Salt law?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Speaking of what the warden would do is the "salt lick" law even enforced in NC?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well there is the law for you.

Goodnight.
And you knew that was on the books prior to ever starting this thread, you have mentioned it before every turkey season I can remember. Always going going for that wow factor aren't you?

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I've been running trail cams on mineral licks that have some sort of salt content for at least 11 years. I have never noticed turkeys using the salt licks with any kind of freqency. Deer hit them every day for months at a time. I do get the occasional flock of turkeys passing by but I don't see turkeys attracted to salt licks.

Does anyone have any experience with turkeys being attracted to salt?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I've been running trail cams on mineral licks that have some sort of salt content for at least 11 years. I have never noticed turkeys using the salt licks with any kind of freqency. Deer hit them every day for months at a time. I do get the occasional flock of turkeys passing by but I don't see turkeys attracted to salt licks.

what months do the deer use them with the most frequency?

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
There is a reason turkeys don't go to salt. It can be fatal in high quantities.

Might as well chain a coyote up and call it turkey bait. Same result.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I can't say as I've ever seen birds use a salt lick had cameras on them but they may feed by but never use it

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
From the WRC:

There is no distance criteria. If the bait is drawing the animals to the area you are hunting it is considered baiting.

I guess its up to the WRC to determine if the bait/salt is drawing turkeys to the "area" you are hunting?

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
From the WRC:

I guess its up to the WRC to determine if the bait/salt is drawing turkeys to the "area" you are hunting?

always been that way wildman,,,,,at least in the 44 years I have been hunting,,,,,,all up to how the game warden interprets how the bait/attractant has influenced the prey animal,,,,,,,nothing new there

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
always been that way wildman,,,,,at least in the 44 years I have been hunting,,,,,,all up to how the game warden interprets how the bait/attractant has influenced the prey animal,,,,,,,nothing new there

WM, I agree...

We have had deer licks on our farms for over 20 years. I remember when "Deer Cocaine" came out in the early 90's. We had holes in the ground as big as a truck hood in places. It was like that in every club I was in, and is still like that. We even had GW's in our club. My 11 years of camera history tells me turkeys don't use and aren't attracted to deer licks.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nope, nothing new. He just thought he would get a couple more "licks" in on that poor old horse.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer

I hunted over a mineral lick the first week of bow season in SC this year and a flock of birds walked 15 yards to the right of it without a second glance. I was also collecting pics over that lick for 3 months and didnt get a single turkey. Didn't see any turkey sign near the actual hole, either, and I know the land has a pretty good population so its not for a lack of birds IMHO.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
WM, I agree...

We have had deer licks on our farms for over 20 years. I remember when "Deer Cocaine" came out in the early 90's. We had holes in the ground as big as a truck hood in places. It was like that in every club I was in, and is still like that. We even had GW's in our club. My 11 years of camera history tells me turkeys don't use and aren't attracted to deer licks.

I've never seen them use a salt/mineral lick either but you still can't hunt on a property that has salt licks.

Last edited:

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I've never seen them use a salt/mineral lick either but you still can't hunt on a property that has salt licks.

I guess that includes every cow/horse pasture that has ever had a mineral block in it? A very common practice for cattle farmers for decades. If that law was being enforced, every block of woods in eastern NC would be off limits to turkey hunting.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I doubt its being enforced at all.

I emailed some folks in the General Assembly to change the law and end this .

Corn is one thing, salt another when it comes to turkeys

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You were the one who told me to ask the WRC and I did.
No, as usual you misconstrue the facts. You trolled the forum trying to get a rise, or at best answers from someone that doesn't matter at all. I suggested that you ask the folks that enforce the laws, the ones you have to appease on a daily basis and the ones whose opinions do matter when it comes down to you being cited over the subject. I really had no idea you would take small suggestion of help, you usually don't.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
One side of your mouth this:

And with the other:

No double standard.

Just because a law is not enforced does not make it ethical to break it.

Thats up to the individual hunter whether they want to hunt near salt. NC hunters who put out minerals for deer will have to make that choice each turkey season until the law is changed.

YMMV

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No double standard.

Just because a law is not enforced does not make it ethical to break it.

Thats up to the individual hunter whether they want to hunt near salt. NC hunters who put out minerals for deer will have to make that choice each turkey season until the law is changed.

YMMV
Again there you go spewing falsehoods, you DON'T know if it is enforced or not.