Another Good One

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Friday night I decided it was time for more coyote action. It was really not a good night to hunt because the fog would keep rolling in and 1 to 5 minutes later it would clear out again. And seemed like each time I detected a coyote coming in it would bring a blanket of fog with it. LOL.

I got set up about 6 p.m. in my friends condo. It was rather warm for this time of year but just in case I eased into the Heater Body Suit and pulled it up around my waist. It's a big overgrown sleeping bag with legs so it's not easy to get into in the daylight let alone in the dark. I was set. BTW about midnight I began to feel a chill so I did pull the Body Suit up around my shoulders. LOL. As stated I watched fog roll in and out several times before midnight. Each time it rolled in the Night Vision (NV) binoculars became useless as the fog reflected the light right back in my eyes.

At 0032 I saw a coyote walk into the IR cone of light headed up the hill towards the bait pile. I had placed a HUGE road killed buck on the bait pile the day before. Someone had already sawed off the antlers, I just know it was a huge bodied buck. As the coyote was going to the bait pile and I was reaching for the rifle the fog rolled in and I lost the yote. Got the rifle up and turned on the Thermal scope and immediately picked up the yote about two feet from the bait pile. I really don't like to kill them quite that close to the bait pile but I learned a long time ago if you get even half a chance of a shot at one of the willy devils you best not hesitate. I dropped it in its tracks. I watched it to make sure it wasn't going anywhere and then swept the field with the thermal, Nuttin'.

During the night I heard coyotes howling five times, the most times I have ever heard them howl in a single night. The first time they were way off in the distance and each time seemed to be a little closer. After one howling session at about 0400 it wasn't ten minutes until I saw another coyote approaching the bait pile from the left. This one also brought a blanket of fog with it. I watched it thru the binocs as it got to within about 5 feet of the bait pile as I reached for the rifle. It turned back and walked into the fog bank as I got the thermal turned on but was never able to find the yote in the scope. About 20 minutes later I saw a possum come into the IR cone exactly where the first yote had entered. It went to within a couple of feet of the dead coyote, did a 180 degree turn and I watched it go all the way across the field in the binocs. Wouldn't you know it, no fog.

At 0545 I again heard the yotes howling and this time in the adjoining field not 150 yards to my right. At 0602 the fog began to roll in again and at the same time I saw a coyote come into the IR cone of light to my right. I lost it in the fog as I got the rifle up and scope turned on but I never did find it in the scope. Not sure where it got to. The bait pile is located about 20 feet from thick stuff above, off to the right about 40 yards another row of thick stuff, right at the condo 70 yards from the bait pile is a branch with thick stuff also. The only open spot really open for any distance is the hay field to the left for about 100 yards. I guess that helped me to decide if I get a half chance at a shot I best take it and not hesitate.

Not long after daylight the fog lifted as I waited another hour just in case another yote decided to come in for breakfast. Nuttin' showed. Hope photobucket and I are back on speaking terms. LOL.

Last edited:

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Always The Man Larry. I would love to be able to do that but I can't find anyone to give me enough drugs to keep me awake past 9, much less up all night. Those days and nights are long gone.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
LastTombstone: I'll admit I bumped my head more than a few times on the binocs mounted on a solid mount. Especially a few times when the fog rolled in so thick. LOL. Worst part is when I get home the next morning. Shorty has been home alone all night and slept soundly. By that time all he wants to do is play and maybe two hours is all the sleep he will let me get away with until he starts barking and growling for attention. I've threatened to disown him but he doesn't seem to worried about that. LOL.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Hmmmmmm. Looks like the feud with Photobucket is still on. That first photo showed up for awhile and suddenly if you click on the image it says I renamed or removed the image. NOT SO, I didn't do anything to rename or remove.

QBD gave me another location to host photos, as soon as I get time I'll check it out.