OK, I need vacation ideas.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Don't discount France altogether, just stay out of Paris. Fly into Bordeaux, rent a car and head up the Dordogne river into the Perigord Noir region for 2-4 days, drive down to Toulouse or on into the Pyrenees mountains. Stay off the motorways if you want to see the real countryside, eat the food, visit the castles, see the paintings in the caves, lots of things to do. If you can cross borders with the rental then go on into Spain and see all you can, maybe even Portugal if time allows then beat feet back to Bordeaux to catch your flight.

Last edited:

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There is plenty to see and do in Alaska but it takes time. No way you can do it all in one trip. Our inside passage cruise was great but barely scratched the surface.

My daughter took a brief excursion to Ireland and Scotland while she was studying abroad and loved it. She also visited Wales.

23mako

Ten Pointer
You should go to Alaska. Fly into Anchorage and eat at Glacier Brewhouse. Go grab a beer at Midnight Sun Brewery.

Rent a car and drive to McCarthy (Wrangell St Elias National Park) and stay in a cabin there. Depending on your fitness level you could hike to and on the Root Glacier. (There are guides that do this in McCarthy.)

Drive down the Kenai Peninsula and go to Homer or Seward. Take a fishing trip for Halibut amongst other species. I can give you more advice if you would like to go.

The summer will be the rainy season in Costa Rica.

Last edited:

Redeye

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
You can join me and my wife in Haiti. We go in a few weeks then again in Sept or Oct. :D

Markfromflorida

Eight Pointer
My wife and I spent 10 days in Costa Rica for our honeymoon. We did 5 nights at the Bosque del Cabo resort- on the SW tip of the country. It's an "ecolodge", so no A/C, but temps were nice. We rode horses on the beach and hiked everyday seeing many types of monkeys and animals. Good was amazing. Our bungalow had a deck right on edge of a cliff where you could look out at the pacific, and see almost to Panama. Macaws parrots flew by every day by the dozens.

Then, we stayed at the Hotel Arenal- which is at base of a volcano. They have secluded bungalows with tv and ac. We zip lined and white water rafted there. I did all the research thru trip advisor and read the comments/reviews.

I also worked in Italy for 6 months. That is a beautiful country. You could rent a car and just drive around. Rome, Florence, Verona, etc.. Venice was not that nice tho, but cool to see. Food is obviously amazing. There are a lot of smaller towns to see that are friendly and not touristy.

Last edited:

Muzzleodor

Eight Pointer
My woman is from Ireland, all her family is there, I've been five times and going back for the sixth time in September and can't wait.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
The season may not be perfect but I'd suggest an Australia & New Zealand trip (half and half). Much to do & see between Sydney and Melbourne and areas around Auckland are amazing. Definitely an once in a lifetime trip.

2boyz

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
1. Go somewhere that there will be 100% chance that you will go back: ALASKA.

2. (This tip is from a friend. I have not been.) To truly see unspoiled country coupled with a unique experience, consider taking the S L O W train that runs across Manitoba from Winnipeg to Churchill. The experience is the country and the diversity of the people on the train. Spend 2 days in Churchill and time your visit for the polar bears. Fly from Churchill to Iceland for 4-5 days.

Cootmeurer

Six Pointer
If I could, I'd see the countryside of Ireland and Scotland in one trip in an absolute heartbeat. If it's anything like the pictures or movies, I could spend a very long time there.

In reality - it rains a lot in both. Not heavy rain, not T'storms, but rain. That being said - yes - it is awesome and everytime I go the first thing I do when I come back is to start planning the next trip.

The difference between the two would be this

Scotland - much better history and sights to see. More diversity of land, and much better whisky.

Ireland - much nicer people. They really are almost artificially nice, except they aren't fake. I am convinced you could pick a house at random, walk in, introduce yourself, and be welcomed in for tea and soda bread.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
10 Days?

Fly to Bermuda and stay for 5 days. Fish, explore, hike, swim and relax. Hop on a plane fly to Belize and repeat. Fly home.

<>< Fish

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
Just returned from China today. I like China and the people but there is no way I'd spend a vacation there!

New Zealand I'm a heartbeat. Been once a few years back. Nicest people and most impressive diversity of scenery. On the north island in the span of a 3 hrs drive you drive through Alpine, jungle, desert and beach. Fishing is incredible. I saw a flock of turkey and peacock together! Elk, deer and crazy colored ducks everywhere.

skydog

I'm not a big fan of traveling out of the country, but Italy (specifically Tuscany) is one of the few places I would go to again in a second if given the opportunity. Plenty of perfect small towns, beautiful countryside, and some of the best food, wine, and people you'll ever come across.

I know you said it's not on your list but just had to speak my peace :D

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
...Alaska in 10-11 days...

I've been to Alaska and have every intention of going back. Would love to retire there. That being said, 10-11 days in Alaska will leave you feeling somewhat "unfulfilled." There is so much to see and do, especially in the summer. Midnight looks like morning. Sun all the time. The next time we go, it won't be for less than 2 1/2 weeks. There is seriously, that much to do. If you do go, I would highly recommend making a trip up Hatcher Pass. Good luck on your search!

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Been to Scotland twice and would go back in a minute. Beautiful country and friendly people.

mekanizm

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My wife and I just returned from Ireland where I was on a business trip. I would agree the people are ridiculously friendly. Apparently we had excellent weather as it was sunny two days and overcast but no rain the other three. Pubs and castle ruins everywhere. Learned to drive on the left and explored by car two days. Three days took a bus into Dublin so I could hit the pubs and saw several of the attractions..Trinity College, Dublin Castle, Kilhaimen Jail, Guinness Storehouse. In the country we saw Trim Castle, Rock of Cashel and NewGrange. Everything was green. I can only imagine it in the summer where the highs are mid-sixtys. Any conversation over 5 minutes and they brought up Trump. They were stunned that I was ecstatic over his win. They are truly at the mercy of the mainstream media. Really wish I could have made it over to the west coast.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
For an old country boy, I have had the pleasure of seeing quite a few places on this earth outside the USA. Under the right circumstances, I would return to many of them in roughly the following order:

Australia - Saw Sydney and drove on the wrong side of the road down to Brisbane for a few days on the coast in their fall. Australia is big, just did not get to see a lot of it.

Singapore - sort of a melting pot of Asian cultures, fantastic food and a good jumping off spot to other destinations like Thailand

Tokyo - Would try to see more of the country and would definitely do the Hiroshima trip that I never did. Great food as well.

Italy - The history of the Roman Empire, The Coliseum, The Apian Way, The Vatican. Food is great.

Switzerland - Only got to see Zurich, would like to see more of the country.

New Zealand - Only saw the North Island, would like to do the South Island

Any European trip would include a few days in Spain as well. Only saw Madrid.

Jaybird

Twelve Pointer
Not sure the timeline would be good for it, but I've enjoyed my trips to South America. Argentina and Chile are both beautiful countries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shine

Six Pointer
Contributor
Bahamas but not a resort. rent a condo or house and possibly a boat if you can. great fishing all over, amazing water, and fun bars (must go to nippers)

Tunanut

Ten Pointer
My wife and I spent our honeymoon in Costa Rica, which was tremendous. TunaNut did a super write-up on this forum from his trip a few years ago:

http://www.nchuntandfish.com/forums/showthread.php?97712-Epic-vacation-in-Costa-Rica/

Also, if you have not been to Hawaii, and want to just leave the continental U.S., then you and more importantly your wife would love it. Perfect 10-day trip.

Wow, thanks for reminding me about that. It was an awesome trip and I continue to frequent Costa Rica, about to buy a place down there in prep for semi retirement. It's only a 4hr15min flight from CLT, a lot closer than people think. I've been to Bora Bora, China, all over Central and South America, the bahamas and spent 3 years in Europe on Uncle Sugar's dime. If you haven't been to Europe, you should check it out. Stay out of the big city's and stay in smaller towns in Gasthaus or B&B's. You'll be glad you did. It's an easy trip compared to HI or Tahiti. NZ and AU, is on my list but I will need at least a month to 6 weeks. Too far to go for a short trip. Same with Bali and the seychelles. If I had to stay in the US, it would be to Alaska. Just my thoughts.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
OUtstanding responses and thank you.

It's sad how much I feed off of this forum lol.

To answer some questions, We went to hawaii for our honeymoon. It was awesome. But, we want to go someplace new. No, I do no count Alaska as "inside the country". But I don't think I could do Alaska in 11 days. I think I would probably quit my job, and try to jump on a crab boat to sustain myself until the next crab season while visiting Alaska. Imho, Alaska is a 3-4 week vacation. My uncle does 5-8 weeks there every summer, grandkids in tow. New Zealand/Australia are similar. Awesome places, but have to be in a time when we can both take off 3-8 weeks in a row (aka retirement).

Spain, Italy, France etc. They are probably great places, but we've both decided not for this trip.

I have no interest in Thailand, or Phillipines or any place in Africa right now. They are all probably cool in their own way, but they don't "spark" us when mentioned.

It's kind of crazy, we literally got on google earth and "spun" the globe. Only the same few places came up.

I can't believe it but the Ireland/Scotland trips sounds fantastic. Costa Rica sounds Fantastic. Alaska sounds like a scouting trip, one that she won't appreciate. Netherlands sounds like "me" searching for info about my last name and dragging her along.

The South America locations are making an impression now. I hate making decisions!

Someone mentioned "|Brazil" and that's all. Not "GO TO, not AVOID!" LOL

Bottom line is we have to pick a place probably before February is over, and settle on it.

Worse things can happen in this world.

And I can't thank y'all enough for your suggestions to this point, or those which are still forthcoming.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Do you 2 scuba dive? My wife loves Roatan, Honduras. It's an island and thus far is not touristy like Grand Cayman, etc. Mainly natural, which is one reason my wife loves it. Currently she is not a diver, but she wants to stay there and sight see while I dive(trying to get her to get certified). She said numerous times that she would be willing to sell everything we have and move there. It is a little tempting. Lol. Anthony's Key is one resort. Hopefully we will make a trip and stay there rather than just do excursions while on a cruise. We made sure our second cruise had Roatan as a destination.

Last edited:

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
Aquba Jordan. Sounds crazy but some of the best diving you will ever do. Then have then take you up to Amman the Capital, the Petra rocks, swim in the dead sea. Great historical and biblical places to go to.