Duck Boat - Tiller vs Console

F-V_DuxNBux

Eight Pointer
What are advantages/disadvantages of tiller vs console steering in regards to a duck boat?

Last edited:

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
I like a console on bigger boats. But I also enjoy running a tiller on my small boat. I say if room is not the issue then go with the console, but on a 16 footer open space quickly disappears. I would prefer a console on anything smaller than an 18 foot boat and many days, I wish I had that extra floor space that the tiller could provide.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
You will need a 18 to 20 to have room for a CC or SC.
even some on a 18 have no floor room.

I would look at a tiller mod for hunting.
If bigger water and a 18 to 20 the look as a CC like a alaskan or a very compact drop in SC.

The boat Im getting info on now is a seaark 1860 VJ with a command thrust 60 merc big tiller.
It was cheaper than the Lowe it replaced and better boat and trailer.

The second one he is pricing for me is the Seaark VJ with a Alaskan CC and a 90 merc. If not that then with the 75 Big tiller merc. The 20' has the room and also a second big storage area.
Built in storage is a big thing to keep rope and other gear of the deck and out of the way for me.

Just me but I would not get a 16 to 18 that has no storage. My old 16 had a live well and that worked great for a catch all.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Along with the extra room you will NEVER turn a boat as fast nor as sharp with a console as you will with a tiller. They only advantage with a console is when you are running rocky, extremely rocky or loggy waters and usually this is with a jet boat. A front mounted console is nice.

ridenismo

Six Pointer
I prefer a console on anything over 16 ft. Once you step above that there is a whole lot of distractions and obstructions in the boat and driving in the dark sometimes gets tricky. A big flat bottom jet boat, and a kayak or piroe and you can hunt 99% of the places in NC.

workennels

Eight Pointer
IMO duck boats don't have steering wheels...unless your talking 20'+ big water fiberglass boat. ( and if you can make it work tiller or small side console is still better I think) picking up dekes with a tiller is so much faster.

Last edited:

obxfisherman83

Button Buck
Don't know what size you are looking for but I have a 2072 grizzly with a side console I am looking to sell. I love the open floor plan with the side console

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhwilli2

Eight Pointer
All depends on where you are hunting. How big is the water and how far is your run...We hunt mostly in the sounds, with pretty good runs so a console is the way to go. Rivers or small lakes I think a tiller would be better... Just my two cents...

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I hunted with a guy who ran a 25ft Parker with a stick steer and scissor rig. It's all personal opinion and style of hunting

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Don't know what size you are looking for but I have a 2072 grizzly with a side console I am looking to sell. I love the open floor plan with the side console

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to sell it and low post count won't let you post in classifieds yet, PM me info/price/photo and I will post it for you.

Last edited: