Beavers at work

1gonewrong

Six Pointer
MFDC0003.jpgMFDC0004.jpg I have cut holes in this dam several time and the beavers usually repair it in one night. Must be several of them. This dam extends at least 100 yards across a very swampy creek bottom DSC04084.JPGDSC04087.JPG

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Industrious little fellers,,,,you'd be surprised how much work one of two can get done of a night

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Or rip a hole in that dam and set there on a moonlit night. You can get the whole crowd with some BBs in a shotgun. They are going come fix it, they can't stand it.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
If you don't like trapping and you don't like staying up all night, drive a long piece of PVC through the dam from the backside well below the waterline. Just make sure it sticks out a good ways on both sides of the dam.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
I have shot quiet a few. I break the dam and set up at the dam about 30 minutes before dark. Once, thought I was early but they were already working. Thought I may get one or 2. Got 9. I'd shot one and a few minutes later they'd start back. Mini 14 at about 20 yards. Not just damming the canals that run through the woods, they move up into the fields, too. Don't like to shoot something I won't eat, but the recipes weren't really to my liking.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Don't like to shoot something I won't eat, but the recipes weren't really to my liking.

Then you need to go to the NC State Wildlife dinner next month. They had some of the best barbque, ragu, stew, etc. you can imagine. As a matter of fact, at last year's dinner, the beaver ragu won first place for the wild game plates.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
Don't like to shoot something I won't eat, but the recipes weren't really to my liking.

Then you need to go to the NC State Wildlife dinner next month. They had some of the best barbque, ragu, stew, etc. you can imagine. As a matter of fact, at last year's dinner, the beaver ragu won first place for the wild game plates.

That's two words I'd never expect to see together..............beaver and ragu. But I'll take your word for it and I hope to be able to taste it for myself at the next dinner.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Beware eating beaver, like bear there is a lot of nasty parasites in it. I've heard it's good but I've never had it.

DFisher

Eight Pointer
Or rip a hole in that dam and set there on a moonlit night. You can get the whole crowd with some BBs in a shotgun. They are going come fix it, they can't stand it.

You'll never get them all by shooting them. They get Wise and leave before you clean them out.

1gonewrong

Six Pointer
DSC04146.JPGDSC04131.JPGDSC04139.JPG

Solved the problem with 20 feet of pipe. They have rebuild the dam over the pipe but the acre plus ponds is nearly dry now. I think (hope) the beavers are gone.