Mercury XR6

lewis9378449

Four Pointer
Guys, need some help. My son just bought a Procraft with a Mercury 150 hp XR6.

We've never been around boats so I'm a dummy when it comes to boats (and plenty other things as well :)). Been doing some reading online about maintenance and such and it appears there is supposed to be buzzer or alarm that beeps when you turn the ignition switch on that lets you know the temp sensor and oil sensor are working properly. Well, this boat doesn't buzz or alarm when you turn on the switch.

I figure I'd look for the buzzer first to make sure its even there and if so if its working and work backwards from there.

Thanks in advance

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
It is usually built in to the ignition switch and has a wire going to it. I bought a boat that had the wire disconnected. Look for it and diagnose from there. It will also come on to warn you of thing like over heating when running.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep, you need to find it. May have been disconnected to mask an underlying problem. If you plan to keep the boat the best money you could spend on it would be a service manual. If I may suggest, check eBay and try to get a factory Mercury manual for that particular motor instead of a generic one. It will be much more detailed.

Then all you will have to do is go to the wiring schematic and find the color code for the buzzer and trace it out. It should be in the console.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
It's about an inch in diameter and will have a purple lead and a brown/green lead. It has it's own connection to the wiring harness, not the ignition switch...