Tank less water heater?

Lonehunter

Six Pointer
My gas water heater has a leak! I am thinking about replacing it with a tank less. Been reading up on them. Seems they have a lot of problems with some of them.

What kind does everyone have?

How long, have you had it?

How many GPM is enough?

Any problems with them?

Thanks for any info!

Jeff

agreenchicken

Ten Pointer
Rheem
3 years
No problems as of yet
12gpm
Only thing I do not like about it is if your on the other end of the house it takes the water a while to get warm. Like 1.5 minutes

Last edited:

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
I prefer Rheem as well. Installed quite a few rinnia with very little trouble. Stay away from noritz and navien. Heat trace the piping through the foundation wall is its an exterior install.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Rinnai.....i cant remember the model I have but it has worked great for probably 10 years now.

GTO ONE

Eight Pointer
I have put Rinnai's in service that are still going strong after 14 years, probably over 300 of them. The new ultra series have a recirculate built in that will alleviate the long wait on the end of the line. I install a bunch r98ls units, with it set on 140 you can run 2 shower heads and a kitchen sink before you will see any reduction in flow. If you have a shower with body sprays you may need a larger unit for more flow, but that would be the only time you would need it.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We had a Noritz put in when we built our house in 2005, and its never given us any problems, and the plummer who installed it claimed it could last 25 - 30 years. One thing I'd recommend is if possible, have it mounted inside your garage, not on the exterior walls of the house. Keeping it out of the weather will definitely help extend the life of the unit. yes it takes a few seconds to get hot water to the faucet, but I'll live with that in return for knowing I'm not constantly heating water needlessly, and having to replace a rusted-out water tank every few years.

Last edited:

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
What's a ballpark price on having a tank less unit installed?
Im assuming on how far they have to run pipe, gas line or other things will make the price higher or lower.
The heater is pricey compared to a regular unit and it requires a different regulator than other gas appliances.

I dont remember the price of just the heater but total cost of everything was around $1600.

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
We had a Noritz put in when we built our house in 2005, and its never given us any problems, and the plummer who installed it claimed it could last 25 - 30 years. One thing I'd recommend is if possible, have it mounted inside your garage, not on the exterior walls of the house. Keeping it out of the weather will definitely help extend the life of the unit. yes it takes a few seconds to get hot water to the faucet, but I'll live with that in return for knowing I'm not constantly heating water needlessly, and having to replace a rusted-out water tank every few years.

Good idea on the garage. Mine froze up that night last month when the temps fell to around zero. It's the only time it's happened, but that was a mighty cold morning to be out there thawing it out. I'm sure it would not have frozen in my insulated garage.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I was thinking of putting something like that in my shop to have hot water for the sink just for washing hands and stuff. Is there anything out there that is more economical?

dpoutdoor

Ten Pointer
ive also been thinking of installing a tankless water heater. Anyone have any experiences with them when used with hard water/limestone?

GTO ONE

Eight Pointer
ive also been thinking of installing a tankless water heater. Anyone have any experiences with them when used with hard water/limestone?

If you do you had better have a water softener. If you put it in use with excessive hard water it will void your warranty.

GTO ONE

Eight Pointer
I was thinking of putting something like that in my shop to have hot water for the sink just for washing hands and stuff. Is there anything out there that is more economical?[/QUOTE
Check out an EEmax. Small point of use water heater, downside is you will need 240v to power it. Also the flow rate is not the greatest, unless you get one of the larger units. The smaller units come with a flow restricted aerator you must install on your faucet or you won't have enough hot water

Last edited:

thandy

Ten Pointer
I was thinking of putting something like that in my shop to have hot water for the sink just for washing hands and stuff. Is there anything out there that is more economical?[/QUOTE
Check out an EEmax. Small point of use water heater, downside is you will need 240v to power it. Also the flow rate is not the greatest, unless you get one of the larger units. The smaller units come with a flow restricted aerator you must install on your faucet or you won't have enough hot water

The Eemax work great. We have one in our skinning room and its amazing how clean you can get a deer with hot water. You are right on the flow though we have to keep the pressure low to keep the water hot. It also makes cleaning knifes and the floor much easier.

MoBucks

Old Mossy Horns
Rheem
3 years
No problems as of yet
12gpm
Only thing I do not like about it is if your on the other end of the house it takes the water a while to get warm. Like 1.5 minutes

Would take "within 3 sec" the exact same amount of time if a tank heater was in the same location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Been thinking about same; so I also appreciate the posts. I have an electric H2O heater that is 16 years old so thinking about being proactive before something happens. Who in the area is a good contact/source to come by and give an estimate and do the work? Feel free to PM me. Located outside of Zebulon.