proposed bill would require species specific licenses in VA for bear, deer and turkey

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?171+ful+HB2255

A. A special license is required for hunting each big game species, as defined by the Department, including bear, deer and turkey in this the Commonwealth, which shall be in addition to the license required to hunt other game. The fee for the special license each species shall be $12 for a resident age 16 or older, $7.50 for a resident under the age of 16, and $60 for a nonresident 16 years of age or older, $15 for a nonresident 12 years of age to 15 years of age, and $12 for a nonresident younger than 12 years of age.

So 60 bucks per species for non resident adults

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Va already nickel and dimes a hunter separate license for ML season and archery season why not for species and I think your right already separate for bear like NC

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
If this passes they are getting rid of the current bear license and replacing it with the 60 dollar license .

I guess because they are also charging deer and turkey hunters 60 bucks each as well.

60+60+60= 180 in revenue

The language in the bill strikes out the current bear license.

I'm betting there are a lot more deer and turkey hunters so they see $$$$

Last edited:

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Other than folks that live on the line or have family there, how many people are actually traveling to VA to deer hunt? I imagine it's a small number. Probably a lot more bear hunters traveling than deer or turkey.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Other than folks that live on the line or have family there, how many people are actually traveling to VA to deer hunt? I imagine it's a small number. Probably a lot more bear hunters traveling than deer or turkey.

I've been there for turkey,,,,,,,,,,,,AND I'll "be back",,,,,,

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns

Va is traditional turkey state and turkey hunting is fastest growing hunting sport so they get fair amount non resident especially from states to the north that have later openings. Not to mention they have lot of public ground

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
First ever turkey hunting trip was to VA as a non resident. Got the bug started but haven't gone back because of cost of license mainly. It's not a far trip from a lot of places in NC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Not sure about deer I grew up in Va where I lived we didn't have deer season till year I graduated so I really never became big deer hunter I know there are lot people that head to central and eastern Va to hunt kind same mindset as NC