointer
Also all camcorders are not created equal...I have a Samsung that has awesome HD video but it isn't great in lowlight. From what I hear the Canon camcorders have the best lowlight lenses.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
Sweet sweet video. I Wish I was half that good! I'm the worst turkey hunter ever..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
anyone use the Tacti-Cam if you bowhunt? It is basically a camera/stabilizer in one so you dont have any extra equipment to manage but since it is not fixed, it may lead to jumpy videos. I would like to get one eventually and give it a shot. I know they just came out with the 4.0.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Do I film my hunts??. Heck NO! Why would I want proof of how bad I suck as a hunter?:skeerd: I got ya'll snowed into thinking I know what I'm doing!:ninja: