Use of Drones For Hunting

pugdaddy

Six Pointer
Anyone thought of using one or anyone has/does use one?

Every hunting situation is different. I have 4 areas where I hunt. I have one stand I hunt most of the time...Many times while walking to one stand or out from one stand and across a field I will see deer....Then I thin, Gee wish I'd been in that field/stand. In the right situation, you could fly over other fields in search. Be hard to do while hunting but could use to scout without entering a field....Just curious if anyone has thought of this....

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think the use of drones for hunting is addressed in the Regs. Best read up on them before you get too happy with your ideas.

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
I would never use one while actually hunting...legal or not. But they are an awesome scouting tool. You can see a lot that isn't apparent from the ground even 40 or 50 ft up.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Makes me wonder how we ever killed deer before we had scent free clothes, trial cameras, and drones.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
Makes me wonder how we ever killed deer before we had scent free clothes, trial cameras, and drones.

You should know this. They used a dog who cant read and chased the poor deer to death. Also a ciggarette is on of the best scent blockers in the world.

johnnyk2000

Eight Pointer
Son received one for Christmas and we flew it over the field and timber behind the house. The battery only last 30-40 min but we were watching birds in the tops of trees and raccoons, that was pretty neat. Saw a few turkeys in the field but they didn't like it at all. We were thinking that the turkeys thought it was a predator (viewing for 150-200 feet). Did all this from the back porch. I could very well see how this could be a tool for scouting but then the activity would no longer be hunting. just my opinion. The coolest part was when we downloaded the video to the 4K TV and watched it. Now, I could see how it would be great to take to the beach during the warm season "for scouting"

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
No, I wouldn't use one. But I can see their usefulness for real estate, etc. Nothing like a nice aerial video for viewing a property for sale.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Never in million years would I own one let alone use one for hunting/scouting. Had young fellow near house show me one I'd never seen one r knew nothing about em, my only thought was fly that contraption over my property and I call that target practice.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If I remember correctly, this is the same type of debate that occurred a few decades ago when trail cameras first started coming into use. I can see the attraction in using one for scouting and I've wondered about the possibilities of using a drone as a tool when tracking a wounded deer, but overall I'd have to conclude that using one to hunt with would actually detract from the hunting experience.......

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
If I remember correctly, this is the same type of debate that occurred a few decades ago when trail cameras first started coming into use. I can see the attraction in using one for scouting and I've wondered about the possibilities of using a drone as a tool when tracking a wounded deer, but overall I'd have to conclude that using one to hunt with would actually detract from the hunting experience.......

There is a correlation with game cams, but they are far less spooky to animals, even the noisiest flashiest ones imo. But the correlation is there, I'm not quibbling that at all. Good point.

I love game cams but at a certain point last fall, I took them down. It was time to hunt. I felt like I had a good enough survey running them for a month or so. The bucks we killed were never seen on our cams and the bucks we had on cams, we never saw while hunting.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Anyone thought of using one or anyone has/does use one?....

as technology advances so will hunting,,,,,,,,folks use all kinds of technological advances that weren't available "back in the day" (pick your time period),,,,whether it's weapons, clothes, scouting tools,, or transportation,,,,

I think the use of drones for hunting is addressed in the Regs. Best read up on them before you get too happy with your ideas.

where is it addressed in NC regs? I don't see that so please square me away.

My thoughts are that it isn't legal

In some states,,,,,I don't think NC has addressed that subject yet - maybe they have and I missed it

Last edited:

RJ1

Ten Pointer
where is it addressed in NC regs? I don't see that so please square me away.

In some states,,,,,I don't think NC has addressed that subject yet - maybe they have and I missed it[/QUOTE]

You need to check out G.S. 14-401.24 (b) it covers hunting with drones its not in the Regs. Digest.I had my lawyer research it one day a year or so ago thought it would be useful in getting information on a treed bear.

Last edited:

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You should know this. They used a dog who cant read and chased the poor deer to death. Also a ciggarette is on of the best scent blockers in the world.

LOL. Instead of blaming everything on the dog hunters we can start using the "drone hunters" as scapegoats. Hope you're well buddy !

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Never in million years would I own one let alone use one for hunting/scouting. Had young fellow near house show me one I'd never seen one r knew nothing about em, my only thought was fly that contraption over my property and I call that target practice.

Well then... maybe we should paint a number on it and put a collar on it. Call it a flying Walker. That way you'd be forced to accept it flying over your property.:D:eek::greenjump:

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
Well then... maybe we should paint a number on it and put a collar on it. Call it a flying Walker. That way you'd be forced to accept it flying over your property.:D:eek::greenjump:
[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Sent from.......wait....where am I?!

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
So basically if my drone lands on your property I've got to pay you $50.00 just to get my drone back?

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
§ 14-401.24. Unlawful possession and use of unmanned aircraft systems.
(a) It shall be a Class E felony for any person to possess or use an unmanned aircraft or unmanned aircraft system that has a weapon attached.
(b) It shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor for any person to fish or to hunt using an unmanned aircraft system.
(c) The following definitions apply to this section:
(1) To fish. – As defined in G.S. 113-130.
(2) To hunt. – As defined in G.S. 113-130.
(3) Unmanned aircraft. – As defined in G.S. 15A-300.1.
(4) Unmanned aircraft system. – As defined in G.S. 15A-300.1.
(5) Weapon. – Those weapons specified in G.S. 14-269, 14-269.2, 14-284.1, or 14-288.8 and any other object capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death when used as a weapon.
(d) This section shall not prohibit possession or usage of an unmanned aircraft or unmanned aircraft system that is authorized by federal law or regulation. (2014-100, s. 34.30(d).)

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
§ 113-130. Definitions relating to activities of public.
The following definitions and their cognates apply to activities of the public in regard to marine and estuarine and wildlife resources:
1) Repealed by Session Laws 1979, c. 830, s. 1.
(1a) Falconry. – The sport of taking quarry by means of a trained raptor.
(1b) Individual. – A human being.
(1c) Landholder. – Any individual, resident or nonresident, owning land in this State or, when he is the one principally engaged in cultivating the land, leasing land in this State for agricultural purposes.
(2) Owner; Ownership. – As for personal property, refers to persons having beneficial ownership and not to those holding legal title for security; as for real property, refers to persons having the present right of control, possession, and enjoyment, whether as life tenant, fee holder, beneficiary of a trust, or otherwise. Provided, that this definition does not include lessees of property except where the lease arrangement is a security device to facilitate what is in substance a sale of the property to the lessee.
(3) Person. – Any individual; or any partnership, firm, association, corporation, or other group of individuals capable of suing or being sued as an entity.
(4) Resident. – In the case of:
a. Individuals. – One who at the time in question has resided in North Carolina for the preceding six months or has been domiciled in North Carolina for the preceding 60 days. When domicile in the State for a period of 60 days up to six months is the basis for establishing residence, the individual must sign a certificate on a form supplied by the Department or the Wildlife Resources Commission, as the case may be, stating the necessary facts and the intent to establish domicile here.
b. Corporations. – A corporation which is chartered under the laws of North Carolina and has its principal office within the State.
c. Partnerships. – A partnership in which all partners are residents of North Carolina and which has its principal office in the State.
d. Other Associations and Groups Fitting the Definition of Person. – An association or group principally composed of individual residents of North Carolina, with its principal office, if any, in the State, and organized for a purpose that contemplates more involvement or contact with this State than any other state.
e. Military Personnel and Their Dependents. – A member of the Armed Forces of the United States stationed at a military facility in North Carolina, the member's spouse, and any dependent under 18 years of age residing with the member are deemed residents of the State, of the county in which they live, and also, if different, of any county in which the military facility is located. A member of the Armed Forces of the United States on active duty outside the State of North Carolina shall be deemed an individual resident of the State for purposes of all the following licenses:
1. Coastal Recreational Fishing Licenses issued pursuant to G.S. 113-174.2(c)(1) and (c)(4).
2. Combination Hunting and Inland Fishing Licenses issued pursuant to G.S. 113-270.1C(b)(1).
G.S. 113-130 Page 2
3. Sportsman Licenses issued pursuant to G.S. 113-270.1D(a).
4. Hunting Licenses issued pursuant to G.S. 113-270.2(c)(1) and (c)(5).
5. Special Activity Licenses issued pursuant to G.S. 113-270.3(b)(1).
6. Trapping Licenses issued pursuant to G.S. 113-270.5(b)(1).
7. Hook-and-Line Licenses issued pursuant to G.S. 113-271(d)(1), (d)(2), and (d)(6)a.
8. Unified Hunting and Fishing Licenses issued pursuant to G.S. 113-351(c)(1) and (c)(2).
f. Students. – Nonresident students attending a university, college, or community college in the State.
(4a) To Buy; Purchase. – Includes a purchase or exchange of property, or an offer or attempt to purchase or exchange, for money or any other valuable consideration.
(5) To Fish. – To take fish.
(5a) To Hunt. – To take wild animals or wild birds.
(6) To Sell; Sale. – Includes a sale or exchange of property, or an offer or attempt to sell or exchange – for money or any other valuable consideration.
(7) To Take. – All operations during, immediately preparatory, and immediately subsequent to an attempt, whether successful or not, to capture, kill, pursue, hunt, or otherwise harm or reduce to possession any fisheries resources or wildlife resources.
(7a) To Trap. – To take wild animals or wild birds by trapping.
(8) Vessel. – Every description of watercraft, other than a seaplane on the water, used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on water. (1965, c. 957, s. 2; 1971, c. 705, s. 3; 1973, c. 1262, s. 18; 1979, c. 830, s. 1; 2005-455, s. 1.21; 2011-183, s. 76; 2013-191, s. 1.)

Last edited:

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Article 16B.

Use of Unmanned Aircraft Systems.

§ 15A-300.1. Restrictions on use of unmanned aircraft systems.

(a) Definitions. - The following definitions apply to this Article:

(1) Manned aircraft. - An aircraft, as defined in G.S. 63-1, that is operated with a person in or on the aircraft.

(2) Model aircraft. - An aircraft, as defined in G.S. 63-1, that is mechanically driven or launched into flight and that meets all of the following requirements:

a. Is flown solely for hobby or recreational purposes.

b. Is not used for payment, consideration, gratuity, or benefit, directly or indirectly charged, demanded, received, or collected, by any person for the use of the aircraft or any photographic or video image produced by the aircraft.

(3) Unmanned aircraft. - An aircraft, as defined in G.S. 63-1, that is operated without the possibility of human intervention from within or on the aircraft and that does not meet the definition of model aircraft.

(4) Unmanned aircraft system. - An unmanned aircraft and associated elements, including communication links and components that control the unmanned aircraft that are required for the pilot in command to operate safely and efficiently in the national airspace system.

(b) General Prohibitions. - Except as otherwise provided in this section, no person, entity, or State agency shall use an unmanned aircraft system to do any of the following:

(1) Conduct surveillance of:

a. A person or a dwelling occupied by a person and that dwelling's curtilage without the person's consent.

b. Private real property without the consent of the owner, easement holder, or lessee of the property.

(2) Photograph an individual, without the individual's consent, for the purpose of publishing or otherwise publicly disseminating the photograph. This subdivision shall not apply to newsgathering, newsworthy events, or events or places to which the general public is invited.

(c) Law Enforcement Exceptions. - Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (b) of this section, the use of unmanned aircraft systems by law enforcement agencies of the State or a political subdivision of the State is not prohibited in the following instances:

(1) To counter a high risk of a terrorist attack by a specific individual or organization if the United States Secretary of Homeland Security or the Secretary of the North Carolina Department of Public Safety determines that credible intelligence indicates that such a risk exists.

(2) To conduct surveillance in an area that is within a law enforcement officer's plain view when the officer is in a location the officer has a legal right to be.

(3) If the law enforcement agency first obtains a search warrant authorizing the use of an unmanned aircraft system.

(4) If the law enforcement agency possesses reasonable suspicion that, under particular circumstances, swift action is needed to prevent imminent danger to life or serious damage to property, to forestall the imminent escape of a suspect or the destruction of evidence, to conduct pursuit of an escapee or suspect, or to facilitate the search for a missing person.

(5) To photograph gatherings to which the general public is invited on public or private land.

(d) Limitations on Use of Special Imaging Technology. - Commercial and private unmanned aircraft systems may be equipped with infrared or other thermal imaging technology subject to the provisions of this subsection. Infrared or other similar thermal imaging technology equipment shall be for the sole purpose of scientific investigation; scientific research; mapping and evaluating the earth's surface, including terrain and surface water bodies and other features; investigation or evaluation of crops, livestock, or farming operations; investigation of forests and forest management; and other similar investigations of vegetation or wildlife.

(e) Any person who is the subject of unwarranted surveillance, or whose photograph is taken in violation of the provisions of this section, shall have a civil cause of action against the person, entity, or State agency that conducts the surveillance or that uses an unmanned aircraft system to photograph for the purpose of publishing or otherwise disseminating the photograph. In lieu of actual damages, the person whose photograph is taken may elect to recover five thousand dollars ($5,000) for each photograph or video that is published or otherwise disseminated, as well as reasonable costs and attorneys' fees and injunctive or other relief as determined by the court.

(f) Evidence obtained or collected in violation of this section is not admissible as evidence in a criminal prosecution in any court of law in this State except when obtained or collected under the objectively reasonable, good-faith belief that the actions were lawful. (2014-100, s. 34.30(a).)

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Looks like a drone is classified as a model aircraft in NC unless you are using it for commercial purposes.