SC hunters spend $170 in corn per deer harvested

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
"Based on deer harvest rates which were
part of the ADQP record, it required an average of 1,200 lbs. of bait for each deer harvested.
Given current corn prices of approximately $8 per bushel, this equates to about $170 per deer
harvested above and beyond the typical costs associated with deer hunting"

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/deer/pdf/baitinglaws.pdf

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
part of the ADQP record, it required an average of 1,200 lbs. of bait for each deer harvested.
Given current corn prices of approximately $8 per bushel, this equates to about $170 per deer

Well, go down there and tell them to quit, Goog!!

If it's any of your business I mean!!

ncnat

Ten Pointer
Seems to me that the people in SC suck at baiting if it takes 1200# of corn to kill a deer.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Not surprising. If you fill an electric feeder (or any kind of feeder) year round I'm actually a little surprised it isn't more than that.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I did the math, i have 3 feeders that last 3 weeks with one 50lb bag per feeder. Granted i dont stock them continually (turkey season, acorns, ect) but if i did it would still only come up to $416 for the year. Consider that i kill a minimum of 3 ( usually many more with a wife and 2 kids that hunt) that comes out to a maximum of $136.67 per deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
Hey, listen. I fed deer and pigs over 60 bushels last fall, no exag. I friggin enjoy it. I have killed without corn many times. So, my friggin point is if i didnt enjoy feeding them, running game cams, and relaxing hunts over corn, i wouldnt do it.

So whatever point scdnr is trying to make...and crc as well...like i am wasting money and i suck as a hunter...you are mistaken. But use your energy and brain to believe what you want.

Now if some blowhard wants to criticize what i enjoy? Get. A. Life. I enjoy mine just fine.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
Well dang. I need to up my game. All the deer I killed this year just wasn't enough and I need to start stock piling more corn. Hell since its so expensive I'm going to go get another job just to pay for the 2017 corn bill that i will rack up....

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Well dang. I need to up my game. All the deer I killed this year just wasn't enough and I need to start stock piling more corn. Hell since its so expensive I'm going to go get another job just to pay for the 2017 corn bill that i will rack up....

Friggin yeah!

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer

Where on earth is corn $8 per bushel?? Hasn't been anywhere near that since 2010. National avg. for 2016 crop was just over $4 per bushel.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Me: $320 for corn = Zero deer. I didn't kill a single one I watched, while hunting.

Deer killed without bait = Four.

$3000 on dog food, alone = Zero deer.

Total dues/leases = $2600, Two deer killed on a $700 lease.

Public land = Zero cost, Two deer. (Lifetime Sportsman license paid for over twenty years)

Looks like I could do a lot different, if the only reason I hunt was to kill deer as a trophy or to fill the freezer.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
This is almost as funny as hearing someone say they are a "deer hunter" when I see a dozen bags of corn in the back of their truck. I haven't hunted deer in 20 years. I "shoot" deer. I have two nice stands with tables and chairs, a little bar (have to bring ice in a little cooler), some paperback novels, and a small radio with a ear piece to listen to music or talk radio. Look out over a couple of shooting lanes with a pile a corn at each end. Hunting has absolutely nothing to do with it and in my opinion is just plain stupid to even consider as an option. Once in awhile I invite someone to go deer shooting with me. I tell them plain and simple that if they want to "hunt" deer they need to go someplace else. I'm not putting up with that foolishness.

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
This is almost as funny as hearing someone say they are a "deer hunter" when I see a dozen bags of corn in the back of their truck. I haven't hunted deer in 20 years. I "shoot" deer. I have two nice stands with tables and chairs, a little bar (have to bring ice in a little cooler), some paperback novels, and a small radio with a ear piece to listen to music or talk radio. Look out over a couple of shooting lanes with a pile a corn at each end. Hunting has absolutely nothing to do with it and in my opinion is just plain stupid to even consider as an option. Once in awhile I invite someone to go deer shooting with me. I tell them plain and simple that if they want to "hunt" deer they need to go someplace else. I'm not putting up with that foolishness.

exactly- call it what it is.

no sense denying the obvious. it's easy and fun so why would anyone apologize?

or get defensive?

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Don't even bother trying to put a price tag on your hobbies! Try breaking down the price per pound of fish after an offshore trip. Makes the fish market seem like a bargain.

HorNhnTr

Twelve Pointer
Don't even bother trying to put a price tag on your hobbies! Try breaking down the price per pound of fish after an offshore trip. Makes the fish market seem like a bargain.

My thoughts too... why put a price on what you enjoy? Maybe don't spend time or money on dumb studies telling me how much it cost for me to enjoy things I/we do.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns

When I have compared the cost of my hunting with the cost of a friends hobby of fishing off shore it came up about the same. That includes price of all gear, trucks, boats and every thing in between. Just think of the money I was spending when I could afford the do both. I ought to own a nice house on a large tract of land. LOL
Oh well! I have enjoyed it and will continue while I can.

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
When I have compared the cost of my hunting with the cost of a friends hobby of fishing off shore it came up about the same. That includes price of all gear, trucks, boats and every thing in between. Just think of the money I was spending when I could afford the do both. I ought to own a nice house on a large tract of land. LOL
Oh well! I have enjoyed it and will continue while I can.

Amen. Well said.