Purchasing a handgun

biggins

I would like to purchase my first handgun. I already know which one I am getting. My question is however, where do I go for the psych evaluation stuff? From everything I read I have to have it done but it doesn't say where.

wasmeneh

Button Buck
It is my understanding that there is no Psych evaluation just a check of regional psych records that you have to pay for.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

biggins

oh. well thats easy. so far they havent put me in a crazy home.

flathead977

Ten Pointer
Here in Person county unless something has changed, you just go to the sheriff's office and request a pistol purchase permit application. They do the back ground check and then issue a permit in about a week. It was around $10 i think. I now have my concealed carry, so I don't need the $10 permit. Something may have changed and a psych eval may be needed now. I am not sure on that.

Last edited:

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
No psych eval for a pistol permit. Go to the Sheriff's office, apply for the permit, 5 dollars per permit up to 5 permits. It takes about 7 working days to get the permit. This is to purchase a handgun, not a concealed carry permit.

Part of the paper work to get a CCP is a paper you sign allowing them to check to see if you have any medical issues and psych issues to prevent you from getting a CCP. Going thru the process now to get mine here in Duplin County.

This a the cover page of the packet from Duplin County, items needed.
f00da4e90c4f4c3e55ca758ceb1a406a.jpg

Any questions for your area go to the Sheriff's office and get it right from the source.

Last edited:

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Now, this would really cut down on the number of legal handguns being sold.

Fees. Fees for psychological testing are $240 per hour, which includes time spent in interviews, psychological testing, test scoring and interpretation, and report writing. A psychological assessment with report typically costs in the range of $2200 to $2400.
Psychological Testing and Psychoeducational Assessment | Daniel B ...
www.danielpickarphd.com/psychological-psychoeducational-testing.shtml

biggins

thanks ya'll! I'll be filling out my stuff online this evening.

Last edited:

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
Purchase is just the background check. CCP is where the mental eval comes in.

In Iredell county you could get 5 purchase permits at a time, $5 each. Took me about 10 minutes.