Starter Package / Advice?

dbohunts

Six Pointer
I have been putting some thought for quite awhile into starting some photography(like I need another hobby). I would mainly be taking outdoor pictures, while hunting and fishing etc. But with two kids involved heavily in sports I would also see some use there.

I posted a link below to a camera lens combo I have found good reviews on for a starter package. Just wanted to see if anyone could give me some feedback here positive/negative or otherwise in a direction to go.

Thanks in advance!

https://www.amazon.com/D3300-Camera-Bundle-18-55mm-70-300mm/dp/B00IOQC528

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have been putting some thought for quite awhile into starting some photography(like I need another hobby). I would mainly be taking outdoor pictures, while hunting and fishing etc. But with two kids involved heavily in sports I would also see some use there.

I posted a link below to a camera lens combo I have found good reviews on for a starter package. Just wanted to see if anyone could give me some feedback here positive/negative or otherwise in a direction to go.
Thanks in advance!

https://www.amazon.com/D3300-Camera-Bundle-18-55mm-70-300mm/dp/B00IOQC528

I personally don't know anything about this model...another approach might be to make a general Google search about that model.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
In general nikon is pretty good but like RB posted Google for reviews. I will tell you that in general and slr while hunting is a chore to lug around. If you want to just take good photos some of the point and shoots or the mirror less cameras might be a better option. The zoom lense with that kit is OK but if you want to photograph song birds around your treestand while waiting for a buck to walk by its going to come up a bit short. I guess it all depends on what you want to do. I hardly carry my slr with me hunting because it's pretty heavy and bulky.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I can't speak to that particular camera, but like Moose said Nikon is a good brand (I have two of them). And lugging DSLRs and lenses around while hunting IS a chore. In all honesty, smart phone cameras have gotten so good over the last few years that they can suffice for most general photography tasks.

Also, check Adorama for price comparisons. https://www.adorama.com

witler

Eight Pointer
In general nikon is pretty good but like RB posted Google for reviews. I will tell you that in general and slr while hunting is a chore to lug around. If you want to just take good photos some of the point and shoots or the mirror less cameras might be a better option. The zoom lense with that kit is OK but if you want to photograph song birds around your treestand while waiting for a buck to walk by its going to come up a bit short. I guess it all depends on what you want to do. I hardly carry my slr with me hunting because it's pretty heavy and bulky.
What size zoom would be better?

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
500 is probably the sweet spot and even at times for me that's not enough.

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
The post above about about a DSLR being a bit of a chore are no doubt true. However, if you really are interested in photography I think its a great idea to start using one. Nikon makes awesome cameras. I started out with a D3200 myself which for a Kit setup was around 5-600 I think. I have since stepped up today a D500 and use mostly a Nikon 200-500mm 5.6 lens for birds, a 35mm 1.8 and a 17-55 2.6 2.8

heres the deal though. Those numbers I just described above probably dont mean anything to you other than how much zoom the lens has. What You NEED to do is get you a beginner DSLR camera maybe with kit lenses and learn how to shoot in MANUAL. The reason that is important is becuase it will teach you how the camera works and how to actually take photos. If you get a DSLR and just shoot with Auto mode you might as well stick with your smartphone. Once you learn about aperture, shutter speed, and iso and not only how the effect your photos, but also how to useee them to make your photos do certain things, you will be getting somewhere.

I would really recommend you get yourself a 35mm 1.8 or a 55mm 1.8 lens with whatever you buy. I almost bet you use those exclusively. Those are what is called "Prime lenses" meaning they don't zoom. Your legs do the zooming for you. Becuase they dont zoom however, you are able to get a little better lens quality for a more affordable price and you also get a really wide aperture that A) allows more light, and B) creates a shallower depth of field. I can give a child my camera with the 35mm 1.8 lens on it and an awesome picture will come out..

So in summary, get you one learn how to shoot in manual! Youtube is a crazy good resource for photos and then make a prime lens your first aftermarket lens, you can also get an 85mm 1.8 lens

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
Oh and one other thing. That body your looking at is a crop sensor camera... (Google it) basically your images are precropped so your actually getting more zoom than your lens tells you. The nikon DX bodies have a 1.5 crop factor so that 70-300mm lens is effectively a 105mm-450mm...

ThrillofDaChase

Ten Pointer
Just ordered a refurbished d3300 yesterday. $319.00 after you add to cart. I was disappointed the nikon site took down this same refurbished model yesterday, but happy when I saw the cost savings and still comes with the factory warranty. Great reviews from multiple sources, and really felt that it had a leg up on the cannons in the same price range from what I was reading.

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product/...Camera-w-18-55mm-VR-II-Lens-Black-Refurbished

Last edited:

witler

Eight Pointer
I got a Nikon D750 last Christmas and still learning all the bells and whistles. I actually miss the old film days of making easy manual settings.
As mentioned, BHPhoto has a good selection, sales and prices.
As mentioned, Youtube is a wealth of info, Matt Granger has some good videos on lenses.

I recently got a 300 lens and already wanting more.