Where do you practice your calling?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
If you practice or try out calls prior to entering the woods, where do you play your calls?

mouth calls for me are a driving deal, i have a long commute so that takes care of that.

Others i have played in the house, but my wife shamed me recently by declaring that i sounded like a crippled turkey moaning with each step.:) She does know what they are supposed to sound like.

i was trying to improve some yelping with a trumpet and was spacing the yelps out. it did sound pathetic. LOL

anyone else face such ridicule or have you taken your calling to some private areas?

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
on the front porch or yard, they sound lot different inside to me plus drives the wife nuts. Do lot driving and calling as well always have mouth call in te pocket and a aluminum I keep in door pocket. while fishing in couple state parks after Mid March I'll use them in the park nice when using new call to get a responce

Last edited:

dhsten

Ten Pointer
Mostly with mouth calls in the car on the way to work. My wife has taught my 3 year old to say "DADDY STOP!!" anytime I practice in the house. Also, my 3 year old told me on the way to the babysitter that "no one likes my turkey calls". Ouch

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
That kinda talk reallly hurts in few years maybe you'll have the kid running em then you can all drive the wife crazy

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Mostly with mouth calls in the car on the way to work. My wife has taught my 3 year old to say "DADDY STOP!!" anytime I practice in the house. Also, my 3 year old told me on the way to the babysitter that "no one likes my turkey calls". Ouch

Man, that is messed up. Gonna have to get the young'un calling so the wife is outnumbered by those who like your turkey calls....

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
If you practice or try out calls prior to entering the woods, where do you play your calls?

mouth calls for me are a driving deal, i have a long commute so that takes care of that.

Others i have played in the house, but my wife shamed me recently by declaring that i sounded like a crippled turkey moaning with each step.:) She does know what they are supposed to sound like.

i was trying to improve some yelping with a trumpet and was spacing the yelps out. it did sound pathetic. LOL

anyone else face such ridicule or have you taken your calling to some private areas?
This post made me laugh this morning because before I retired I worked in an office building in NC state govt. My office mate and I had been deer hunting buddies for many years and when he decided to try for turkey he brought his mouth calls to work and would practice them in our office. I bought a crow call that came with an instructional tape that we played on my Dictaphone. Needless to say we had lots of visitors asking what in the world was going on. It was especially funny that people way down the hall heard us but didn't know what it was and went around asking others about it. Good times and good memories.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
This post made me laugh this morning because before I retired I worked in an office building in NC state govt. My office mate and I had been deer hunting buddies for many years and when he decided to try for turkey he brought his mouth calls to work and would practice them in our office. I bought a crow call that came with an instructional tape that we played on my Dictaphone. Needless to say we had lots of visitors asking what in the world was going on. It was especially funny that people way down the hall heard us but didn't know what it was and went around asking others about it. Good times and good memories.

Good One part time Hunter: I can relate.
Recently Walked into what i thought was a empty isolated canteen breakroom, for some unknown reason i decided to do my owl rendition with a loud roll at the end. To my mortification there sat an associate in the back corner.

His eyes were very wide as I explained my "fit" to him :)

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
57835045.jpg

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
I am home all alone during the week, so I get lots of calling done. Then I go outside and let it roll.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
The wife has a phone video of me sitting at the breakfast table working on my calling ( I had no IDEA she was filming it ) lets just say , I practice outside the house now.

Last edited:

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
I'm a truck driver, I have plenty of time to practice. I learned how to play a trumpet one handed driving. That said I practice everywhere. I have calls all over the house and I'll walk by one pick it up and start playing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

silverado9306

Button Buck
Outside or in the truck. Neighbors have some tame turkey's fenced up so I like to mess with them. They really like my aluminum pot call...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

1gonewrong

Six Pointer
I tried in the house once and my wife came to see what was going on. I told her I was trying to call a turkey and it worked. Wish I hadn't said that.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Funny it actually drives me crazy to hear someone practicing with a turkey call. But I keep a mouth call in the visor or my truck and practice when going down the rd. I keep in more to get use to it in my mouth again.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Funny it actually drives me crazy to hear someone practicing with a turkey call. But I keep a mouth call in the visor or my truck and practice when going down the rd. I keep in more to get use to it in my mouth again.

you better stay away from the dixie turkey classic . :)

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
To be totally honest, and I'm a little ashamed to confess this...I don't practice much anymore. I ought to but I really don't. When I'm reloading my vest each Spring though, I'll give each call a test. And it's funny...I can sense just how much "testing" I can get away with before my wife says something. She usually doesn't....but I can always tell she was just about to. :)

smilliganqb

Eight Pointer
I practice on my car rides to work and when my wife is out of the house I'll practice inside. I have a Lab husky mix and sometimes I'll practice behind the house just to get him howling for fun lol.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Good One part time Hunter: I can relate.
Recently Walked into what i thought was a empty isolated canteen breakroom, for some unknown reason i decided to do my owl rendition with a loud roll at the end. To my mortification there sat an associate in the back corner.

His eyes were very wide as I explained my "fit" to him :)

Funny you say that, I've picked up the bad habit of doing owl hoots out of nowhere. All of my friends have noted their displeasure with it [emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
make sure to get that "laughing" part in. That cat on the mossy oak turkey show is the best i have heard. bob walker

that'll really "impress" your friends. :)

Last edited: