Gander Mountain's financial woes ....

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Reuters isn't a fly by night outfit, and I would hope the editorial staff would vet this well, especially as it the rumor can be damaging in and of itself.

For every Circuit City, there is a Delta or American Apparel or Eddy Bauer that comes out of it. Sometimes it is simply to reorganize their obligations.

They have expanded A LOT. And they are way behind on the website game.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Gander has filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy .....

“A Letter to Our Customers”

In all, Gander Mountain will be closing 32 of its 162 stores in the immediate future. That amounts to 19.7% of their stores that span over 26 states. The breakdown of store closures looks like this:
•Texas [10] – Houston, Killeen, Laredo, Lubbock, Round Rock, San Antonio, Sugar Land, Texarkana, Waco, West Houston
•Alabama [4] – Gadsden, Mobile, Montgomery, Tuscaloosa
•Georgia [3] – Augusta, McDonough, Snellville
•Illinois [3] – Algonquin, Champaign, Springfield
•Minnesota [3] – Mankato, Rogers, Woodbury
•Indiana [2] – Greenfield, Merrillville
North Carolina [2] – Raleigh, South Charlotte
•Wisconsin [2] – Eau Claire, Germantown
•New York [1] – New Hartford
•Tennessee [1] – Chattanooga
•West Virginia [1] – Charleston

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Now, this is bothersome.

Rumors, even with no factual basis, can be devastating. Throughout history we can find situations where a rumor started, eventually became true.

A "rumor" that they're going to file, will NOT be a cause of them filing, at least not within a month. IF that happens, it wasn't a rumor. BUT, it could severely hamstring any future acquisitions or "shifts" where they might need investors funds.

I sat through a presentation on "Shifts" this week. And a very similar situation was the key. Sears Catalog (notice Gander started out as a Catalog), for many years, was THEE go to for anything from Bra's to Compound Bows. Eventually, it disappeared. Know what replaced it? Amazon.

Gander mtn prides themselves in this article as having 162 stores in 26 states. That is MASSIVE Overhead! Now, think about how many aisles in those stores are moving products at a snails pace. Guns, Boots, maybe clothing move year round. Camping, kayaking, etc, probably not.

The last few years have taught us that sportsmen can in fact wait a few days for certain (eventually most) items they want or need. Having 162 large stores, leases, and employees to run them is probably an unsustainable business model.

I was upset when I saw how small the Cabelas in Garner, NC was at first. Over time, I began to understand it. Especially when I hit "complete order" on their website lol.

The Cabelas in Garner is small? That's the biggest damn store I've ever been in . Of course it is the only Cabelas I've been in.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah....cabelas in garner is small
Compared to some of the large stores that bps and cabellas have in other places.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Compared to some of the large stores that bps and cabellas have in other places.

Yeah several of the older "legacy" stores out west are huge 2story monstrosities. Same with Bass Pro. I always enjoyed Scheels..

With Gander, I wonder how much Academy is hurting them??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

ako_deerking

Twelve Pointer
Problem with say.... The Raleigh store... they are within 2 minutes of DSG. If they had opened up on the other side of wake forest, they would have probably done well. They would have had basically 0 competition for miles and miles.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Winston store is the same way. You can actually see the DSG sign from the parking lot.
Prices just aren't worth it at gander. Heck their "used" gun prices are higher than buying the same ones new.

Only things I ever buy there are items I need in a pinch or stuff that's drastically reduced. The store here in Winston runs great clearance on their offshore lures, jigs, and terminal tackle in the fall. I guess since they're so far from salt that they never sell any of it.

I did buy my Tikka from gander since the were actually competitive once I added in shipping and FFL.

Seems like they have so much money tied up in apparel inventory that they have their prices a lot higher in hunting and fishing items and gear.

But every time I go into a gander, there are people all over the guns/ammo/gear sections and no one buying apparel.

Maybe they want to be like DSG and only sell underarmor jackets and cleats.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
well,,,I read their "official statement" in response to the Reuters reports,,,,,,,if I was betting, I'd bet they are looking at it as an option,,,,,,

http://www.kwch.com/content/news/Report-Gander-Mountain-could-be-preparing-for-bankruptcy-413786393.html

Now, this is bothersome.

Rumors, even with no factual basis, can be devastating. Throughout history we can find situations where a rumor started, eventually became true.

A "rumor" that they're going to file, will NOT be a cause of them filing, at least not within a month. IF that happens, it wasn't a rumor. BUT, it could severely hamstring any future acquisitions or "shifts" where they might need investors funds. .

weren't a rumor, was it Sarge?

double

Twelve Pointer
Most outdoor and sports stores live off of apparel sales. The markup on clothing and shoes is ridiculous when compared to other hunting related gear. When I worked at Dunhams a high ranking company official said the only reason they stock guns is to get people in to buy a shirt.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Most outdoor and sports stores live off of apparel sales. The markup on clothing and shoes is ridiculous when compared to other hunting related gear. When I worked at Dunhams a high ranking company official said the only reason they stock guns is to get people in to buy a shirt.

^^This.^^

I'm not at all surprised the North Raleigh location is shuttering. Aside from the fact that a fair amount of retail up there struggles, I never saw the parking lot full, etc. And, I can't get my fiance to go there but she will go to Morrisville to shop at target, etc...

Redeye

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I work at Dick's in Winston-Salem. I've had Gander employees come to Dicks to buy guns...

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
weren't a rumor, was it Sarge?

Not a rumor at all. Leaked info. Why I couldn't tell you. But it's been in the works since before the rumor started.

And remember, I'm not a Sarge. Never had the guts to join the Military. You are the the ONLY one who can call me Surely. ;).

Problem with say.... The Raleigh store... they are within 2 minutes of DSG. If they had opened up on the other side of wake forest, they would have probably done well. They would have had basically 0 competition for miles and miles.

IF you think DSG is the reason for the closing of the Raleigh store, or any GM store, then you are misinformed. They are 2 pretty/drastically different merchandise and clientele. There are no soccer balls, golf clubs, running shoes, eliptical (sp?) machinces at GM. There is ONLY what is at the back left corner of EVERY DSG I have been to, magnified, in both selection and price.

DSG didn't put GM in this position, BPS, CAB, and home delivery did.

DSG's day is coming. I haven't met anyone (I don't know many people) yet who's ordered something from Dicks.com. Well, I know one guy, but it was an elk herd related matter. Might have been a mistake.

Last edited:

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy

I refer to them as

"Cathedrals".

I have been photographed in front of 5 Cabelas, 4 BPS's.

My poor MRS has never had the pleasure of sharing the 9 hour experience of attending one in person.

You park similar to a nascar race. You have to get up the oomph to walk there. And you mill around the outside for a solid hour. MANY pictures are taken!!!. You finally "enter" the holy land. You don't even get a "cart", the first 3 passes are just to dilute what you THOUGHT you needed, vs now what you can actually hold in your vehicle and make it home safely.

Imagine the ENTIRE Cabelas Catalog you keep behind your toilet......as a STORE!!!! :eek:

It takes DAYS to thumg through that catalog! Imagine being able to pick up those items and press them against your chest and whisper "mine.....you're all MINE!!!".

Then, when your first emotional break becomes obvious, you entice her to the shooting gallery, plunk down maybe $2 in quarters, and impress the MRS with your (no doubt heavily aided) accuracy, and begin the what I call "critical" shopping. IE; what will fit into only 2 shopping carts.

She will begin to fluster. It's in her nature. She can do math. Most Shopping carts hold around $1,500 worth of merchandiise. You have 2. Most of that merchandise is SMALL. So, to alleviate the awkwardness, you suggest the WILD GAME GRILL upstairs, under the yellow airplane, and reward her patience with elk or hog or venison sammiches or hot dogs or etc. You sit at glasstop tables overlooking OLD catalogs, with OLD fishing baits on the sides. These are the catalogs our fathers and grand fathers read and fantasized about. And now SHE"S reading them!!! :greenjump:

By the time you hit the checkout register if she hasn't thrown in an extra $200 in nostalgia into your cart for the trip you're taking that she now supports.......then you've done it wrong!!!!!

Dicks Sporting Goods will NEVER offer that!!! I promise you!!

Last edited:

ako_deerking

Twelve Pointer
Not a rumor at all. Leaked info. Why I couldn't tell you. But it's been in the works since before the rumor started.

And remember, I'm not a Sarge. Never had the guts to join the Military. You are the the ONLY one who can call me Surely. ;).

IF you think DSG is the reason for the closing of the Raleigh store, or any GM store, then you are misinformed. They are 2 pretty/drastically different merchandise and clientele. There are no soccer balls, golf clubs, running shoes, eliptical (sp?) machinces at GM. There is ONLY what is at the back left corner of EVERY DSG I have been to, magnified, in both selection and price.

DSG didn't put GM in this position, BPS, CAB, and home delivery did.

DSG's day is coming. I haven't met anyone (I don't know many people) yet who's ordered something from Dicks.com. Well, I know one guy, but it was an elk herd related matter. Might have been a mistake.

I am not saying DSG is the reason, but opening an outdoor store across from a store that also sells some outdoor equipment isn't a good practice, especially if their prices are that far apart. Had they opened somewhere in NEED of an outdoor store, they would have better luck imo.

double

Twelve Pointer
I am not saying DSG is the reason, but opening an outdoor store across from a store that also sells some outdoor equipment isn't a good practice, especially if their prices are that far apart. Had they opened somewhere in NEED of an outdoor store, they would have better luck imo.

Actually you would be surprised. Lots of stores operate well directly beside their competitors. More people come to the area looking for your product if they can get it in more than one place. It is the reason most restaurants are all in the same area also most car dealerships in a given city will be in very close proximity.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I work at Dick's in Winston-Salem. I've had Gander employees come to Dicks to buy guns...

Just saw the flyer.

Gander Mountain Clearance Starting Today!
Markdowns Will Continue in the Weeks to Come!
Shop in April When All Our Gear is Marked Down to the MSRP!!!!
Everything Must Go!
(Restrictions apply. Sale price must not be lower than manufacturers suggested retail price. No clearance on ammo, guns, equipment, shoes, beef jerky, anything else you actually want, Costa sunglasses, or lead sinkers)

:)

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Just saw the flyer.

Everything Must Go!
(Restrictions apply. Sale price must not be lower than manufacturers suggested retail price. No clearance on ammo, guns, equipment, shoes, beef jerky, anything else you actually want, Costa sunglasses, or lead sinkers)

LOL they are going to start selling everything at the price everyone else does. The best way to shop at Gander is to pull everything you want to buy there on Amazon and then get the 3.99-7.99 overnight shipping. You end up saving 30-50%. Occasionally they would have some decent prices on select guns.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
With all the other stores it would be dumb to not just move the big ticket items and most other stuff and have a one week sale and be done.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
What I seen was the cary store would close but not the NR store.

I think this is where the confusion is taking place. In articles like the following one on guns.com, it lists "North Carolina – Raleigh, South Charlotte". So everyone thinks it's the one in north Raleigh.
http://www.guns.com/2017/03/14/list-which-gander-mountain-stores-are-closing/

In the USA Today and N&O, the list has the full address.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/03/13/gander-mountain-bankruptcy-store-closings/99125958/

It's listed as 2100 Village Market Place, Morrisville, NC 27560 (Raleigh store). That's the store in the Cary area.

Last edited:

hawkman

Eight Pointer
The first time I saw a GM was in Chambersburg, PA. We stopped overnight at the hotel there and in the morning, I thought "What's this? I see kayaks and outdoor stuff!" LOVED IT. They had their own brand of clothing - with most of it available in TALL sizes. I am still wearing a fleece pullover (RIGHT AT THIS MOMENT) that I bought 10 years ago. Their t-shirts were cheap and I wore some of them for a long time.

Soon (and now), the tall sizes in their own brand are few and far between, their prices have ballooned in those areas, and well, yeah - everything else you all have said.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
I will add, that on that first, visit, I asked "Do you have a catalog?" She said they did not. If I recall correctly, they had sold their catalog business to Cabelas and in that, agreed to only have a brick-and-mortar retail.

What changed was when GM bought Overton's in Greenville, NC. By purchasing a company with its own online and catalog business, they were back in. I was initially excited about O's becoming a GM nearby, but they kept their Overtons as is.

The Overtons warehouse (on the 264 bypass north of Greenville, NC) is a shipping warehouse for GM, too. My buddy who lives in Greenville, ordered a treestand from GM. He said it arrived - after being shipped from across town at the Overton's warehouse!

Mallard Cutter

Six Pointer
Just saw the flyer.

Everything Must Go!

Spot on !!!!!

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
Just saw the flyer.

Everything Must Go!

This tells you right off the bat that they are over priced. If their "clearance" will not go below MSRP, then they had their stuff marked way up to start with. MSRP is established by manufacturers to provide a reasonable profit margin for both the store and the manufacturers.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
This tells you right off the bat that they are over priced. If their "clearance" will not go below MSRP, then they had their stuff marked way up to start with. MSRP is established by manufacturers to provide a reasonable profit margin for both the store and the manufacturers.

It was a joke.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
HMMMM, saw it on the news last night.

.... but even if their not in this round, it won't be long. Overpriced and terrible customer service!!

Like all stores some thing priced too hign some priced OK. But as stated a lot was high VS MoJos just across the street and it is a small mom and pop store.

Service did suck several times at Gander. Had to go shop when no one else was there to get service.