Gander Mountain's financial woes ....

mudlake3

Four Pointer
Went to the store by triangle town center, I thought the same with the sale they were still high priced. They don't seem like they are real interested in moving inventory, most hunting gear was only 10% off, I didn't see anything more than 20% and that was clothes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
See, im on the other side of the fence on that.

New owners, new deals, new path.

I will head back. Never know with a new business plan they could come back just as strong or stronger than any other store.

Wonder how many here that stated they are happy it is closing, would never go back will be first in line to get deals when they reopen......?

Yeah, it's hard not to think of the term "vultures" during a situation like this.

I'm all about hitting stores during "sales". Moving old products off of shelves, even at break even, is part of business. But I don't think I've ever ventured into a store I wasn't already a customer of, if it was a "store closing". I FILLED my carrying cart my last time in Gander Mountiain (October 2016), because they had red tag CLEARANCE prices on some of the EXACT items I went in there to buy (BPS Was out mind you). That is me taking advantage of their sale.

But they put HUGE "STORE CLOSING" signs outside... I'm curious who what customer group they are hoping to draw, and what they are hoping to sell?

I'm also curious, what deals were people hoping to find/buy?

Last edited:

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Unless they knock about 25% more off....its still not much of a sale. I was there and checked cabelas on a couple items looking at the phone. Cabelas was cheaper on both items even with the gander mountain "sale".

koszman

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Went to the one in Greensboro Saturday price have been jacked up then give you 10% off. No bargains when I was there.

witler

Eight Pointer
Myself included, people complain about the high prices at Gander. They are a private owned business so you could say that they are a Mom/Pops operation. People say support Mom/Pops but their prices can't compete with the corporate box stores. Most anytime you shop local/private you encounter higher prices.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
When gander mountain first came about, the prices were very competitive. The first year or so had pricing that was on point.

Gun prices are crazy high at times. Ammo is always high.

I looked at a cheap .22 target with the spin plates. $130 for it. Others are putting these on the shelf at $100 or less.

koszman

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I understand gander mountain wil do their close out then reopen as gander outdoors.

koszman

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Yes but the new owners camping world and overtone will reopen all the stores except 2 store in nc under the new name. They have a contest out for the new store logo.

Last edited:

koszman

Ten Pointer
Contributor
They are supposed to change the stores previous concept all to a new format. Only time will tell.

Gilly

Ten Pointer
Went to the Gander on Capital Blvd yesterday. As others have stated, their prices are still way too high even with a 20% mark down. Looked at some rage broadheads for $39.99 plus 20% off. Looked on my phone, Cabelas had them at $29.99. Obviously less than their discount. Tons of merchandise still on the shelves. Wonder when the 50-75% mark down will begin...? Didn't buy anything.

koszman

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Morrisville store had all archery was 60% off. Picked up some rage bolt and broad head combo pack for 35.00 then there is a 20.00 rebate.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Was in Greensboro store yesterday.

All guns "Marked Down" 20%. But there's some good deals.
Couple new Tikka T3x Lite Stainless for $599... Better than any price on the interwebs by $150 and no transfer fee
Ruger American Stainless rifles for $375

Waiting for the really good markdowns to start and might start eyeing the O/U's they've got. Some pretty Beretta, Browning, and CZ shotguns just sitting on the shelf

Oh, and some Danner 800 Gram Gore Tex Pronghorns for $89, which is a heck of a deal if you have feet that like Danner boots... (Luckily my Dad is a Danner man, so just in time for Fathers Day!)

ETA: About the shotguns... They have the Stoeger O/U's for $350 in 12 & 20... They worth that $$?? My main use would be sporadic clays shooting and a loaner/spare gun when I'm on trips...
Anyone else have one??

Last edited:

Fish Head

Eight Pointer
ETA: About the shotguns... They have the Stoeger O/U's for $350 in 12 & 20... They worth that $$?? My main use would be sporadic clays shooting and a loaner/spare gun when I'm on trips...
Anyone else have one??
I have 2 Condors in 12 gauge. Neither has ever failed. They are backup guns. Imo, great guns for the money.

Fish Head

Eight Pointer
I went into Overtons in Greenville on Wednesday. I asked the sales associate where were the AR-15's?
His response, "the new owner made us send them back." I said, "huh?"
Associate, "The new owner is Lebanese & doesn't believe in guns."
I asked him about the rest of the gun inventory & would they still carry sporting guns. He shrugged & said he did not know.
Can you still purchase ARs at Gander?

Last edited:

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Was in Greensboro store yesterday.

All guns "Marked Down" 20%. But there's some good deals.
Couple new Tikka T3x Lite Stainless for $599... Better than any price on the interwebs by $150 and no transfer fee
Ruger American Stainless rifles for $375

Waiting for the really good markdowns to start and might start eyeing the O/U's they've got. Some pretty Beretta, Browning, and CZ shotguns just sitting on the shelf

Oh, and some Danner 800 Gram Gore Tex Pronghorns for $89, which is a heck of a deal if you have feet that like Danner boots... (Luckily my Dad is a Danner man, so just in time for Fathers Day!)

Anyone else have one??

Have seen a few that were good and one that had to be sent back a few times. They are by no means great guns....can get you by when you need it.