360 Dan Wesson

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have an H&R Handi Rifle in .357 magnum. I could ream to .357 Remington Maximum as a lot of guys have done but would rather not. From my research it appears that most have a long chamber and will accept the 360 DW cases. Does anyone by chance have one piece of brass they would mail me for a trial fitting?

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just out of idle curiosity why wouldn't you go with the .357 Rem Maximum?

<>< Fish

If the 360 will fit as I suspect, it's a free upgrade save the cost of brass. Renting a reamer and shipping two ways or finding a smith will get pricey. The 360 will throw a 180 gr bullet at 357 158 gr bullet speeds....

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Just buy a 357 max reamer or rent one.

I have a box of brass and have been thinking the same.

Should not be a hard thing and you can hand ream it.

Last edited:

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just buy a 357 max reamer or rent one.

I have a box of brass and have been thinking the same.

Should not be a hard thing and you can hand ream it.

How far are you from Raleigh? I'll split with ya and you can do them both :D

Last edited:

pinkfletch

Ten Pointer
As somewhat of a "Max" fan having 6 firearms in that chamber, just remember that the chamber pressure in the "Max" is greater than a 30-06 and be safe.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
As somewhat of a "Max" fan having 6 firearms in that chamber, just remember that the chamber pressure in the "Max" is greater than a 30-06 and be safe.

So you are saying the .357 Max operates in the high 50,000 to 60,000 psi range? Care to share that load and pressure data?

<>< Fish

pinkfletch

Ten Pointer
So you are saying the .357 Max operates in the high 50,000 to 60,000 psi range? Care to share that load and pressure data?

<>< Fish
I will have to go look it up. If I recall, when Elgin Gates developed the cartridge the test results showed around 63,000cup. All my books are in storage and it may take a couple days.

pinkfletch

Ten Pointer
Well wouldn't you know it was in the first box I opened. I must apologize for my bad rememberer. In the book "Shooting Steel" printed by the International Handgun Silhouette Assn. I found 2 references to where the operating pressure of the 357 Maximum/Supermag was in the 50-51,000cup range which is why a small rifle primer is required.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Well wouldn't you know it was in the first box I opened. I must apologize for my bad rememberer. In the book "Shooting Steel" printed by the International Handgun Silhouette Assn. I found 2 references to where the operating pressure of the 357 Maximum/Supermag was in the 50-51,000cup range which is why a small rifle primer is required.

SAAMI Has the .357 Rem Max listed at 40,000psi. Operating at 50-51,000 cup seems like a risky endeavor to me!

<>< Fish

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
360 DW on left 357 Mag on right. Max loads are 2 gr higher in 125's and 4 gr in 158's. Gives a decent step up in velocity.

IMG_0059.jpg

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
If I were gonna do that, I would just go to a 35Rem chamber, better ballistics, brass is cheaper and easier to get.

Last edited:

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If I were gonna do that, I would just go to a 35Rem chamber, better ballistics, brass is cheaper and easier to get.

I could ream to a 357 Remington Maximum easier, and be near a 35 Remington performance. The .360 fits as is and doesn't cost me anything other than brass. I should get 125gr 357 mag speeds with 158 gr bullets in the 360 DW cases. Besides 360 just sounds cool :cool: ;)

Last edited: