What would you guys do??

Thutty-thutty

Eight Pointer
Here is my pattern from mossberg 835 , Remington nitro turkey #4 at 28 yds. Would you adjust the scope to lower pattern or leave as is??
61e501df46ae813f69fa993365f3ba30.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
If it was mine, I'd shoot it at 40 yards and see what pattern looks like. It could be higher? I'd make adjustments from the 40 results.

Thutty-thutty

Eight Pointer
If it was mine, I'd shoot it at 40 yards and see what pattern looks like. It could be higher? I'd make adjustments from the 40 results.

I'm going head to the local range next Tuesday and test it at 40 . That's a really good idea thanks

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns

without doubt this is way to go you could really miss a bird with a pattern that isn't little better centered. The I'll aim little lower is probably only gonna cause you trouble when in heat of moment many times nt gonna have that perfect comfortable shot I'd center that pattern more and more mportantly you need to know what that pattern looks like at 40 ncase you need to stretch your shot to 40

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would pull the scope off and get rid of yet another variable. Never u derstood the need at turkey distances

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
I usually aim at the wattle/feather line on the neck.
FWIW, my handloads with #2 nickle plated lead in any 835 with a .680 choke installed would be over twice as tight as the load/choke combo shown in your post.
Your 28yd-#4 lead pattern looks about the same size and density as my 40yd-#2 patterns.
There are many better loads out there than those Remingtons.
That load would be adequate at 30-35yds with #4 lead but IMO would not be good past that.
Get several turkey loads and an non-ported Undertaker .696 choke at Wally Mart an pattern them in YOUR gun. The one that I shoot in a store bought shell is the Winchester Longbeard XR #4s. In my 935 with that Undertaker choke, they are capable on game, turkey, coyote and even beaver on land [not swimming] out to about 60-65yds.

Last edited:

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Thutty-thutty, try some longbeards at 40 yds, should you have a shot at that range...if you need to adjust you should do at the expected longest shot you will take...which in most cases is 40. The #6 longbeards are bad medicine in right choke combination...plus you got more pellets than those 4's..Good pattern but look at shots over his head and now you wondering what it will do at a longer distance.

Thutty-thutty

Eight Pointer
Thanks for replies guys, the bushnell scope lasted 3 shots and blew the insides out!!! I'm going back to the old factory 2 bead system. I killed my first 3 turkeys with this gun & load combo with factory sights. I'm considering applying a Bushnell trophy red dot tube, but I don't know if I'll even bother.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
I want the center of the pattern to be at the center of his CNS column/target. That way you have equal margin for error in any direction.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks for replies guys, the bushnell scope lasted 3 shots and blew the insides out!!! I'm going back to the old factory 2 bead system. I killed my first 3 turkeys with this gun & load combo with factory sights. I'm considering applying a Bushnell trophy red dot tube, but I don't know if I'll even bother.

I'm all for the 2 bead has served me well for well over 20 years

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

based on your trail cam pics a bb gun will get the job done for you. :)

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
As was mentioned before, I would try a different shell. If you are shooting factory ammo try 5 or 6 shot in lead or 7 in heavyweight. I'm guessing the pattern will open up a whole lot more out to 40 yards.

In full disclosure, I prefer pattern density to shot size. I could never get 5's to shoot well in my first turkey gun so I used 6's. I've been more than happy with the results. Lead 6's will get the job done without worry if the pattern is even.

Thutty-thutty

Eight Pointer
I'd like to see somebody's pattern of factory #4's so I could compare. I've killed my first3 -4 birds with this same load only reason I put it up was because of the scope. I've put H13 6 through the same choke / gun and saw great patterns out to 50 yds I can put 28-30 pellets in head neck region. I just really like shooting ol copper #4's

Last edited:

Thutty-thutty

Eight Pointer
I've used 20 gauge last 4 years but I missed 2 last year my own stupidity so I want to go back to my roots ( LOL) I also shoot 3" 4's in it (Federal)

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks, posting this pic. I was just wondering have you ever taken out a bird with the .410??

Yes. My .410 is more lethal than my old 12 ga with those 4s.

It's not the gun that does the killing - it's what comes out of it...

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
OK, in most every task, there are many ways to reach the goal and some may be very different from all the others. The first pic is the goal here, the others show patterns shot by me at 40yds. The last pic is one that I ran across while looking for the pattern pics on the PC, hope y'all like it.
That said, these are some of my 12ga - 3.5" - #2 nickle plated lead loads.
I have custom 11"x17" turkey targets printed and all my pattern info is taken from that same 11"x17" area, no matter what I use for target paper this keeps all my data the same.
I shot out an 835 Mossberg back in the '90s working up these loads and shooting Custom loads from Nitro Ammunition http://nitrocompany.com/, literally thousands of loads at max loading pressures/velocities.
Even before that [back to the 10ga #2s in the '70s-'80s] I had decided [and still believe] that #2s were the best turkey shot to be had. Other than the Nitros, you could not buy 3.5" 12ga #2 lead loads. I then became a shotshell reloader these patterns are the result of all that work.
IMO, if a load consistently puts +/- 100 #2 lead shot in a 11'x17" target, you are well fixed to kill every turkey that you shoot at any yardage under 75. This is backed up by the first pic of a bird I shot at 65yds and many more dead birds too.
As I said above there are many ways to bring a bird to hand, #2 lead shot is mine.

Attachments

• 7-10-11 028.jpg
    7-10-11 028.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0067.jpg
    IMG_0067.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0071.jpg
    IMG_0071.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 0
  • image012.jpg
    image012.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Thutty-thutty

Eight Pointer
OK, in most every task, there are many ways to reach the goal and some may be very different from all the others. The first pic is the goal here, the others show patterns shot by me at 40yds. The last pic is one that I ran across while looking for the pattern pics on the PC, hope y'all like it.
That said, these are some of my 12ga - 3.5" - #2 nickle plated lead loads.
I have custom 11"x17" turkey targets printed and all my pattern info is taken from that same 11"x17" area, no matter what I use for target paper this keeps all my data the same.
I shot out an 835 Mossberg back in the '90s working up these loads and shooting Custom loads from Nitro Ammunition http://nitrocompany.com/, literally thousands of loads at max loading pressures/velocities.
Even before that [back to the 10ga #2s in the '70s-'80s] I had decided [and still believe] that #2s were the best turkey shot to be had. Other than the Nitros, you could not buy 3.5" 12ga #2 lead loads. I then became a shotshell reloader these patterns are the result of all that work.
IMO, if a load consistently puts +/- 100 #2 lead shot in a 11'x17" target, you are well fixed to kill every turkey that you shoot at any yardage under 75. This is backed up by the first pic of a bird I shot at 65yds and many more dead birds too.
As I said above there are many ways to bring a bird to hand, #2 lead shot is mine.

I agree #2 would be the king of turkey shot. It's cool you have a great load worked up. Patterns are impressive. That last pic is by far the most impressive!! LOL [emoji23]