What kind of panfish is this? (Merchants millpond state park spillway)

hawkman

Eight Pointer
6aec04a58bf06298bc13bbf1bd8e9fca.jpg

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Cootmeurer

Six Pointer
Agree with Flier. I caught a citation size one last year and it took me a week to be certain what I even had!

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Yep, a flier...

I caught a bass from that spillway when growing up, about 4 1/2 pounds...
On a Mepps...Good times... :)

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
A Flier yep. We used to catch plenty of those down on the Little Pee Dee River in SC they don't grow real big usually but are good eating...

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
They tend to bite where the water is being agitated. You can stir the water with a paddle or when kids we used to throw chunks of rotten logs with a lot of loose trash attached into the pond then start dropping worms around the log. They'd put on a flurry of biting and then taper off so we'd go to a new spot and throw something else into the water.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
We were trying for crappie but had return the canoe at 4pm (on the millpond). Drove over to the dam and used the minnows and #6 gold hooks. You could see the minnow getting hit but some of the panfish we caught (different than a flier) had mouths not much larger in diameter than the minnows!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Love that name, wonder where it came from?

well,,,,back in the day they were known as a frier,,,,,,as in "that's a good frier fish right there",,,,,,,,,,,

then all the Chinese folks moved in ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:cool:

:skeerd: OK - I couldn't resist!!:what:

but at least I tell Irish ethnic jokes too!!:guitar:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
well,,,,back in the day they were known as a frier,,,,,,as in "that's a good frier fish right there",,,,,,,,,,,

then all the Chinese folks moved in ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:cool:

:skeerd: OK - I couldn't resist!!:what:

but at least I tell Irish ethnic jokes too!!:guitar:

you surely get an A for originality. Good one.