Yardage estimate?

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
A good friend of mine attends a big "shoot" at an undisclosed location every year where many people burn through thousands of rounds of rifle and pistol ammo in an afternoon. The finale is to shoot/explode propane cylinders and they have graduated from the disposable "camp stove" size to 20# cylinders. From what he tells me they use candles and/or a burning piece of wood as the ignition source and shoot from 300 or more yards for safety. Even at 300 yards people must be behind suitable cover as the tanks and shrapnel can travel that or more distance. As a note- Tannerite is fun but it is purely a concussion type of explosive with little to no flame so it is not a dependable source of ignition necessary to make the propane burn.

If you want a flame put a plastic cup of gas on top of the tannerite.

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Now Lee,
why not combine a powder wedge topped with a 20 lb gas canister on top. we can strap the gas to the tree over the vent hole. May want to lengthen the fuse a couple of more inches though?

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Don't have trees quite that big to split, but then, maybe a 1 lb. bottle would be something to try. Wanna help....... and not just film.

thandy

Ten Pointer
Map gas cans don’t go that far when shot and no explosion. Now put it next to a fire and it is quite a show at 150 yards. The same thing for the little camp propane canisters…we have never done anything any bigger but I can only imagine.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We tied 4 old gas grill size ones in a treeline and backed off about 150 yards. They swung and spun pretty cool. Hit 'em with 7 Rem Mag and stout 45/70 loads.

Last edited:

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
The "big" explosion in the Waco disaster, was said to be a propane tank. It won't no joke!

Go to 6:54 of this video and see.

[video=youtube;jRTfEjhdvSo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRTfEjhdvSo[/video]

I wouldn't shoot at an empty one with your gun! Tannerite is still cheap ;)