3" or 3.5"

PTman

Four Pointer
im thinking of upgrading to a semi auto for next year and wondering if i will actually ever need the ability to use a 3.5". to those experienced guys out there, is there ever a need to shoot a 3.5" over 3"? i know it is one of those things that it's nice to have just in case you ever do need it but just wondering how practical it is. gun will be used for duck, goose and turkey. i've been getting by just fine w/ 3" shells and talking to some other guys i know, they say they have never saw a need for 3.5". just wondering if it's worth the extra $$$ to have that capability

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
1ikdap.jpg

I have killed plenty of ducks and geese with 2.75" shells. I see no need for 3.5" shells. I think they are more a marketing gimmick...along with "extended range" chokes. In my opinion those two things combined are part of the reason we are experiencing the epidemic of skybusting that we all see. Anyways, outside of a 10 ga. I see no need for 3.5" shells.

PTman

Four Pointer
thanks for the replies. that confirms what i was thinking. looks like there is about $100 difference b/w the guns that shoot 3" and the ones that shoot 3.5". i can use that towards something else

FowlHunter09

Four Pointer
My gun is only a 3" gun and I never have a problem taking down birds. I often ask my buddys why they shoot a 3.5" gun and they reply back "because they don't make 4" shell's"

I don't see a need for it but that's my opinion

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Got my son an Xtrema 2, brand new, for $980. He's happy with it and it is a great gun. He mostly shoots 3.5". The drawbacks I see, gun costs more, shells cost more and loads for skeet and dove need to be in the ~1300fps range. If I had deep pockets I would get a camo A400 and shoot just about anything out of it.

Last edited:

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'd say it depends upon how much you feel like punishing your shoulder for a smidgen of results. I have a shotgun that will cycle either shell, but I bet I've only ran a small handful of 3.5" shells through it.

ChasinTrophies

I see it like buying a .357 mag and shooting .38's through it. I don't shoot the 3.5" much, but I like having the option.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
The ONLY reason to own a 3 1/2" 12 gauge is in the rare case you run out of shells, you can borrow whoever is willing to share............
If I was going to only shoot 3 1/2" shells, I'd buy a 10 gauge.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
I shoot a 3.5" browning gold hunter. I generally shoot 3.5" on open water, 3" in tighter situation like impoundment or beaver pond. I like having the extra shot in 3.5" shells and shoot well with them. Everyone I hunt with shoots 3.5" As said before its nice if you need to borrow shells, and it can really reach out and touch em. The right gun nowadays wont kick too hard on you with a 3.5". I reccomend it to allow for a more versatile gun. I hunt doves all the way up to geese and swan with same gun and no problems.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I just like options. I don't think you will kill more ducks either way. If you are a good shot you can kill them with any shell size out there. I think there are some guys who think the 3.5 is an AA gun which equals sky blasting. I do like having the 3.5 for when I bring my duck gun turkey hunting.

skydog

I shoot a 3.5" browning gold hunter. I generally shoot 3.5" on open water, 3" in tighter situation like impoundment or beaver pond. I like having the extra shot in 3.5" shells and shoot well with them. Everyone I hunt with shoots 3.5" As said before its nice if you need to borrow shells, and it can really reach out and touch em. The right gun nowadays wont kick too hard on you with a 3.5". I reccomend it to allow for a more versatile gun. I hunt doves all the way up to geese and swan with same gun and no problems.

Came in here to pretty much say the same thing.

On geese and on days where the birds don't want to finish and you're having to take 30-40 yard shots, I know the 3.5" makes a difference. Some of it's probably just a confidence thing, but I like the optionality of shooting them and feel like I drop more birds when I shoot them.

Last edited by a moderator:

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
I've never liked 3-1/2" in a 12 gauge, even with early steel loads with anemic ballistics and terrible performance. With modern day ballistics of steel and other no-tox loads I really see zero need for them at all. The guns are heavier than a comparable 3" piece, ammo is more expensive and cramming that much shot down even a 12 gauge bore lends itself to shot stringing and reduced performance. As has been said by others, if the need for that much shot is present the 10 gauge is much more effective in terms of patterns and reduced shot stringing to improve terminal performance...especially with larger shot.

labman63

Ten Pointer
I shot almost 2 cases of 3.5 this yr. Wouldn't shoot anything else. As for the comment a 3.5 gun has issues with light loads is not true in all guns. I shoot sporting clays and dove loads with my SX3 and never a problem.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
There was a time when I thought it both foolish and womanly to shoot less than 3.5 inch loads. My wallet and shoulder would suffer, and eventually I realized that I didn't have any more cripples or misses with 3 inch shells and I had more fun and didn't find myself developing a flinch. I still shoot 3.5 inch shells at geese, but mostly because that's what I have still and haven't had as much opportunity to hunt geese. I'd rather make sure I buy good quality shells of the 3 inch variety.

All that said, I don't think I would have a gun that didn't accept 3 inch shells. Its more about preparation for a what-if. What-if my buddy only has 3.5 inch shells and my bag goes over? And so on.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
im thinking of upgrading to a semi auto for next year and wondering if i will actually ever need the ability to use a 3.5". to those experienced guys out there, is there ever a need to shoot a 3.5" over 3"? i know it is one of those things that it's nice to have just in case you ever do need it but just wondering how practical it is. gun will be used for duck, goose and turkey. i've been getting by just fine w/ 3" shells and talking to some other guys i know, they say they have never saw a need for 3.5". just wondering if it's worth the extra $$$ to have that capability
I had a really nice HR single shot 12 ga. that shot 3 1/2s and used it for quite a few years. After going thru rotator cuff repairs I went the complete opposite and swapped it for a .410 thanks to a lot of help from Lasttombstone. I got lucky and tagged out with it and I never felt a thing.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
The ONLY reason to own a 3 1/2" 12 gauge is in the rare case you run out of shells, you can borrow whoever is willing to share............
This was pretty much the only reason I started buying 3.5" guns. It can be hard to get steel shot around here during duck season and I wanted the option of being able to shoot it all. I've bought four or five guns but probably only shot a few boxes of 3.5" in the last 15+ years of owning them.

auto5

Button Buck
For duck & goose all I shoot is 3.5" Winchester 2's and BB's. Has worked for me by far over 3".

Not a darn thing wrong w/ 3" , it's just what works for me....

Jmac

The 3.5 shines when you are using bigger size shots, 1s and up. for years I shot 3.5 no.1s

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
I have Benelli Nova I got back in 2003. I have shot a bunch of 3.5 shells out of it and do not see where it helps any shooting in a swamp. It is death on deer though with either a 3 1/2" load of 00 or #4 buck. I would like a BPS 10 ga to shoot a real 3.5

Last edited:

deerslyr30-06

Old Mossy Horns
I have both. I do think I get a little extra "reach" with a 3.5, but I also get a headache from shooting them. Not sure if its because of the choke I shoot, or just the recoil.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
3" will do you just fine as long as you're not skybusting big honkers. For all normal shooting and hunting, 3" is my preferred load. Cheaper guns and ammo and less recoil, they've always killed what I'm shooting at as long as I do my part.