Goose triple

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Killed hundreds of geese but to best of knowledge, I'd never ran a true triple. Finally did on Friday. Best part was I was shooting my 28 gauge using shells I'd loaded myself. 1oz TSS #9's @ 1257 fps. I know some will think 9's are way under kill, but the load is for ducks and the geese came in. Absolutely crushed the first two and the third one dropped at 40yds from a going away shot. TSS makes lead look like cotton balls. It's scary how lethal this stuff is. Tip of the hat to Hawglips on here for his expert tutelage on loading the TSS.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks y'all! I shoot that lil gun really well. Not sure it's because I'm that good or that the recoil is like a 22 magnum and I ain't scared of it. :):):):)

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Congrats Darkthirty... TSS is the best stuff I've ever shot. But the way I shoot waterfowl, I'd go broke if it cost me $12 every time I emptied my gun. :)

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
great job! Just curious if you dont mind sharing how much are those running per shell. I have been mulling over the idea of matrix loads for ducks.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Congrats Darkthirty... TSS is the best stuff I've ever shot. But the way I shoot waterfowl, I'd go broke if it cost me $12 every time I emptied my gun. :)

Oh don't get me wrong. I only use it for the 28 gauge and "special occasions" when I feel like taking the 28. I was born good lookin instead of rich. It's a curse I reckon. Hahaha

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
great job! Just curious if you dont mind sharing how much are those running per shell. I have been mulling over the idea of matrix loads for ducks.

Gonna be around $60 per pound. Running a 1oz load like Darkthirty will run you $3.75 per oz for the shot. A 25 round box of 1oz loads will run $100 or more in materials.

2 oz turkey loads are ~$7.50 per shell plus components... It ain't cheap, but it is deadly.

I've been shooting the Hevi-Shot "Heavy Metal" loads (steel hevi-shot matrix) and I can see a great improvement in dead birds shot once over steel. With the rebates, I think it is worth it to pay a little more and waste fewer shells on cripples.

Last edited:

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Gonna be around $60 per pound. Running a 1oz load like Darkthirty will run you $3.75 per oz for the shot. A 25 round box of 1oz loads will run $100 or more in materials.

2 oz turkey loads are ~$7.50 per shell plus components... It ain't cheap, but it is deadly.

I've been shooting the Hevi-Shot "Heavy Metal" loads (steel hevi-shot matrix) and I can see a great improvement in dead birds shot once over steel. With the rebates, I think it is worth it to pay a little more and waste fewer shells on cripples.

Ive noticed the same thing with hevi-shot which is why TSS is intriguing. Not to get in a debate about ethics but we had a pair of black ducks sneak in an land on the water outside the spread. I took one with 3.5 heavy and my buddy took the other with 3 steel. Mine never moved and his required 2 follow up shots.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Ive noticed the same thing with hevi-shot which is why TSS is intriguing. Not to get in a debate about ethics but we had a pair of black ducks sneak in an land on the water outside the spread. I took one with 3.5 heavy and my buddy took the other with 3 steel. Mine never moved and his required 2 follow up shots.

If Hevi-shot does it well, TSS will do it better with more pellets on target.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
The ticket for shooting lead is cheaper than shooting this novelty tss stuff.
Im not nocking it but it is way expensive. Shoot turkeys with a rifle for range and kill ducks with lead. All cheaper than the tss. I obey they law and I have crappy hunts because of shot regulations. Steel blows and I am jealous that I cant afford the high dollar loads.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Im not nocking it but it is way expensive. Shoot turkeys with a rifle for range and kill ducks with lead. All cheaper than the tss. I obey they law and I have crappy hunts because of shot regulations. Steel blows and I am jealous that I cant afford the high dollar loads.

I feel ya on the price which is why I think it has more of a turkey following over ducks. It does intrigue me as a matrix load however. That would cut the price per shell in half. Imagine how well 9 TSS would fill in the spaces of 2 steel

dhsten

Ten Pointer
I feel ya on the price which is why I think it has more of a turkey following over ducks. It does intrigue me as a matrix load however. That would cut the price per shell in half. Imagine how well 9 TSS would fill in the spaces of 2 steel

I shot a 1 1/8 load which was 7/8 oz of steel 3's duplexed with 1/4 oz of 9's at 1400fps, it was lethal on ducks! I just stopped shooting the load because it was too time consuming for me. I was rolling every crimp with a drill. I can't remember exact cost but it was something like 1.25$ a shell.

Last edited:

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns

I feel your pain but......I loaded 3 boxes (75) 2 years ago of TSS. And I still have a box left. I use it very sparingly and only for my 28 gauge. But if was cheaper, I'd load every shell for every gauge I have in it. And you'd see the 20 gauge become the perfect waterfowl gun. Haha

Ive shot a lot of critters over the years. I mean A LOT!! I still enjoy it but the older I get, the more I enjoy the aspects of loading my own shell and doing it with a gun or gauge most would think is not capable of be efficient at killing whatever it is I'm hunting.