Reloading Press

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
My tax return is on it's way, and I'm trying to begin reloading my own rifle ammo. Most people I've talked to have recommended the Lee Turret Press or Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press. I'm not too concerned with speed, more about consistency. Recommendations? I see on midwayusa.com they have versions of both that come as a kit with almost everything you need. Anyone ever used these kits?

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
I bought the challenger breech lock 4 years ago as the kit. The only things not included are a manual, case trimmer, tumbler and micrometer IMHO. The breech lock works well but you need a fair amount of lock rings. There is a small amount of play in between ring and the press. This set up has made me a ton of ammo. Thousands of pistol rounds and at least 1000 .308 win, some .270, 3006, 300wsm, 30 30 and .223 as well. I have been able to load consistent sub moa ammo with this set up. I have a Lee four hole turret mouneed next to it and almost never use it. I just bought a rock chucker as a replacement. I am super excited. I don't know whether to get rid of the turret honestly.

GrizzlyBear

Old Mossy Horns
I have a few extra things that might help a reloaded. Let me know what you need to buy. I might can make you a deal.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
For entering into the hobby, buy a lee kit. They are capable of the same accuracy as any other. Its not the arrow, its the indian.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
go green.
RCBS.

been loading with there gear around 40.years and no problems that they did not cover fast and free in that time. Most was dies and pins that they should not have replaced or.fixed yet they did.

Other than that go blue for faster loading. Set up a few SDB or a 550 maybe a 650 for great loading and fast,

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I like the Lee Challenger. I have been using it for a few years now. I buy locking rings for all my dies, so they are always set up for a specific load. I have never had good luck with the factory locking rings on any manufacturers dies. I bought the kit. The scale is the only thing that made me really want something better. I now use a Hornady beam scale. There may be better but the Lee Challenger has done what I wanted it for, I can't complain. I did also buy a Lyman Universal cases trimmer to fill that need. The Lee powder measurer works fine never any issues.

Last edited:

guyo

Ten Pointer
I just bought a Lyman expert at Netchez for 326.00 plus shipping it comes with everything you need for reloading except Brass Bullets primers and powder. It has the 1500 scale.

Guy

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
Good thing about the Lee Cast turret isnt the speed but the flexibility of the caliber changes with a $12 extra turret. You set it and forget it between calibers.

drhunter1

Four Pointer
I bought the Lee "Classic" turret press last summer and like it a lot. It came with a lot of things including a good manual. The only problem is the shell doesn't always line up exactly with one of the dies. It seems to be a common problem but it's supposed to be an easy fix. I just haven't done it yet. I really don't think you will be disappointed with it. I did a lot of research beforehand and I believe this is the best value out there. Especially if you can catch it on sale someplace. Just shop around.