Academy Sports in Greensboro

mdunker

Ten Pointer
I had not seen this posted. Going up on Wendover between Bridford and the 85/73 loop. Less than a mile from Field and Stream.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
These places are springing up all over the US. Guess they are doing a heck of a business. I went to one in Red Oak, Texas a few months ago. They had a lot of assorted sports equipment and a load of assorted firearms.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I like the one in Jacksonville better than the Dick's for sure. Dunhams is alright, but the Academy seems to be top notch of the 3.

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
Academy is going to hurt our business dramatically I believe.

Sent from.......wait....where am I?!

Last edited:

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
From what I've heard, they are supposed to open one up here in New Bern in a year or so. I sure hope so. The only thing we have right now is Wal-mart.

koszman

Ten Pointer
Contributor
The academy in Greensboro said they were ahead of schedule and should open in spring 2017. They have a big fishing section.

Tony Hawkins

Eight Pointer
I love Academy. It is the same distance from me as Dicks and Bass Pro and I have not been to either of those 2 in months. Simply-put, they beat the others on price, have a better selection, and their store-brand stuff is pretty good quality (where the Bass Pro and Readhead branded stuff has been terrible for me).
I needed new bilge pumps for my boat. The same brand and model (Rule) was most expensive at Bass Pro, $5 cheaper at Walmart, and $13 cheaper at Academy. I believe their waders are made by Hodgman and say Gamewinner; bought the breathables for $70 2 months ago and love them. I have used their H2O Express blue and green rods for 3 years and like them too. Daughter got a new coat for like $40 that would have cost 3x that at the other stores.
Another thing I like is their website clearance tab. Tons of good deals there too.

Ashy Larry

Ten Pointer
Funny how this board doesn't synonimize "good deals" and "made in China." You moan about Walmart but if a new big box sporting goods store pops up in an already saturated market And saves you 4 bucks on a pot-metal boat anchor it's heaven sent.

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
There are a couple around Charlotte and I like them much better than DSG, their own product line is pretty good stuff with great prices. If you fish their line of reels are very good and run really good sales on them. I wish they would build on in Gastonia.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Funny how this board doesn't synonimize "good deals" and "made in China." You moan about Walmart but if a new big box sporting goods store pops up in an already saturated market And saves you 4 bucks on a pot-metal boat anchor it's heaven sent.

WOW.........kind of random..........

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Geez wish we could get something on the northern side of town. When the bypass is done we will get a lot more traffic.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

I absolutely think of China when I see T-shirts for $8 or deer stands for $50. Earlier in this thread I was just trying to figure out what type of business model Academy had that allowed them to sell their cheap Chinese products significantly cheaper than BPS, Dick's, and Gander's cheap Chinese products. If you're bemoaning the fact that members on this board aren't avoiding the Chinese products... that's not gonna happen because that's just about every low end item out there. In certain classes of items, that's the ONLY place they are made.

If we see a tariff, the cost of living will go up noticeably.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I absolutely think of China when I see T-shirts for $8 or deer stands for $50. Earlier in this thread I was just trying to figure out what type of business model Academy had that allowed them to sell their cheap Chinese products significantly cheaper than BPS, Dick's, and Gander's cheap Chinese products. If you're bemoaning the fact that members on this board aren't avoiding the Chinese products... that's not gonna happen because that's just about every low end item out there. In certain classes of items, that's the ONLY place they are made.

If we see a tariff, the cost of living will go up noticeably.
I try to buy American made when I can but it is difficult with many things. My great uncle went off on me for buying a Toyota. My highlander was more American than his "American" car. Of course it might have more to do with the Japanese shooting him down and killing a bunch of his friends.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I try to buy American made when I can but it is difficult with many things. My great uncle went off on me for buying a Toyota. My highlander was more American than his "American" car. Of course it might have more to do with the Japanese shooting him down and killing a bunch of his friends.

Years ago my wife bought a Mitsubishi Galant, brand new(of course it got turned in a year later under the "lemon law" but I digress ), My old buddy that I used to do gun work with was a WW II vet and couldn't believe that anyone in America would buy Mitsubishi.
He said that Mitsubishi was one of the largest Japanese manufacturers during WW II and made al kinds of weapons, planes and vehicles. He even asked the wife not to park that car in his driveway, which of course she honored.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Years ago my wife bought a Mitsubishi Galant, brand new(of course it got turned in a year later under the "lemon law" but I digress ), My old buddy that I used to do gun work with was a WW II vet and couldn't believe that anyone in America would buy Mitsubishi.
He said that Mitsubishi was one of the largest Japanese manufacturers during WW II and made al kinds of weapons, planes and vehicles. He even asked the wife not to park that car in his driveway, which of course she honored.

Mitsubishi made the Japanese Zero plane, the one synonymous with the Kamikaze attacks. I have a good friend who is a WW2 veteran, fought in Iwo Jima and Okinawa, the largest Kamikaze assault in history. He lost many good men and he said it took a long time to be able to rationalize why people bought Mitsubishi's in America.

It's really different than Volkswagen when you get down to it. Nazi Germany created VW as a government sanctioned brand and used Jewish slave labor in many of their early plants, to assemble it's products.

Last edited:

n.d.woods

Eight Pointer
Kind of like how I thought it odd the first president elected after 9/11 was named "Obama.". I guess we are a forgiving people, a lil too nearsighted, or well not too smart!